SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2007, 02:08 PM
Registered User
God's country if you don't mind bone chilling cold and misquetos
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
Cool
Free power supply?

My brother just sent me a link for this PC Coolmax V-500 power supply.

Power supply

I thought I'd swing this by those of you who have been converting PC power supplies for their charging needs. I, as luck would have it, just purchased a power supply this week but I am going to pick one of these up to have a nother one for the garage.

As far as I know buy.com is a reputable web retailer and as long as you jump through all the hoops of the rebate you should have yourself a free power supply. Deal ends 2-9-07 so don't delay. I should add I do not have any affiliation to any of the above companies.

I don't know a lot about these units. If anyone sees any reason why this won't work as a PS please post.

Boeingdvr
Boeingdvr is offline Find More Posts by Boeingdvr
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2007, 02:40 PM
just look at it smokin'
z-matrix's Avatar
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
oh cool,
i think i have to be fast now, because for $0 i will buy 100000 of these power supplies for a total of $0 with free shipping
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 02:43 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
more easier and compact using adjustable switchers
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 03:29 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
more easier and compact using adjustable switchers
LOL - come on, arent you going to throw in the VCLAMP stuff too?
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 03:45 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
LOL - come on, arent you going to throw in the VCLAMP stuff too?
Well I dont know about you guys but im going to use my CLAMP and my other CLAMP to hold my VCLAMP to the workbench!
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 05:52 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
I have no idea about Buy.com but I have received free computer related items in this manner. You have to make sure you follow the rebate exactly and do what is needed. I'm sure it's a way of buy.com getting your info and possibly even selling it. I have received a PC Tool kit with wrenches screwdrivers pullers screws and other spare parts and tools in a vinyl case that has enabled me to work on my PCs for at least 8 years now. Cost was free after rebate. I have also received a 256 MB SD card in similar fashion when 256MB was LARGE. I am not saying go for it but but don't be quick to knock every deal. I believe these power supplies didn't get very good ratings so what do you do when you are stuck with a large inventory. Give them away with the hopes of additional stuff ordered simultaneously and/or a new customer added to your customer list.
Boeingdvr I appreciate the heads up. Being a CDN resident I don't think I can take advantage but I would if I could.
Just a thought!
Also. Did you know that over 80% of rebates do not get used, so that's a good reason they are a marketing tool. They will get the $28 from 80% of the customers free and clear!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Feb 06, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 09:37 PM
Registered User
God's country if you don't mind bone chilling cold and misquetos
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
4*60,

I did check, the rebate is only for US end users and YES there is a bunch of stupid rebate requirements. Nothing is truely for free but with a little time and energy you should be able to modify this thing and have a half decent PS.

You won't have to worry about having 10000 z-matrix - limit one rebate per household.

I hate rebate programs. I'm still waiting to get my Menards smoke detector rebate. But with all this cold/windy weather I don't have much else to do, sodering up a PS might be a fun project.

Boeingdvr
Boeingdvr is offline Find More Posts by Boeingdvr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2007, 10:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingdvr
4*60,

I did check, the rebate is only for US end users and YES there is a bunch of stupid rebate requirements. Nothing is truely for free but with a little time and energy you should be able to modify this thing and have a half decent PS.

You won't have to worry about having 10000 z-matrix - limit one rebate per household.

I hate rebate programs. I'm still waiting to get my Menards smoke detector rebate. But with all this cold/windy weather I don't have much else to do, sodering up a PS might be a fun project.

Boeingdvr
I say go for it. I had a similar deal with a 500W power supply from Frys.com a few months ago. The mail in rebate was a trivial exercise, and I got the rebate check. I now have a very nice 500W PS that cost me nothing other than the time to fill out and mail the rebate slip!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2007, 12:50 PM
Registered User
God's country if you don't mind bone chilling cold and misquetos
Joined Apr 2006
101 Posts
Got it already!

The FedEx truck pulled up this AM.

Rebate forms in the mail. Looks like with a little (probably difficult for an electronics dummy like me ) work, a free power supply!

With the help of my wise brother and the expertise of several of these threads I should have this converted in no time.

Boeingdvr
Boeingdvr is offline Find More Posts by Boeingdvr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2007, 01:02 PM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
treehog's Avatar
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,801 Posts
neat keep up the good work

can you also do a how to modify build thread on this

in case I get hold of one or similar
being EU and non USA probably difficult to get free

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2007, 03:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingdvr
The FedEx truck pulled up this AM.

Rebate forms in the mail. Looks like with a little (probably difficult for an electronics dummy like me ) work, a free power supply!

With the help of my wise brother and the expertise of several of these threads I should have this converted in no time.

Boeingdvr
Looks nice. The conversion is very easy, and you may not even need to add a load resistor to the 5V supply side as you've probably read about in the various conversion info posted around. I'm running the (free) 500W PS I converted without a pull-up load resistor, and the 12V supply only drops to about 11.5V when charging at 4.4A... more than adequate to keep my charger happy with an 11V minimum input voltage requirement. It will depend on your charge amp draw and the design of your PS.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2007, 05:23 PM
Registered User
ChrisAttebery's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Oct 2004
527 Posts
Is there a coupon code or something? I looked at it and didn't see any mention of a rebate.


Chris






Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingdvr
My brother just sent me a link for this PC Coolmax V-500 power supply.

Power supply

I thought I'd swing this by those of you who have been converting PC power supplies for their charging needs. I, as luck would have it, just purchased a power supply this week but I am going to pick one of these up to have a nother one for the garage.

As far as I know buy.com is a reputable web retailer and as long as you jump through all the hoops of the rebate you should have yourself a free power supply. Deal ends 2-9-07 so don't delay. I should add I do not have any affiliation to any of the above companies.

I don't know a lot about these units. If anyone sees any reason why this won't work as a PS please post.

Boeingdvr
ChrisAttebery is offline Find More Posts by ChrisAttebery
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2007, 06:50 PM
Registered User
skylinux's Avatar
South West Florida
Joined Mar 2005
311 Posts
Another way to get free power supplies is to go to computer shops and ask if they have any old AT power supplies they want to get rid off. We just threw out three AT computers today and I grabbed another 204W supply with ~8A on 12V.
skylinux is offline Find More Posts by skylinux
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:25 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingdvr
The FedEx truck pulled up this AM.

Rebate forms in the mail. Looks like with a little (probably difficult for an electronics dummy like me ) work, a free power supply!
If is not difficult at all.. In fact, if you act now, and right now, you can have all of this in 5 simple, painless (for most) steps..

All you need to do now, is:

1.) Get your hands on a free hard drive..

2.) Plug said hard drive into the PSU..

3.) Find suitable wires for + and - for charging..

4.) Plug new contraption into the wall..

5.) Charge until your heart is content..


Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
If is not difficult at all.. In fact, if you act now, and right now, you can have all of this in 5 simple, painless (for most) steps..

All you need to do now, is:

1.) Get your hands on a free hard drive..

2.) Plug said hard drive into the PSU..

3.) Find suitable wires for + and - for charging..

4.) Plug new contraption into the wall..

5.) Charge until your heart is content..


Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com

Actually, if you know what you're doing and do it right it's a lot easier than that and can be completed in one easy step that will yield superior results.

1) Acquire a purpose built 12V DC power supply used to power amateur radio/commercial radio/CB radio equipment. No wires or connectors to add, no worries about whether or not you hooked up correctly and no hassles with portability.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link 500 Watt Power Supply Free After Rebate Hakkamike Hot Online Deals 13 Dec 06, 2006 10:32 PM
Discussion Free Power Supply WJ Birmingham Batteries and Chargers 0 Nov 24, 2006 12:23 PM
12V power supply source...FREE? Bret Batteries and Chargers 2 Sep 09, 2004 09:44 PM
30 amp power supply James H Electric Plane Talk 0 May 20, 2001 07:42 PM
Power Supply on sale @ RS Andy W Electric Plane Talk 10 May 09, 2001 01:57 AM