HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:08 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
advice on a seaplane

Hi guys,

First thanks to all of you who helped me out
with the Sopwith Pup mess and my first electric plane.

Currently I am looking for a good looking easy to fly
seaplane, does anybody have any opinons on what
to get?

Dave
davidbogart is offline Find More Posts by davidbogart
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:20 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Being this is the foamy forum, I can recomend the Float Wingo.
Add a gear box to the stock motor.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 30, 2001, 07:10 AM
St. Paul, MN
Joined Feb 2001
337 Posts
Or the Soarstar (comes with gearbox) with Wingo floats.

Chad
towlebooth is offline Find More Posts by towlebooth
Old Oct 30, 2001, 08:10 AM
Orange Park, FL
Joined Dec 2000
443 Posts
Try Hobby Lobbys Website. They have some new ones with some videos to one of them .It looks pretty cool. Good Luck
deeejay is offline Find More Posts by deeejay
Old Oct 30, 2001, 07:47 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
thanks guys, i will check out all of these planes.

dave
Old Nov 02, 2001, 09:30 AM
Hebron, KY
Joined Oct 2001
357 Posts
I have been flying Hobby Lobby's Wingo on floats for six months. The performance was fair with the stock motor. I changed to the geared motor and larger prop WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE, Wingo has no problem breaking the surface.

Hope this helps.
nrthwing is offline Find More Posts by nrthwing
Old Nov 06, 2001, 03:50 PM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Aventura

I have flown a Poppy(Soarstar, Wingo) on floats after having a Sunny Boy on floats. Sunny Boy can break water on a good day with Nicds. Marginal on Nimh's, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Frustrating. Poppy with the gear drive is off in 10 feet with Nicds. My next plane will be the Aventura from Hobby-Lobby.com.
I have already asked about it vs. the Douglas 4. The guys there who have flown both like the Aventura. There are several videos of it flying. Even does a loop. Haven't tried a loop with Poppy on floats, but it is takes a pretty good dive even to do it with just wheels. Not sure it would make it over the top. Any kind of side wind on the Poppy will tip a wing into the water, because it is so light. Sure gets off the water in a hurry though. After the Sunny Boy, that is a treat. If you go a Wingo, Poppy, Soarstar route, make sure you lube the gearbox. Mine came with no lube and wore out in about 20 flights. You can fly a Wingo off land or water, the Aventura is dedicated to water. Hope all this helps.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Nov 06, 2001, 04:30 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
funny you should say that because i was trying to decide
between the donald 4 and aventura myself. let me know
how you like the aventura and how it performs. thanks
to all of you for all your help!

dave
Old Nov 06, 2001, 06:05 PM
Fur E Member
Ferndale, MI
Joined Feb 2000
136 Posts
The full-scale Aventura series of Ultralight and Experimental aircraft are available as kits.
http://www.sea-plane.com/
Wile E is offline Find More Posts by Wile E
Old Nov 06, 2001, 06:44 PM
CAS
Stockton, California
Joined Aug 2001
23 Posts
Dave, just built the SeaWInd. It is in the S&E modeler April 2001. This was a fun plane to build and looks great. I have one flight on her using an Aveox 1015/3y direct drive 9X6 APC prop 10 cell. The one flight was a sucesss apart from bending the front landing gear on landing.
I am now installing a different front landing gear. As soon as I am sure the bugs are out I wll try her on water.
Cas cas12744@aol.com
CAS is offline Find More Posts by CAS
Old Nov 06, 2001, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2001
12 Posts
Quote:
make sure you lube the gearbox
I have also recently purchased a gearbox. Ditto on the no lube included, didn't really expect it to come with any. Does anyone have a recomendation? I was going to give it a shot of WD-40 before trying it out...
OkieDude is offline Find More Posts by OkieDude
Old Nov 06, 2001, 09:06 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
The gearbox that I use on my Wingo float plane is the Graupner 2.33:1 , it is a closed unit, this helps keep the lube in and the wet out.

As for lube. I like the Super Lube. It is a synthetic, thick, semi-clear grease made by the Permatex company. It comes in a silver tube.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Nov 07, 2001, 07:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
12 Posts
Hmm.... Sounds exotic. Can it be obtained at the local Wally world, home improvement shops, hardware store, etc...? I'm leaning now more towards REM oil (gun oil) rather than good ole WD-40.

The gearbox I obtained is definately one of the open kind. One thing I like about it is the utter ease of inspection. I will be worried about gear mesh or grinding for a while and inspecting the teeth/gears will be quite easy and quick I think.

Your input is appreciated...

Okie
OkieDude is offline Find More Posts by OkieDude
Old Nov 07, 2001, 07:12 AM
St. Paul, MN
Joined Feb 2001
337 Posts
I've recently purchased the ARC Hacker Osprey. Nice looking kit. Found it at Dymond

I'll be using a max 48 (slightly smaller than a standard 480). The interesting part is that it has a raised pod for the motor like the Donald, but is a pusher. Smaller and sleeker than the Donald, but much the same - glass fuse.

There is a review of it here on Ezone.

I want to get her together before the water gets hard, but I also want to get my foamie contest entry done. And my slope soarer. And my Viper p51. And on and on and on. . .

Chad
towlebooth is offline Find More Posts by towlebooth
Old Nov 07, 2001, 08:07 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,894 Posts
Dave,

After seeing the new Aventura II Flying Boat at Hobby Lobby, I thought it looked pretty good.

Than after watching the videos of it taking off from water, I decided that I had to have one! So I bought one.

I'll likely use a P450T or MPI Cobalt 4014 instead of a Speed 480 in mine. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Greg Covey; Nov 07, 2001 at 08:09 AM.