HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,692 Posts
On another note....after reading about the school shooting, which is thoroughly disgusting, and very sad, I saw the "Honey Boo-Boo" has been voted "The most fascinating, and most Google searched personality of the year" (which is also thoroughly disgusting and very sad)....again... I can't help but wonder what is in some peoples their minds (or in this case, if there actually "is" anything in their minds!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims. Such madness man.

And isn't it ironic that Hobey Boo-Boo is on TLC(The Learning Channel).

What's the world coming to
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims. Such madness man.

And isn't it ironic that Hobey Boo-Boo is on TLC(The Learning Channel).

Sometimes man, sometimes......
I have never actually watched the show, only seen excerpts on various news shows, and can not believe that people think that she and her family are actually entertainment!!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Thanks SteveT that's kind of what I'm doing with my 74 but I just wanted to check and see how you were doing it I made a cg machine for smaller planes with and 2x6 for the base and drilled some holes in it and stuck in some new pencils with the erasers pointed up. It works great but to small for the 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
LOL!!!

Well...for the 30CC, I use some very, very expensive pieces of equipment.... some 3/8" rubber "feet" like are used on the bottom of jewelery boxes etc.. I stick them on at the suggested CG point on the wing, and pick the plane up with my fingers on the feet. The feet just keep my fingers from influencing the balance of the plane by having a smaller area than what it would be if I picked it up with my fingers on the wing. I just get the plane close to the suggested CG and then fly it to trim it, then do the inverted flight test.... for exact precision!!

As to the 50CC....the only one I have is my 89" Slick, and I just hung the plane by a rope from the wing tube as was suggested in the manual.

That said, you can build a pretty decent CG machine, using a bit of plywood for a base, a couple of pieces of 1"X2" pine or poplar about 15" inches long which you screw on to the side of the plywood fro "up-rights", then drill a hole for a piece of doweling the same size as a pencil, into the end of the up-rights and stick a piece of doweling about two inches long into it, then get yourself a couple of the stick-on pencil erasers, and put them on the dowels....easy home made CG machine....

SteveT
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
Thanks SteveT that's kind of what I'm doing with my 74 but I just wanted to check and see how you were doing it I made a cg machine for smaller planes with and 2x6 for the base and drilled some holes in it and stuck in some new pencils with the erasers pointed up. It works great but to small for the 74
Yeah...and the pencil erasures start to get a bit small for the larger planes as they tend to start cracking balsa in the wings.

I would like to have a good larger CG machine, but, I sometimes wonder about those things as to really how effective they are. I have the Carl Goldberg one, but a ten pound plane is really pushing the limit for it...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
As a father of two children that are the same age as those killed today... this news is just physically sickening. I don't have words capable of describing my anger and sadness. Just plain demonic.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
As a father of two children that are the same age as those killed today... this news is just physically sickening. I don't have words capable of describing my anger and sadness. Just plain demonic.
+1 I have a kid in kindergarten and 1st grade as well.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,297 Posts
I can understand the need to hold your children close and feel sad but glad it wasn't your child but you don't need to have little ones at home to feel great sadness over such a tragic event.
It makes me ill to think about it. Now I have to go home and try to be strong for my wife. She is extremely sensitive to these things and I know this will leave a scare on her. My condolences to those parents and all the families so very close to this.

Alan
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
anyone know where crashesalot mike lives? I know CT somewhere but can't remember the town.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
I have a son myself, and I couldn't even begin to digest if this were to happen to us. Even more reason to give thanks during the holiday's
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Anybody looking for Spektrum A5040 servos for their ~60" planes they are in stock! Hurry up and get 'em!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ervo-SPMSA5040
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
I have a son myself, and I couldn't even begin to digest if this were to happen to us. Even more reason to give thanks during the holiday's
+1, Use the opportunity be very appreciative of the things you do have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
anyone know where crashesalot mike lives? I know CT somewhere but can't remember the town.
I'm about 25 minutes from the School (in fact my club flying field is just a few miles away)

I am very, very thankful that my kids were not involved. We have friends/acquaintances whose kids attend that school / teach in that school. We are very thankful that they are all safe tonight.

It was a very, very tense day as our schools were some of those under lockdown. Luckily we knew our schools were "most likely" unaffected, but nothing like getting a phone call and email saying we have an armed police officer at you child's school

I can't tell you how happy that I am finally home and able to hold both of my kids.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:12 PM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Glad everyone is safe Mike - we will be praying for everyone in the area
nov is online now Find More Posts by nov
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Fast & easy CG

A quick way to check CG is to take a hangar straighten it out bend it in half so each side is even. Then bend the two ends so they will fit over the wing tube, slip each end over the wing tube and lift the plane with battery. If it's close go fly the plane and adjust to personal preference by moving the battery.
mzl969 is offline Find More Posts by mzl969
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,479 Posts
Closed
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Last edited by wamsy55; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM.