HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Pilot is just a little person with very long legs.
Yes, besides having trouble reaching the rudder pedals, he must also have long arms to reach the throttles and stick, not to mention having really good eyes to see the distant instrument panel.

Gene
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:04 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
117 Posts
Hey guys,

yesterday I had to climb on a really high tree becasue of VSTOL landing my hawk. It was the consequence of receiver signal lost. I forgot to programm the fail safe and because of this the litle red rocket flew away with full throttle

Has anybody of you experience with this orange RX415 and a lost signal? I changed the position of the receiver in my hawk from "next to the elev servo" some cm back to the small hole behind the cockpit. When the receiver was next to the elev servo I made a little leak into the foam to put the antenna outside of the airframe. I don't know if this produced an effect...what do you think?

Now at the new receiver position the antenna is inside the airframe. This works about 20 flight till yesterday. Or is this normal with such small receivers?

@Joe
Is the hand launch with the A-10 as easy as it looks on the video?My hawk needs a really strong toss!

Regards
warbird_one is online now Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:32 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hey guys,

yesterday I had to climb on a really high tree becasue of VSTOL landing my hawk. It was the consequence of receiver signal lost. I forgot to programm the fail safe and because of this the litle red rocket flew away with full throttle

Has anybody of you experience with this orange RX415 and a lost signal? I changed the position of the receiver in my hawk from "next to the elev servo" some cm back to the small hole behind the cockpit. When the receiver was next to the elev servo I made a little leak into the foam to put the antenna outside of the airframe. I don't know if this produced an effect...what do you think?

Now at the new receiver position the antenna is inside the airframe. This works about 20 flight till yesterday. Or is this normal with such small receivers?

@Joe
Is the hand launch with the A-10 as easy as it looks on the video?My hawk needs a really strong toss!

Regards
I read so many people complaining about spectrum radio ... that I'm impressed about how much it is popular.

I'm using a FrSky module on my old FM radio (still using FM for my bigger aeroplane) ... I have the micro 5ch RX from FrSky ... it connect in no time (a big plus in case of any power line issue) ... and I was surprise it has incredible range ... once I got out of orientation on my red Hawk 35mm ... and it fly far away from me ... it was easily 300m far from me ... just a little red point in the sky ... with good luck I figure out the orientation (just look how was moving the point in the sky based on my TX signal) and it came back to me, luckily radio signal was 100% solid ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I place the RX behind the elevator servo ... for have full free the nose for the battery ..
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:06 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Spectrum is nice and I use it in all my planes larger than park flyers. I have stopped buying the Spectrum park flyer receivers though and now use clones for those size planes. 3 Spectrum park flyer receivers died on me this year, all of them about 3 years old and out of warranty. To expensive a receiver for that game.

I have found that my T45 launches better when thrown side arm with my left hand holding the right wing, and with as strong a throw as i can get. The resultant launch propels the plane 10 feet into the air with the left wing slightly high and then torque puts the plane into a gentle left turn. Last night I enjoyed two good launches in a row! Something new with this plane. Still using 450 2s.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:37 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Spectrum is nice and I use it in all my planes larger than park flyers. I have stopped buying the Spectrum park flyer receivers though and now use clones for those size planes. 3 Spectrum park flyer receivers died on me this year, all of them about 3 years old and out of warranty. To expensive a receiver for that game.....
I never killed any RX in my life ... and I have some that are almost 10 years old

Amazing ... what you said sound like Spectrum is JUNK ... but you like it ... and you are not alone ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The 450 2S is way too big and heavy ... go for a nice 300mAh 2S ... and you can see on my video ... stock T45 35mm it does also loops like the 3S setup , with a good and light 2S lipo
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,486 Posts
Quote:
@Joe

Regards
Yes. Gotta remember, twins means twice the thrust.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:47 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quick thrust test of F15 airframe with 1 Jpower motor & housing with AEO35mm 8-blade fan vs stock fan.
AEO rotor: 84g 6.28A
Jpower rotor: 77g 4.82A

one observation, F15 airframe breathes much better than Mig15 or F86, both of which barely produce over 60g thrust.

AEO 35mm 8-blade rotor vs Jpower 5 blade rotor (1 min 53 sec)
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
Quick thrust test of F15 airframe with 1 Jpower motor & housing with AEO35mm 8-blade fan vs stock fan.
AEO rotor: 84g 6.28A
Jpower rotor: 77g 4.82A

one observation, F15 airframe breathes much better than Mig15 or F86, both of which barely produce over 60g thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2syKZ_EbM
Nice test, and yes... the F-15 breathes well. Based on those figures, I assume 2s voltage?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Nice test, and yes... the F-15 breathes well. Based on those figures, I assume 2s voltage?
Yes, 2s voltage, sorry video was a bit blurry. I'm going to go for 2 of these for the F15, should be enough 84x2 =168, bare airframe is 87g + 82g estimate for gear, almost 1:1.

I made a mistake in the video text, the AEO rotor was run with a Thunderbird 6 esc which is why I didnt keep it at full throttle for long. I am in the process of swapping it with a Phoenix 10, I'm worried the Tunderbird 6 wont hold up at 6.2 A.

How much thust did you get on 3s with the stock rotors?
Last edited by green_flyer; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
How much thust did you get on 3s with the stock rotors?
That was one test I neglected to perform. I do that when I get off work.

I did get 14.7 amps on 3s for the pair using 3 blade impellers as a referance.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Stock EDF's and motors, x2 12a esc's, Nano-Tech 3s 460mAh 25c, 5 bladed fans

16.8 Peak amps - 178.3 Peak watts.
I got 16.8a peak with the 5 blades on 3s

queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I never killed any RX in my life ... and I have some that are almost 10 years old

Amazing ... what you said sound like Spectrum is JUNK ... but you like it ... and you are not alone ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The 450 2S is way too big and heavy ... go for a nice 300mAh 2S ... and you can see on my video ... stock T45 35mm it does also loops like the 3S setup , with a good and light 2S lipo
I do like the Spectrum radios and continue to use them. I just lost 3 of the parkflyer and decided to use cheaper parkflyer. If one goes I would rather be out $8 instead of $50. Thats all I meant, Spectrum I do like! Thanks for the tip on the battery, I am going to try one on my next order.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Last edited by bps; Sep 05, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clairification
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:37 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
117 Posts
Ok guys,
I was always confident with all of my Spectrum receivers. I have about 10 R610 (2 + satelite in 450 heli). I never lost a signal with the R610! The problem tuesday was the first time. Now I programmed the R415 failsafe to 0% throttle. Next time when I lose the signal I will not be afraid becasue without thrust the hawk will come down quick. Only thing I hope is that the "runnway" will not be a tree again

Quote:
Yes. Gotta remember, twins means twice the thrust.
When I have a new transmitter (all models in my DX6 are in use) I will order one. How long can you fly with the 800mAh lipo you were talking about in your review? Thinking about using 2 x 2S 370mAh in paralell or 1000mAh 2S witout landing gear.
warbird_one is online now Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:42 AM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
That was one test I neglected to perform. I do that when I get off work.

I did get 14.7 amps on 3s for the pair using 3 blade impellers as a referance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I got 16.8a peak with the 5 blades on 3s
Thanks guys, so the amps are not much higher on 3s, thats good to know.

Out of curiosity I weighed some of the bare airframes.
F15 86.9g
Mig 29 68.4g
Hawk 46.5g
A10 58.8g

A10 airframe is very light for a twin. F15 is a bit porky but I guess its got the wing area to carry it.

Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:51 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Ok guys,
I was always confident with all of my Spectrum receivers. I have about 10 R610 (2 + satelite in 450 heli). I never lost a signal with the R610! The problem tuesday was the first time. Now I programmed the R415 failsafe to 0% throttle. Next time when I lose the signal I will not be afraid becasue without thrust the hawk will come down quick. Only thing I hope is that the "runnway" will not be a tree again
How did you set the failsafe for the R415 and 610?

I was under the impression that the R415 and R610 failsafes are not programmable and always defaults to 0% throttle + last position hold for other switches.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre