SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2005
21 Posts
Servo wires

Hi, I have a foamy with hitec hs55 servos. The wires are very long and I wanted to make them shorter to loose som grams, would this affect the servo´s performance? I was told that it would affect the servos speed is this true?

Thanks

Gabriel
gabriel s21 is offline Find More Posts by gabriel s21
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:16 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hi Gabriel,

I've done a number of 'custom' servo installations over the years, from shared power wiring configurations to extensions as well as lead shortening.

What I can tell you based on that experience is that shortening the leads does not affect servo performance from a speed standpoint. Rather, lengthening leadwires increases the potential for voltage drops across the wiring and that will slow down servo response due to lower available servo motor drive voltage.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:38 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
making them shorter won't affect performance in a negative way.. Just make sure you reconnect and shield each wire carefully, and if you use solder, don't use too much. Twist wire ends neatly and heat shrink tightly should be adequate.
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2005
21 Posts
Thanks a lot guys
gabriel s21 is offline Find More Posts by gabriel s21