SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Discussion
Checking with the Pro's

Hey guys and gals. I wanted to reach out to you guys for some advice and guidance. The largest plane in my hangar at the moment is a Ultra Stick 1.20 size with a Super Tigre Italian 3250 Nitro engine. Fun to fly!!

For my next project I have a Lanier Cap 232 ARF with a 80 inch wing that calls for up to a 3.2 gas engine. This is the one with the red, white and blue scheme.

For power I have a D&B 3.7 Twin gas engine.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the D&B 3.7 Twin a good engine?

2. If some of you have experience with this plane and engine can you offer any advice?

Thanks!!

Built plenty from kits and ARF's but this one is a little larger and my first GAS.
Rusty0125 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty0125
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Picture Of D&B 3.7

Here is a picture and specs of the engine.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Picture of the plane

Picture of the plane

IMAA & IMAC LEGAL
Overall Fuse 79 1/8
Actual Fuse 59 3/8
Wing 80 Area 1265
Weight 12 to 17 pounds
Engine 2 stroke 1.5 to 3.2 or 1.6 to 3.0 4 stroke I am using the 3.7 D&B Pictured.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 01:55 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,546 Posts
that engine seems a bit large, but hey I put a 55cc RCG in a H9 EXTRA 260, that has a 78" ws.

would be a screamer!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
I prefer extra power, I am not capable of the cool 3D flying at the moment but hope to progress to it eventually. At the moment I am happy doing the full throttle fly byes down the runway then going vertical with some loops, rolls, knife edges and maneuvers like that. Like it when other people comment Holy Frack that was fast...lol Of course I find at times I forget to breath when they get realy fast...lol Will have to find someone to teach me and my son (15) and Daughter (13) 3D flying and make it a family thing.
Last edited by Rusty0125; Oct 16, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
I think you'd be fine for where you're at. Just keep some power when landing.. let it settle... and you're good to go. These planes will fly with many different engines. You always have the option of switching engines... there's cowls available I would bet if you wanted a swap.. My Edge flew just fine with the 3W48 twin.. and taught me alot. It did run smooth.. a single cyl. engine does throw some vibes... all over 'da place/plane!.

Memory tells me a buddy had one of these about 5 or so years ago too.. now that I'm thinkin.. he's no longer with us, and missed for sure.. but he had something like a DA50 in his Lanier Cap... It is a nice flying plane. Good luck with it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Cowling

Speaking of the cowling it is tight. I am thinking of splitting the cowling so I can make small cut outs for the plugs and plug wire to come through along with the very top of each head. Then there will be 2 cutouts in the front for air intake and I will open the bottom and craft a reverse scoop to cover that hole but allow for the air to pass through. I know most recommend two times the area for air exhaust than you have for air intake.

I have seen that there needs to be a kill switch for the engine that is new to me coming from nitro, is there any other things I need to be careful of moving to gas that I didn't deal with nitro? The Lanier kit came with a fuel tank setup for gas so I think I am good there but I have noticed some gas setups have a lot of extra fuel line coiled on top the tank (Well maybe a extra 8 inches or so).

Regarding the engine I finally found some older threads discussing the D&B 3.7 and I was real happy with what I read. Apparently the engine is a high quality engine and it is extremely smooth.