SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Discussion
T-28 or modify my HZ Super Cub

Should I buy a new Parkzone T-28 or modify my super cub? For the mods i want to do it would be about the same amount of money for each.
PatrickRC is offline Find More Posts by PatrickRC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I'd get the T-28. Then when you get around to fixing that super cub you'll have 2 planes instead of one. Plus the tricycle landing gear on the trojan should be a little easier to land on. If you get the air force paint scheme (silver and blue) it'd be a good idea to put some bright colored paint or trim tape on it as it can sometimes blend into the sky.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,365 Posts
What Rayne said. Also, you can use the stock SC as a "warm-up" plane until you get real comfortable with the T-28.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old May 09, 2012, 10:22 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
446 Posts
Having owned both, I think the decision should really depend on how well you land now.

I moved up to a full-sized PZ T-28 too early, before I was very confident at landing and before I could do so consistently. It resulted in my crashing beyond recovery two T-28s. I'm on my third and can now land on a dime and do all sorts of approaches in all sorts of wind and still land. I wouldn't base the purchase on what you can do in the air: we're all good in the air much faster than how good we are low and on landings.

I recently flew my Super Cub again, and I was surprised at how responsive it was and how fun it still was to fly in the air. Landing it, with the ability I have now, was MUCH easier with the Cub: I could land it at almost any speed and stupid approach I could muster. The aileron training on the more stable Cub will help a lot to your getting used to the T-28.

Even after you get your T-28, I would recommend you warm up with the Cub as your first flights for the day, to calm yourself down and to ingrain the basics of flying and especially landing, before you fly the T-28. Even the stock T-28 has a lot more power and can get away from you in the air much quicker. I have some suggestions for newbie pilots on how to land in my RC Groups blog, but your choice if you wanna read it or not.

I like getting new planes like the next guy, but if I had to do it all over again and was going to get all the planes I was gonna get now anyway with the greedy eagerness that I have for shiny new planes, I would make the aileron mods to the Cub first then get the T-28. I like the Navy T-28 version, as it is much more visible in the sky. It does kinda look like a sissy on the ground though.
demuddy is offline Find More Posts by demuddy
Old May 09, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Get the T-28! I am a newbie and I have both. The Cub is awesome and a real treat to fly but if you want to get your heart pumping and enjoy flying, then T-28 it is.
I can't put that plane down and am buying batteries like crazy so I don't have to wait for them to charge. It IS very fast for a new guy but if you can master the Cub then this plane is for you. Very stable and great stall characteristics.
If you're going to spend the money then why upgrade a plane when you can have another in case something happens. My Cub is decomissioned right now becasue the motor keeps cutting out. HH is sending me a new one but it is out of stock.
I guess I have to fly the T-28 and my goal is to not crash! Whatever you're decision is make it yours!

Good luck!
cincyflier is offline Find More Posts by cincyflier
Old May 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyflier View Post
Get the T-28! I am a newbie and I have both. The Cub is awesome and a real treat to fly but if you want to get your heart pumping and enjoy flying, then T-28 it is.
I can't put that plane down and am buying batteries like crazy so I don't have to wait for them to charge. It IS very fast for a new guy but if you can master the Cub then this plane is for you. Very stable and great stall characteristics.
If you're going to spend the money then why upgrade a plane when you can have another in case something happens. My Cub is decomissioned right now becasue the motor keeps cutting out. HH is sending me a new one but it is out of stock.
I guess I have to fly the T-28 and my goal is to not crash! Whatever you're decision is make it yours!

Good luck!
I think money is an issue for OP and therefore the reason for his question. If money is an issue, I don't think someone with that consideration will wanna buy a plane that one might actually crash and destroy.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demuddy View Post
I think money is an issue for OP and therefore the reason for his question. If money is an issue, I don't think someone with that consideration will wanna buy a plane that one might actually crash and destroy.
All RC planes And the money that buys them should be considered disposable... Do buy the T28, she is a lovely advanced trainer. Landings are simple with this plane as it flies slow and glides in steady as a rock.
I have modded the SC wing twice. Nothing from that plane compares to the handling of the T28. So put the SC on the shelf and advance.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old May 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
No plane is safe around ME!
United States, WA, Fairchild AFB
Joined Apr 2012
124 Posts
+1 to demuddy. It does depend on how well you land. When I got my T-28, I had already had my Super Cub for about a year and could land it perfectly. I haven't crashed my T-28 in the month I have had it (exept that one time it ran out of batteries ). The T-28 is exiting and fun to fly, but it is 5 times harder to land than the cub. Also, (if you still feel you are ready) I believe you should get the T-28 and not mod the cub because then you have two planes, and if something were to happen to one, you could still fly.
sirocelot is offline Find More Posts by sirocelot
Old May 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRC View Post
Should I buy a new Parkzone T-28 or modify my super cub? For the mods i want to do it would be about the same amount of money for each.
Do buy the T-28. Then you will have 2 aircrafts, the super cub for days you want to relax and the T-28 to improve your skills.
Why2Me is offline Find More Posts by Why2Me
Old May 11, 2012, 04:07 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why2Me View Post
Do buy the T-28. Then you will have 2 aircrafts, the super cub for days you want to relax and the T-28 to improve your skills.
Agree!!!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Yeah, I would buy a T-28 and then you'll have two planes.
Ted7rns is offline Find More Posts by Ted7rns
Old May 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
446 Posts
Hey, don't get me wrong, I recommend getting both too, eventually. Especially if money is an issue. If money, however, grows on trees for you, OP, the order in which you do this and lose some money at the front end should not be an issue. After all, I crashed and got a second Cub, and I'm on my third T-28.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
No plane is safe around ME!
United States, WA, Fairchild AFB
Joined Apr 2012
124 Posts
I'm on my first cub and T-28, but I may get a second cub for modifications soon. The trojan is fun and I highly recommend it but it does depend on your skill level. Have fun flying whichever you get (or both)!
sirocelot is offline Find More Posts by sirocelot