HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,839 Posts
I say this thread is suddenly a lot more interesting now that you are trying to figure out how to make this thing actually fly . Perfectly successful is boring.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
1,001 Posts
Agreed
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89 View Post

Just try the dolly!

Or launch from a cradle plane....
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,001 Posts
Ya, attach it to the top of a plane like the space shuttle and build in a release. Lol. Just kidding, would be cool though.
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89 View Post
Ya, attach it to the top of a plane like the space shuttle and build in a release. Lol. Just kidding, would be cool though.
I have done that with a 2m glider, but the cradle produces more drag than actually towing the plane, so the tug needs to have plenty of power.

Phillip C
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,713 Posts
Tons of aero tow advice and assistace here ...
http://www.rcaerotowing.com/
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
The guys over at RCAerotowing have been giving me lots of support. They're all into this build too. I actually fly with a few of the RCAerotowing founders, so I'm in good hands. Yeah if you're interested in aerotowing, that's the place to go for sure.

We played around with piggy back cradles back in the '80s. We had a Telemaster 40 setup for hauling two meter gliders atop its wing. Although it worked okay we ended up going back to using the high-start, it was just simpler but not as fun.

That's interesting that you guys in Denmark have been hand launching your gliders while aerotowing. My flying buddy Bernd suggested we try that but everyone at the field shot down the idea. I found this video showing that it is possible...

YouTube video, click to watch...
Hand Launch Aerotow

I agree though my little Cub maybe a little too weighty for that but its a possibility. Maybe we'll give it a try.

The guppy shape of the fuselage is a major problem. She's rocking forward while under tow. This places the wing at a negative AOA, which maybe okay once she gets moving enough for the elevator to kick in.

When we towed her, I noticed the Fun-Cub was getting airborne first. I've seen this happen before & ordinarily its not ideal but that maybe exactly what's needed here. Once the tow-plane is up she'll be pulling up on the Cub's nose. That should in theory help get her un-glued from the ground. That's assuming the tow-plane doesn't stall out first.

I'm hoping the dolly will fix all this though. It should keep her at a nice neutral AOA & also reduce the rolling friction.

If I was to build a new fuselage (which I may consider but we're not at that point yet) here's what I'd do different...

A more forward position for the wheel should keep her from nosing over & help reduce friction. It looks like we'd also need a small tail-skid to keep the AOA from getting too extreme. Additionally, placing the tow-release up under the nose would reduce the tendency for her to rock forward. I have the release setup this way on one of my other aerotow gliders & it works well. Anyway that'd require major surgery, probably a whole new fuselage. I'm not giving up on the current setup just yet.

I think our next step is to try the dolly though. I've also had a few offers from folks with larger tow-planes. We'll get her flying. Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Last edited by Nodd; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,713 Posts
Dollys with large, narrow tires and Good bearing should NOT offer much resistance. IMHO

Those guys should be al you need to get this going !

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
If your going to make a new fuse stretch it out some. A few more inches between the wing and stab will improve things without making it look to non scale
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
We've had mixed results working with the dolly. The wheels can actually put up quite a lot of rolling resistance depending on the grass length. My 100" aerotow glider which weighs 54 oz tows fine on its belly in long grass but slows the tug to a crawl using the dolly in that same grass. Now that its Fall the grass at our field is thinning out some so we'll see how she does tomorrow.

Yeah David, if I do build a new fuselage, I'll likely make quite a few changes. Although I like the comical short-coupled look, there's no doubt a longer tail moment would produce an easier flying bird. But if I wanted that, I could just paint an Easy Glider yellow & call it a Cub *grin*

There's some room for futzing though. If this one works out I could see me maybe building a larger version, stretched out some, possibly with a nice light built-up balsa wing using an appropriate sailplane airfoil. I have several other projects in mind before I go there though.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
fun little project here! I wish I was closer, I have a way overpowered Funcub, we could rip the air with some foam! Those guys at http://www.rcaerotowing.com will get ya up tho! Great group! Good luck!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Yor CubGlider need longer tail arm, to get rid of almost all problems.
But as if you dont want to do that, I am really courious how you will modify model to make it fly well.

Subscribed!
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
Have one of the 100cc tugs pull you up. That should do the trick.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:50 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts

I'll have a flight report & video tomorrow... woohoo she flies!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
100 CC tug????
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR