SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
80 Posts
Discussion
hs85 servo

Trying to replace the gearset on my hs85. I noticed after a hard landing the servo motor was running all the time and the gears stripped...

theoretically if the gears are not installed in the servo and the servo plugged in and powered up should the motor not run until a input from the radio is made?

Thinking the servo is trashed and dont want to ruin a new set of gears... thanks..
xjwrench1969 is offline Find More Posts by xjwrench1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwrench1969 View Post
Trying to replace the gear set on my hs85. I noticed after a hard landing the servo motor was running all the time and the gears stripped...
theoretically if the gears are not installed in the servo and the servo plugged in and powered up should the motor not run until a input from the radio is made?
Thinking the servo is trashed and dont want to ruin a new set of gears... thanks..
HS-85 and most other mini servo have a direct drive servo pot, so in event of a broken gear the
pot attached to bottom of output shaft is not driven to the "stop" position and motor runs unchecked.
Disconnect servo from power and after checking servo case to ensure the rod sockets are not damaged.
(if elongated will permit rods to slip sideways and jam gears)
Replace servo gears as outlined in the Hitec instructions attached.
see also:
. Servo - Installation - Correct Mounting for longer life

. Servo - DIY Repair - Lubrication / Servo Grease

{Direct Drive is when the potentiometer plays a supporting role in holding the output shaft in place.
Most sub-micro servos are direct drive since they are tight on space and do not have the room for an extra bushing or bearing.
Indirect drive is when the final output shaft is not dependent on the potentiometer for support inside the gear case.
Normally a bushing or bearing supports the load. }

Much more under sub section
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2006
80 Posts
Ahh ok.. got it figured out, centered the pot and she stopped.. put the gears in and its good to go!.. thanks....
xjwrench1969 is offline Find More Posts by xjwrench1969