HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,421 Posts
Me too Ordered 4
Sounds like they will be great for ele, rud. with pull/spring but ailerons I don't know. We need 0 slop there.

Matt
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Check 'em out and see what you think. If you don't like them, send them back. We are pretty easy going around here..

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
I have the TS1 wing with C/F bolt tubes, should I be doing these hard points or is it unnecessary with the tubes in place?

Thanks
Kerry

Sorry, I can't get the pic I wanted in the post. (page 163 post 2439) It shows the foam dug out around the bolt holes through the wing for epoxy filling. Is this necessary when installing the C/F bolt tubes?

I have been messing/testing with the F/G stuck to plastic/wax paper method before I start the build. SWEET, sooooo much neater and lighter.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
can you describe or link me to the wax paper method.

Thanks,

Ed
SteadyEddy is offline Find More Posts by SteadyEddy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:17 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
can you describe or link me to the wax paper method.

Thanks,

Ed

One description is on Page 148 Post 2209
I have just started and have substituted plastic for wax paper. After clamping and curing the plastic peels off leaving a smooth shiny surface.
Near the top of the page, right under the page numbers you will find "search this thread" enter "wax paper" and read lots of stuff.

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:55 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Regarding the Power HD DSM44 servos, they look like they would be up the task on the TS1. I ordered some to try on my Alula EVO first and they look pretty amazing (on the bench at least). I made this video to show how fast and accurate they seem to be:

Power HD DSM44 digital MG servo test (2 min 45 sec)

Sorry if it's a bit long, but wanted to make sure I showed consistent return to center and trim changes. I'm going to remove the Blue Arrow D05010MG servos I currently have installed on my Alula EVO and try these. Will report once I do.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Regarding the Power HD DSM44 servos, they look like they would be up the task on the TS1. I ordered some to try on my Alula EVO first and they look pretty amazing (on the bench at least). I made this video to show how fast and accurate they seem to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZRfyiiN-b8

Sorry if it's a bit long, but wanted to make sure I showed consistent return to center and trim changes. I'm going to remove the Blue Arrow D05010MG servos I currently have installed on my Alula EVO and try these. Will report once I do.
Nifty little test, I'll try to lock that one in my brain for future use.
The result does look impressive.
Kerry
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,421 Posts
Great test! Nice and simple and to the point.

I received mine last night. Although I didn't have a chance to test them I did throw a horn on just to check the gear mesh. There is just a little bit of movement, not any worse than any other metal gear servo. Probably less then the last batch of D47's I tried. So far they look like some nicely built servos. Time will tell
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZRfyiiN-b8

Nice test. I think you all will be very happy with these servos. We have been very pleased with all of the servos from Power HD.

p.s. Couldn't help but notice you are flying with FrSky Telemetry also. You get extra points in my book for good choices in your gear.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
born again slope junkie
warrnambool vic australia
Joined Sep 2009
755 Posts
also like the test (note remember this one ) also ordered 4 off ,
dave
dingb is online now Find More Posts by dingb
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Received my servo's and carbon tow
Any tips or tricks for the carbon tow, I have never worked with it. I am guessing wet it out with epoxy and apply.

Yea servo's now I can get started building.
Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobby.

Kerry
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
I am guessing wet it out with epoxy and apply.
Yep, pretty much. If you want the tow flat, I wrap it in a folded over piece of paper and pull it across a sharp corner several times. This flattens out the fibers so they will look more like the spars on the Topsky. If you have some 3M Super 77 spray, you can put a very LIGHT mist on the carbon tow to help hold strands together, this also allows you to stick the fibers to where you want to glue them in. Then you can use your favorite glue to wet out the fibers. I usually use an epoxy for this, just depends on the task at hand. Remember if you are putting it inside a fiberglass fuse that you will need to lightly sand the fuse first. This gives the glue something to hold onto.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,177 Posts
1) Wet the cloth with epoxy - both sides. I usually mix a small puddle and lay the cloth in it. Wet it out by wiping over it with a tooth pick (layed sideways), flip it over and repeate. Keep wiping it until all the excess epoxy is removed and all the weave is filled wit epoxy

2) Lay down thin layer on the surface of the wing

3) Place the cloth on the surface and re-wipe all the excess epxoy out from underneath - make sure the sides of the cloth are all sealed

4) Cover with vinyl tape stretched tight. The expoy will not stick to the tape and it will leave a shiny-smooth surface. I use 2" wide natural gas line insulation tape.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Rotozuk and JimNM
Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

Kerry
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,681 Posts
Quote:
I own an OpenAltimeter and I love it with it's instant feedback on launch height and max height plus all the graphs and post-flight data collection; but they're not in production currently. Someone in the states is working on getting the production ramped back up, but who knows when that will be. Take a look: http://openaltimeter.org
And the RCG thread on the OA: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342829
I have two OpenAltimeter units. One is in a TS2 and has the UBEC option. The onboard audio 'readout' after each throw is valuable feedback at the field. Graphing flights at home and the statistical analysis is very slick.
The only issue is getting one. I made both of mine from bare boards and parts.
I think HobbyKing needs to get the rights to build some, and make a thousand units
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS