HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Discussion
Jeff Pfeifer Animal/AXI EVP Pro VPP Set-Up

Hello everyone,
Well I have started on my next project which is the Nikitis Animal and the AXI EVP PRO VPP System, using the AXI 2208/34 hollow shaft motor. As the plane is completed and test flown I will be posting my set-up, and findings. So far, all I have is a projected all up weight of 7.5oz which is not bad for a VPP plane!
I am using the Animal as a test bed for this VPP stuff, to work out the power system. Once I work out everything on the power system I will then be transfering the VPP system over to a new design of my own that I have designed to be a VPP specific plane.

Jeff Pfeifer
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:38 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Looks cool Jeff looking forward to your report on it. Where did you get the carbon blades from? BTW you will like my new F3A
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:49 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Those are actually 95mm Carbon Tail Blades from V-Blades www.vblades.com . Their company is based out of Sparta, Mo just right in my backyard in the Springfield, Mo area.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Cool I can't decide if I should make my new Animal vpp or not. My first one has taken a beating so I have a new one. I also have the Ikarus VPP set up to use on it. the only thing is I have only flown vpp a few times not much practice on it never got it working right I always had some vibration issues I have to balance the blades.

Devin McGrath
Last edited by Devin McGRath; Jan 21, 2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:03 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
What do those blades weigh?
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:30 AM
My other car...
Joined Oct 2004
727 Posts
Are the CF blades much stronger than the stock blades? I also notice that they appear to be larger than stock. Are you just planning to run less pitch?
noodle is offline Find More Posts by noodle
Old Jan 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Each blade weighs 4 grams ea which is the same as the stock blades, as for the size of the blades, the ones I am running are 95mm from the bolt hole to the tip vs 100mm of the stock blades, but do have a wider more constant chord, and an actual real airfoil. Vblades also offers these heli tail blades in 95mm, 105mm, and 110mm. I just did some testing of the Vblades vs the stock AXI blades, and the 95mm VBlades put out more thrust and load the VPP system less than the stock blades given the same amount of pitch, battery, and % of throttle. So I would assume less amp draw as well. Even though there is more blade area with the VBlades there is less power consumption due to a thicker "real" airfoil so the blades don't stall out as easy at the higher angle of attack so the drag is less and so is your amp draw, and providing more lift at the same time. Also these blades are the same tail blades used by the likes of pro heli pilots such as Alan Szabo Jr., Markus Kim, and Henry Caldwell. Also as a note, the only VPP System that I have found that will accept these blades is the AXI EVP Pro Vpp System, due to the size of the grips.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:02 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Have you tried the Ikarus system ? just wondering if the blades would fit on it. I have a 2208/34 hollow shaft motor and the S2 hallow shaft from Ikarus and I could use either motor but would only use the bigger 2208 if I was useing blades that size.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:08 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Oh Also the plane is done and my all up weight came out as planned 7.5 oz. On this model I didn't modify or re-wire the servos as I normally do, because the VPP planes do get abused a little more than a normal foamy would so I wanted to be able to replace servos and componets more easily than having to un solder servos from the RX and re-solder. Here are some more pics.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:12 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Devin,
I have not used the Ikarus system yet, but I have seen it, and I don't think these blades will fit, but the root grip size is 5mm for the AXI EVP Pro.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:14 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Lookin good, hope to see you fly it in KC.
AirNerd is offline Find More Posts by AirNerd
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
967 Posts
That is light for a VPP plane. What battery are you using? A smaller 3s I assume.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:10 PM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
what is your setup?
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Jan 29, 2006, 01:44 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
My set up is as follows:

Nikitis Animal
AXI 2208/34 Hollow shaft
AXI EVP Pro VPP unit
V-Blades 95mm Carbon Tail Rotor Blades
CC PHX 10 Speed Control
Kokam 3s 340mah or 640mah LiPo
Airtronics 94091 Servos x 4
FMA Direct Encore Rx
Azarr E-Cubed rc Antenna

With this setup it by far has more power than any other VPP system I have used. With these blades I almost have the power of a normal 2208/34 on 3s! I was shocked how well it worked.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:05 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Thats good to hear!

Devin McGrath