SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:40 AM
United Kingdom, Edingale
Joined Aug 2005
98 Posts
Discussion
At what price is retractable landing gear worth it?

Interested to know who's using retracts as they appear either very expensive or of poor quality................which appears to have lead a lot of people to make home made solutions it seems.
At what price would you add retracts to your machine assuming good quality and hassle free set up i.e. would you pay 149 UK or $247 for a good quality set of retracts?
Darrens is offline Find More Posts by Darrens
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
retracts

Hi Darren
I like retracts. Aside from getting the landing skid out of the cameras view, they just look cool.
With that in mind, it still would depend on the machine I'm putting them on. Putting $250 retracts on a $500 quad doesn't make any sense.
I have an XCope Pro ($1000 range) and would consider maybe $100- $150.
But that's just me.
Keithh5 is offline Find More Posts by Keithh5
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,723 Posts
IMO it's not cost, but need. I've been looking into retracts for a while, just cause they're damned cool, and I'm so much under the max TOW for my hex that I could easily do it. But without a dual operator setup for a gimbal and camera, it makes little sense.

Some landing gear do get in the way of the camera but you can usually reposition the camera or change the legs for much less time\effort\weight\cost.

In the end I may still get the retracts (I want a 3-leg tripod setup) but I have just held off cause I know I don't need them.
ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing