SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Discussion
New big four strokes spotted at Nuremberg

Looks like a 70cc from NGH, and I am guessing this is the new OS 40cc.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:08 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
That 70cc NGH engine is interesting. I can see it being a substitute for using a 50cc two stroke engine. I guess they are using some imagination and creativity as I don't see OS as having ever made a engine with anything using upper end parts at around 70cc in size before. So they had to scale up the design to 70cc then.

The OS engine does look pretty good too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:26 PM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Nice one Tom

Lovely engines, but I'd still like the OS to also have beam mounting.
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:17 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,871 Posts
Any pricing on these guy's? I think we are seeing just the beginning of something extremely cool!

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxipt View Post
Nice one Tom

Lovely engines, but I'd still like the OS to also have beam mounting.
Yes they do remind me of the K&B sport engine, but a bit fragile in case of a crash no ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:44 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
I have heard some rumours that NGH has some new developments .Such as using composite on 4 strokes.Also heard about a 38CC 4 str. pro version.
turk1 is offline Find More Posts by turk1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:00 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Any pricing on these guy's? I think we are seeing just the beginning of something extremely cool!

Bill
Looking at the Japanese information about the OS 40cc four stroke engine has the price at around $800 US or so maybe more by the time it gets in the USA. I would guess that the NGH 70cc four stroke engine is probably priced under $500 maybe. The NGH 38cc four stroke engine is going for $369 at this time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:17 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk1 View Post
I have heard some rumours that NGH has some new developments .Such as using composite on 4 strokes.Also heard about a 38CC 4 str. pro version.
Nothing wrong with a composite used in the right application like a valve cover or back plate. The automotive industry has been using them for a while now on engines.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
I could see a composite crankcase in some cases as working OK too. If the crankshaft has ball bearings or roller bearings, then it isn't putting wear into the crankcase anyway. If the engine has a bolt on cylinder/head unit then there shouldn't be too much heat getting down into the crankcase to cause problems. Or they could put in some extra cooling fins or something to help out as well. Same for a four stroke engine where the camshaft would ride on ball bearings or roller bearings too. But with a four stroke engine, the temperature differences could affect the valve gap, but maybe not enough to be a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:32 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I could see a composite crankcase in some cases as working OK too. If the crankshaft has ball bearings or roller bearings, then it isn't putting wear into the crankcase anyway. If the engine has a bolt on cylinder/head unit then there shouldn't be too much heat getting down into the crankcase to cause problems. Or they could put in some extra cooling fins or something to help out as well. Same for a four stroke engine where the camshaft would ride on ball bearings or roller bearings too. But with a four stroke engine, the temperature differences could affect the valve gap, but maybe not enough to be a problem.
manufacturers have been trying and failing at it for years, by the time you get it strong enough you're back up to the weight of cast aluminium but with added manufacturing complexity that costs more than what you would save on raw materials. of course i'm talking about regular old cheap stuff like glass filled nylon, not some exotic composite.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
632 Posts
If I was NGH I would worry about getting their engines running reliably first and not worry about gimmicks and pretty anodising just to get sales etc . There not the only ones like magnum who machine the outside of the engine to look pretty but not the inside where the bearings sit . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Hi ANZAC,NGH 's are good engines. Running well,simple,reliable(Except GT9).Some slight flaws(like easy stripping muffler bolts) are fixing immediately also.
Michael is now very busy to develop new engines.I believe they will be all good engines too.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:24 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
632 Posts
Howdy there Turk I read somewhere that some were having problems with there 38cc 4 stroke . I wonder if the 9cc will make a reappearance other than at hobby king ? I pulled the trigger on evolutions new 10cc gasser as the reviews seem to be all good . Not being familer with petrol engines I cant afford to have to tinker with these babies but lets hope Michaels engines will be ok in the long run .Do we really need to have parts that could shatter with a little whopsey or melt with a lean run ? Just give me good quality alloy thats fit for its job anyday . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Last edited by the pope; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: why not
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:49 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Howdy ANZAC.Also NGH GT9 is a good engine(fixed con rod) but regulator system misfit.
I solve it by removing regulator(only pump function),adding a return line from carb inlet and some profile changed LSN. LSN is the key factor here.I informed Michael for it but he is so busy to develop new engines, he said no time to spare for GT9.
Believe me the simple design of NGH engines(no reed valves,seperate liner,front carb.) makes it worth to buy.I dont know any 4 str. problems except mounting strut conflict on something.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Neat engines. I'd love to hear them in the air.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k