SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:39 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Build Log
F-4 Phantom SloperJoe Style

Not much building being posted, so I thought I'd post this to get things going. The parts had been cut out for over a year, so that shows you how I've been doing. Just needed a little project to get jump started with building period. I'm doing this just like SloperJoe, with the exception of equipment placement for cg purposes. Here's the electronics used:

AR6300 rcvr
AEO 27mm EDF unit
Turnigy Plush 6 amp ESC
BA S0251 Servos x2
TP 250mAh 25C 2S and 3S batts

Looking at 80g or less AUW for a 12" WS. At this size, room is at a premium and the servos and rcvr will be mounted behind the cg, on the spine. The ESC will lay right in front of the EDF for cooling. I've used the AEO 27mm before in a X-44 so at 80g I know it has the stuff to fly the plane. Only worry is that the F-4 is a very draggy airframe. We'll see. Here's what's done so far.
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:59 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
yeaaaaaa!
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:56 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
I'll try and do your build some justice
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:24 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
Nice build.

Where are the plans?
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:02 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Well, got a bit of time to work on the Phantom. All electronics is installed and checked out. Need to sand, sand, and sand. Then I can cut out the tailerons, glue the horiz/vert stabs, install the servos and linkage. I'll cut out the batt hatch last thing and then I'm done, hopefully tomorrow. As is right now I'm at 79g. Not sure how much I will lose sanding, but I'm taking off all I can. Here's a few pics.

Diazarus6660 just check out SloperJoe's original thread. Mine is 40% of the original 30" WS plans. But there is a 50mm plan and even a thread for a micro. That's how long I had these parts cut out. Kinda slow on the builds.

Ksqm
Old Feb 23, 2014, 03:29 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Nice!!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:51 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
380 Posts
Wow, that looks real good Nice job.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:46 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Got some sanding done today on the fuse. Had no build time over the weekend. Decided I needed a bit of inspiration, so I went and found some. I knew if I stayed home, there would be no sanding. So... pics speak for them self. Nothing like having a plane to yourself to inspire you. Aiming to get the tail feathers done tomorrow, time permitting. More to come.

Ksqm
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:58 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Just an IPhone update, sorry no pics. Finished putting the tail feathers on last night, with tailerons cut and taped on. Servos are installed, but I'm thinking about shortening the control horns some. Alls that's left is hooking up servo linkage, cutting batt hatch, then maiden to earn her colors. Problem is, I'm tied up til Sunday evening at the earliest. So... I don't think she'll be flight ready until Monday/Tuesday.

Now, I have this crazy idea to ROG this plane. Originally, I was hoping to have it done for an indoor fly in. So, I'm going to see if I can get access to a gym for some trial runs. Anyway, the weather has been real crappy and cold, so why not! Will post pics when she's ready to fly. More to come.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 02:30 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
This was always my favorite fighter jet. When I was a kid my first plastic scale model was of thIs plane. I would most likely still have it today but my pellet rifle fell off the wall and landed on it destroying it. Oh well. Still love this plane. Looking good. Maybe I'll do one of these next! :-) as if I don't have enough on my plate... lol
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Mar 01, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
Yeah, get that Bone done Dude! Looks like your getting close. I've had the plans printed in 3 sizes for a while now. But after this build, I have a Spark Vark that's been cut out for a couple of years. It's time to get'er done.
Last edited by ksqm; Mar 01, 2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Mar 01, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
I have another 50mm version cut out but havent had time lately to build either...I also have another micro harrier cut out and unbuilt yet too....grrrr...I will get both done soon though.

waiting to hear how she flies ksqm, looks gooood!

Joe
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:50 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
I'm a big fan of your builds Joe. When you first did your F-4 I just had to do one. I'm almost there. Big Thanks for the build!

Ksqm
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
I thank you very much
its my pleasure.

Joe