SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Had pretty much the same thing happen with a similar sound. Turns out in my case it was a bad bullet connector or bullet connector solder joint so the motor dropped one of its 3 phases. I identified which connector was bad and replaced it. Worked fine. Obviously there are other possibilities like a seized bearing or a loose magnet.
Here it's really seized up, the motor won't yield when the prop is pushed by hand (should rotate fairly easily). I had a badly soldered connector on a Bixler and the symptoms were somewhat similar, so I tried to restart it once or twice during the flight.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan View Post
We wilIn the MEANTIME, however, our Turnigy 9X's with er9X firmware and the FrSky module/receiver are ROCK SOLID. So I'm pretty happy with FINALLY getting NO glitching. I tested it all week (so far only in my Bixler 1.1...but will test with the SSS soon) and it was completely and utterly glitch-free. So I'm a HUGE new fan boi of anything made by FrSky. Great stuff!
FrSky beeps a lot when I get into some not so big distance, not sure if it's just conservative. Previously I flew a rock bottom cheap HK 6-channel radio and never ever had slightest problem, not even at 700-800 m distance.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Old Sep 30, 2014, 05:43 PM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Hi all, I'm very interested in this plane for doing some casual AP and have been slowly reading the entire thread for the last couple weeks.

Right now I'm on page 158 and for the last dozen or so pages I've been reading about an in flight catastrophic failure on chanyote66's plane where the top part of the fuselage which holds the wing in place just came off unprovoked!

And I've been reading about possible reinforcements and workarounds, etc. but the information is nearly 2 years old now.

Have there been any more reports of the fuse breaking up in flight? Is the current version of the SSS stronger? I was planning on getting the kit version so that I could run some wires inside for lights, etc. And also to allow some customization.

Did chanyote66 ever figure out exactly why his fuse broke apart in mid-air? Like unseen damage from a prior crash or high stress aerobatics, etc?

Thanks for any info!
Hello,
I have been flying my SSS for over a year now. My SSS is my short/medium range (2-3 Miles) FPV aircraft. would go longer range but I dont have enough battery power to go LONNG range. I fly this as a airliner style as much as possible. smooth and gentle and it does fly very stable inherently. Level flight with gentle turns. although it will turn sharply with no trouble at all. I have heard about the weak wing saddle so I decided never to do loops , rolls or pull and high G maneuvers. I have reinforced the wing saddle the best I could with extreme packing tape and all seems very solid to date. I do check periodically the wing saddle for any issues but all seems good so far. I upgraded the wing spar with the hollow carbon fiber tube to save weight. The wing still fits very tight . I know there are many very good fpv models out there but the SSS when treated with TLC has proven to hold up well. Hope this info helps.
coa106 is offline Find More Posts by coa106
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:14 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coa106 View Post
Hello,
I have been flying my SSS for over a year now. My SSS is my short/medium range (2-3 Miles) FPV aircraft. would go longer range but I dont have enough battery power to go LONNG range. I fly this as a airliner style as much as possible. smooth and gentle and it does fly very stable inherently. Level flight with gentle turns. although it will turn sharply with no trouble at all. I have heard about the weak wing saddle so I decided never to do loops , rolls or pull and high G maneuvers. I have reinforced the wing saddle the best I could with extreme packing tape and all seems very solid to date. I do check periodically the wing saddle for any issues but all seems good so far. I upgraded the wing spar with the hollow carbon fiber tube to save weight. The wing still fits very tight . I know there are many very good fpv models out there but the SSS when treated with TLC has proven to hold up well. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to catch up.

I finished reading the whole thread though! Am still considering this plane as my aerial video platform. Maybe I'll treat myself with a purchase before the end of the year. And I also read about the Nitroplanes version; seems to have a couple of neat features too.

Still researching...
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Oct 26, 2014, 05:32 PM
Smooth landings!
Lebanon, Oregon
Joined May 2002
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to catch up.

I finished reading the whole thread though! Am still considering this plane as my aerial video platform. Maybe I'll treat myself with a purchase before the end of the year. And I also read about the Nitroplanes version; seems to have a couple of neat features too.

Still researching...
Yeah, but I wouldn't buy anything from Nitroplanes. They cheated me, and they will likely cheat you too, at some point.
mikrodon is offline Find More Posts by mikrodon
Old Nov 02, 2014, 12:09 PM
AD-26 Shenandoah
United States, OH, Lexington
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
They cheated me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikrodon View Post
Yeah, but I wouldn't buy anything from Nitroplanes. They cheated me, and they will likely cheat you too, at some point.
I'm starting back to flying after 30+ years, I have an airfield extreme surfer I bought from them this past September and have used their tech line a number of times. They shipped fast and always gotten back to me the next day when I had questions.
Sorry to hear your being cheated, in my own opinion I have though of them as an asset to the hobby.
Thanks for the heads up, I hope I won't be cheated like you.
motnosam is offline Find More Posts by motnosam
Last edited by motnosam; Nov 02, 2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:18 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
I have purchased many items over the years with Nitro Planes and have never had any issues.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,525 Posts
I've only made one purchase from Nitroplanes, a Dynam A-10, but it works fine and I've had no issues.

This big plane is still on my list. I have three on the list now and haven't decided on priority yet. The big glider kit is close to the same price as the other two which are plug and play.

All in good time though!
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:05 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,084 Posts
Nitroplanes gets a thumbs up from me. Of the guys I know, anyone that had a problem and contacted them respectfully had great resolutions/outcomes. I had an order this past spring that never arrived and their emails were odd, so after about 5 or 6 weeks of waiting I contacted them respectfully because I knew something unusual happened. It turned out to be a glitch in their website that they were unaware of. They were very apologetic and thanked me for uncovering the glitch. The order had several batteries in it, and NP threw in an extra battery for the delay hassle and the entire order arrived like 3 days later. NP hasn't been around for years by screwing people. Giving people the benefit of doubt and treating them with respect goes a long way.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2014
13 Posts
Well I have been working on getting this plane ready for some good flights and it is starting to come together. I got 10,000 feet the other day! Although that may not seem like much to most it was a lot for me. I have never been that far. I will say however that is will go way farther just for my comfort level I turned back and set a new goal for the next flight. I currently run the ezuhf long range and 1.3ghz video from rmrc. I didn't even have a glitch in video. It all ran solid. Real fun flight and more to come!
Super Sky Surfer Ephraim airport long distance run (3 min 58 sec)
bcraneful is online now Find More Posts by bcraneful
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:12 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
what kind of price tag for a uhf system like that?
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
Joined Jan 2013
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
what kind of price tag for a uhf system like that?
They can get pricey but there is a cheaper option for those tight on funds (like I was when my SSS wasn't collecting dust) and that's the orangerx openlrs Rout. I still have my turnigy 9xr paired with that and still serves me well.
Disp0sablehero is offline Find More Posts by Disp0sablehero
Old Dec 11, 2014, 05:11 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcraneful View Post
Well I have been working on getting this plane ready for some good flights and it is starting to come together. I got 10,000 feet the other day! Although that may not seem like much to most it was a lot for me. I have never been that far. I will say however that is will go way farther just for my comfort level I turned back and set a new goal for the next flight. I currently run the ezuhf long range and 1.3ghz video from rmrc. I didn't even have a glitch in video. It all ran solid. Real fun flight and more to come!
Just curious but are you flying in airspace you aren't supposed to fly in?
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet