HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,109 Posts
Discussion
White paint

I have never been able to find the color white, that beautiful, bright, true white that is on the skins of molded planes. Always something close but usually a little bit grey. I do the repair finish with spray cans, if anyone can tell me a maker and color that will match I'd be very happy. I love the Dupli-Color paints found in the automotive stores as it lays down in thin coats, I just can't find the right car/color. Brand, product code of anything that is really white would help.

I have gone to automotive paint store for "colors" and they make good matches but I don't see a need for "white" to cost $20 a can.

Thanks, Dennis
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
720 Posts
Look in a hardware store for "Appliance White". It just might be the color you are looking for.

As for the cost, the pigments used to make paint colors vary in price. The pigments used to make white paint are on the upper end of the cost scale.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined Jan 2006
199 Posts
Hi Dennis,
I have the Dupont white paint codes for Xplorer and red for Aspire if you need them.
As you stated a pint of white is about $30 and don't ask what the red costs.

Appliance white may work but some are still off true white.

Phil Rieger
Sarasota, Fl
podrieger is offline Find More Posts by podrieger
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, IA, Urbandale
Joined Oct 2002
104 Posts
Spray cans of appliance white epoxy from True Value Hardware is a very good match to the white used in the molded planes from Europe.
airporter is offline Find More Posts by airporter
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:13 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,109 Posts
Appliance white, that rings a bell! I've had truer whites than I'm using now, that could be it.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
on my Xplorers and my Shadows I use Testors spray enamel. the reds, blues and whites are a perfect match.
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:00 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,542 Posts
on an older J ship I used once Kilz spray paint , perfect pigments and the surface possibly increased the aerodynamic performance?

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:37 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Well for one, white doesn't cover whatever color is under it very well, so start with a white primer to mask these out (Kilz, as mentioned above is excellent for this), or even the brightest white will not come out the way you want..
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
I'm wondering how well they stick. I have always been disappointed when painting a fuselage, and then taping the wing/fuse joint when the white paint comes off with the tape... Wrong primer, maybe?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:40 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,109 Posts
The paint sticks to the fuselage for the most part, especially if its been sanded. Not rough underneath and the paint comes right off during the fine sanding, finish work. When the tape is on, you can't see it.

I couldn't find any paint in a spray can that was the white of a plane. A friend does have some white that he airbrushes and it is as white as a plane.

Thanks for all the input! Good thing I'm not picky about finishing I guess.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Jun 2006
75 Posts
Most Euro planes use RAL 9010 Pure White. Readily available there as gelcoat and paint. You may be able to obtain an "equivalent" where you are.
CoolCanuck is offline Find More Posts by CoolCanuck
Old Nov 17, 2013, 07:23 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,109 Posts
Thanks CoolCanuck that's good information!

I did end up using Krylon Appliance white. Up close it looks like all the other whites[not] but from 10 feet away, there's no difference at all.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,109 Posts
Today I picked up some Testors Gloss White enamel and sprayed a test spot on a "parts" part.

Looks the same as what came on the plane to me! It's going over the earlier paints.