HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
My front fuse was glued together tight upon arrival. Yours should be also, if not I would use reg medium ca (works great on all Multiplex elepor foam planes) to glue it up tight or try the kit glue.. I got the kit glue too but not needed any place on this model that I could tell. My motor rubbed just a little bit at bottom of nose and I just took a Xacto and relieved the foam some.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Mine Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Got to fly mine today !!!! What a great flyer!!! Super nice climb out, gobs of power, Just a few clicks of right and a little up trim and she cruises power off just perfect with great penetration in some wind. I am using a 3 cell 1300 all they way up front like Aros said, balanced perfect. Nice power off speed but very flat glide. I have flown a lot of gliders in my 40 years of flying and this one is a sweety. Looks great and flies great. Highly recommended. I did mix in about 65% rudder/aileron mix and worked great in turns. Yea, the eight wing bolts are kinda a pain to put wings together and break down but worth it. Aros was right in all his praise of this one. My slight angled fin did not seem to effect it at all. I do recommend you keep the canopy out of hot full sun or throw a towel over it. . The black painted foam has a tendency to expand some in the heat.
But very pleased with it. A super sailplane for the price.
A pic of it and my smaller sky soar.

Stringfly <>+++++
I received mine today, did you have to reprogram ESC or leave it at factory settings??
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I received mine today, did you have to reprogram ESC or leave it at factory settings??
Tim
Launched 2 times, failed on both, I do not have strong arm and was leary of full throttle launch.

It seems I will need more than 1/2 throttle on this one. Radian will do a loop on launch with full throttle if you do not get on down stick so I am a bit nervous finding sweet spot with this one.

A little epoxy to the nose and all will be good again for another try.

Tim
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Launch it like it does not have a motor - HEAVE THAT SUCKER! - then while it is gliding on its own inertia add power.

Don't count on the motor to haul it away, and you won't have a crash if there is a motor failure in the process.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
I actually launch mine full throttle. No messing around. Give it full throttle, aim that nose about 15 degrees or so and throw her like you mean it.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
I'm really liking this sailplane more and more the more I fly it.

I picked up a DX18 and put a Spectrum AR600 in my ASW-28. This allowed me to put the ailerons on separate channels so I could program aileron differential, which along with the aileron to rudder coupling really gets this thing locked in on thermals quickly. This setup also allowed me to program reflex in the ailerons which is fairly effective for dumping lift and controlling the landing glide-path.

Lastly I added altitude telemetry, which has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's very accurate and gives real-time altitude readout on the DX18, the guys at the field were pretty amazed watching the altitude read-out on my screen as I was climbing in a thermal this afternoon.

This is a really great sailplane!
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
I should add differential to mine. Good idea. Man, that DX18 would be sweet to have!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Before I get serious about this glider I have one question: since this is an FMS product, does any sell replacement parts/wings for it?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Esc

w4yn, On my ESC just set the range with throttle full up the first time you plug up. Then lower throttle all the way and the range is set for your TX. Mine had brake already set so did not have to program it.
I lauch with full power also. Run it up and a nice firm slightly up throw. This guy does not loop on launch. It just climbs out super.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
First and foremost - THIS IS NOT A RADIAN it's much - much better!

My recommendations before the maiden -

* Make sure the glider is balanced properly BOTH by the recommended CG and laterally by holding the prop while balancing the tail on the edge of a table or something. Mine took a quarter sized coin added about 2/3rds of the way out on a wing. What you don't want is unnecessary drag caused by trimming the ailerons just to keep the wings level.

* For the first launch, I recommend getting someone to help you so you can have both hands on the transmitter as some trimming will most likely be necessary. Half to 3/4 throttle is all that is needed with a level throw - DO NOT attempt to throw it nose up as you're just setting yourself up for a wing stall and an uncontrollable steep turn into the ground.

* After you're trimmed out, hand launching is easy with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and a level toss with some forward momentum - into the wind.

* Again, this is NOT a Radian, it isn't going to loop over on you when you launch it, likewise, it should not be flown like a Radian if you want to get the most out of it. It's a faster, flatter gliding sailplane - you don't need to slow down to nearly a stall to get it to climb in a thermal, it will climb in the lightest lift, but if you allow it to stall by getting too slow, you will lose more in the recovery than you gained - keep it flying.

I set mine up running a 2200 3s battery which required adding weight to the tail boom to get it to balance properly on the recommended CG. The added weight actually helps the ASW-28 especially when penetrating into the wind and is NOT a deterrent to it's climbing ability in a thermal as I've had mine so high I nearly lost sight of it.

Lastly, if your radio allows it, I'd recommend setting the ailerons up on separate channels and adding some aileron differential along with some rudder to aileron coupling. That will reduce drag by making the wing more efficient and help lock in co-ordinated thermal turns more quickly. This arrangement will also allow you to program some aileron reflex, to help dump the lift on the wing and better control your glide-path for landing.

The only other recommendation I have is if you have a transmitter with telemetry, like a DX-8 or DX-18 go for the altitude telemetry module. I recently got a DX-18 and installed the altitude telemetry module in my ASW-28 and it is fantastic, having realtime altitude readout on the transmitter to see how much altitude you've gained or lost as you're working thermals.
Last edited by ronht; Jun 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Great post! I've made the mistake of tossing the first one I owned too nose high which caused the dreaded stall and steep turn into the dirt. I thought I had enough power for it to climb but I found out differently. Checking your lateral stability is another great idea for this plane.

With your recommendations, this is a sailplane you can get many years of great thermal-chasing fun with.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Great insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronht View Post
First and foremost - THIS IS NOT A RADIAN it's much - much better!

My recommendations before the maiden -

* Make sure the glider is balanced properly BOTH by the recommended CG and laterally by holding the prop while balancing the tail on the edge of a table or something. Mine took a quarter sized coin added about 2/3rds of the way out on a wing. What you don't want is unnecessary drag caused by trimming the ailerons just to keep the wings level.

* For the first launch, I recommend getting someone to help you so you can have both hands on the transmitter as some trimming will most likely be necessary. Half to 3/4 throttle is all that is needed with a level throw - DO NOT attempt to throw it nose up as you're just setting yourself up for a wing stall and an uncontrollable steep turn into the ground.

* After you're trimmed out, hand launching is easy with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and a level toss with some forward momentum - into the wind.

* Again, this is NOT a Radian, it isn't going to loop over on you when you launch it, likewise, it should not be flown like a Radian if you want to get the most out of it. It's a faster, flatter gliding sailplane - you don't need to slow down to nearly a stall to get it to climb in a thermal, it will climb in the lightest lift, but if you allow it to stall by getting too slow, you will lose more in the recovery than you gained - keep it flying.

I set mine up running a 2200 3s battery which required adding weight to the tail boom to get it to balance properly on the recommended CG. The added weight actually helps the ASW-28 especially when penetrating into the wind and is NOT a deterrent to it's climbing ability in a thermal as I've had mine so high I nearly lost sight of it.

Lastly, if your radio allows it, I'd recommend setting the ailerons up on separate channels and adding some aileron differential along with some rudder to aileron coupling. That will reduce drag by making the wing more efficient and help lock in co-ordinated thermal turns more quickly. This arrangement will also allow you to program some aileron reflex, to help dump the lift on the wing and better control your glide-path for landing.

The only other recommendation I have is if you have a transmitter with telemetry, like a DX-8 or DX-18 go for the altitude telemetry module. I recently got a DX-18 and installed the altitude telemetry module in my ASW-28 and it is fantastic, having realtime altitude readout on the transmitter to see how much altitude you've gained or lost as you're working thermals.
Can the ailerion setup be done with DX7, I just moved up from DX6I and learning how to set it up.
I definitley launched at a steeper than recommended attitude, did exactly as described before I could get hands working (66 oldies).
I believe it will be not too difficult to fix nose crease. Can this type foam be reheated with steam to pull back to proper profile?
I do not want to damage smooth finish. I will be out of town for this weekend so no flying until last weekend of month.

Would like to get your thoughts on Radian, I have done some mods to mine but still squirrly. My direct e-mail is w4yn@earthlink.net. Tim
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Can the ailerion setup be done with DX7, I just moved up from DX6I and learning how to set it up.
I definitley launched at a steeper than recommended attitude, did exactly as described before I could get hands working (66 oldies).
I believe it will be not too difficult to fix nose crease. Can this type foam be reheated with steam to pull back to proper profile?
I do not want to damage smooth finish. I will be out of town for this weekend so no flying until last weekend of month.

Would like to get your thoughts on Radian, I have done some mods to mine but still squirrly. My direct e-mail is w4yn@earthlink.net. Tim
Missed asking om where to find CG, and recommended throws, did not these listed in light weight (this is aviation!) manual!
Tim
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
The recommended CG is 45mm from the leading edge of the wing measured back along side the fuselage.

The separate aileron channels, differential, reflex and rudder to aileron coupling can all be set up on a DX7 with a AR600 or above receiver. (note a AR500 receiver will not work)

There are no recommended control throws. Whatever you get @ 100 on the servos should be fine. Just add a little expo if you think it's needed.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:41 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Here are some pics of the simple mods I've done -

I'm using a 2200 3s battery which required adding weight to the tail boom and I balanced the wings with a quarter sized coin. (a Chinese Yuan I had laying around to be exact although any coin will work)

You can see how well the altitude telemetry module fits in the cockpit with the AR600 receiver.