SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Can you recommend books/guides?

I will demonstrate my lack of knowledge of the mechanics of how a plane flies. I read this statement in another thread:

"...But in your case, the wind varied from 20 to over 30 mph. What's your stall speed? Heck, let's say 20 mph, since you were about hovering on approach.
So you're on approach at 25 mph thinking you've got a good cushion, but you're in one of those 30 mph gusts.

What happens when the wind slacks off suddenly to 20? Why your airspeed just fell 10 mph, from 25 to 15 and you are now a rock with the glide angle of a buffalo turd."

Here is the thread it came from: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=5

When I read that I thought -- if the wind blowing against the plane became less, the throttle remained the same, wouldn't the plane's speed increase because it was no longer pushing against the force of the wind? I'm not asking anyone to explain the answer to me, I'm using it to show how little I know/understand of what makes planes fly.

So after that round-about approach, my real question is:

Can any of you give recommendations pro/con for books or how-to-guides I might look for at my local library, as after I came to the realization that I know squat about flying I've decided to go to the library tomorrow and look for books on the subject, before I try to fly my first plane.

Thank you.
Golddrakken is offline Find More Posts by Golddrakken
Last edited by Golddrakken; Mar 05, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:14 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,075 Posts
"Stick and Rudder" is often recommended:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_and_Rudder
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,167 Posts
I think the comment above about wind speed refers more to gusty conditions. It's very rare to fly in constant winds, especially near the ground. You can be flying at near stall speed in a wind that can suddenly drop, ( a gust), and the plane cannot instantly increase speed, so the model has a habbit of falling out of the sky.
I have had it happen a few times, so I just prefer not to fly in very gusty conditions.

As for books/guides, you're already reading in the best one for useful information, RCGroups. The - Modeling Science forum - is a good place for the 'technical side' of model flying, (also a good place to see people still disagreeing on 'how planes fly' ).

There are those that build, fly, and enjoy the hobby with little knowledge, there are some who prefer to argue the finer points of their concept of aerodynamics.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
This.

And since it was first published in the 40's, you'll find it easily in most libraries.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,552 Posts
http://www.freetechebooks.com/doc-20...udder-pdf.html

Haven't downloaded it myself to check it.

It is relatively likely that it has entered the public domain but I don't know.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
38 Posts
Thank you for the responses and advice.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
David Scott's books are amazing.

http://www.rcflightschool.com/Manuals_Page.asp
ram008 is offline Find More Posts by ram008
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
#1! Although the text is a bit "conversational", this book really makes you understand flight (I mean flight, not flying model planes...).

Got mine from Amazon.

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,910 Posts
'Stick & Rudder' should be great, but I'd also like to recommend even out of date private pilot training books. They will also teach the hows and whys of flight, which apply just as much to our little planes as their full scale counterparts. I believe all beginner rc pilots would benefit greatly from that knowledge. I'm going to look into that Stick &Rudder book myself. Might learn something.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
976 Posts
RCadvisor's Model Airplane Design Made Easy, by Carlos Reyes
About $18.00 at amazon.com

Great information and easy to read. Take notes.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
38 Posts
Thank you for all the responses and advice.