HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2014, 06:21 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,439 Posts
Shasta.. Mixes are good.. Back off on it a little.. Like education.. Just the power of knowledge..
And .. Love the dog..!! ..And.. Great wet ground, no obtrusive background photo.. !!
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Shasta.. Mixes are good.. Back off on it a little.. Like education.. Just the power of knowledge..
And .. Love the dog..!! ..And.. Great wet ground, no obtrusive background photo.. !!
Ya...I reset for today and hope to fly between rain showers. I measured the flap to elev. movement but on the TX it was a pretty big number in the mix.
I like your appreciation of un-obtrusive backgrounds. Backgrounds are a big part of composition for me. Usually for background we have a 14,000ft. volcano. What I want to learn is how to take RC plane photos that make the model look real, but I"m too busy flying!
The pilot and co are cartoon characters, Tintin and Snowy. I build all my pilots myself.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:04 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,439 Posts
"Build" the pilots?
Like carve from balsa or so?
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
"Build" the pilots?
Like carve from balsa or so?
I make them from modeling clay. "Sculpy" to be precise. To save weight and give me a frame as my pilots are cartoon characters with thin necks, I start with aluminum foil. I twist it into the basic shape and then start pinching clay onto it. The clay is actually about 1/4 in. thick. When done the sculpy goes in the oven at 275 degrees for 15 mins. and it's as hard as a rock.
I'm no artist by any means. I print out the charater off the Internet to size and start with that. I'm a ski bum here in N. Cal. and we haven't had any snow. Last year our ski area never even opened. Lots of spare time.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:45 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,439 Posts
Well... Cool..!!!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:46 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,339 Posts
I would consider putting some pilot figures in my plane but unfortunately, the windows are in and the cabin is inaccessible. I could take out the lightly tacked in window but its not worth the effort.

Got a break in the weather and took the Piper out for a few flights yesterday. With calm winds (less than 5 mph) she flew just great. With my power system, she will do rolls and loops if desired. Its just great looking in bright sunlight. The red color really pops.

I programmed in some elevator flap mixing that worked pretty good to minimize ballooning. Although you can slow this pane down to a crawl for landing, that stiff landing gear produces a bounce - nearly impossible to grease a landing..
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:32 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
I would consider putting some pilot figures in my plane but unfortunately, the windows are in and the cabin is inaccessible. I could take out the lightly tacked in window but its not worth the effort.

Got a break in the weather and took the Piper out for a few flights yesterday. With calm winds (less than 5 mph) she flew just great. With my power system, she will do rolls and loops if desired. Its just great looking in bright sunlight. The red color really pops.

I programmed in some elevator flap mixing that worked pretty good to minimize ballooning. Although you can slow this pane down to a crawl for landing, that stiff landing gear produces a bounce - nearly impossible to grease a landing..
I'm big on pilots. Some of my planes with clear bubble canopies look weird to me without a pilot. They do add weight and on this Pacer they are behind the CG which is not good the way this plane balances out IMO.
I got to fly for about 3 minutes when the sun came out, and yes the red really pops. It was like a whole new looking plane. The first few flights have been in such dark, stormy weather. Nice for me as I put a lot of time into the nav. lights on the plane and they really look great on the taxi and landing. Not going to be that great in the bright summer, but I can switch them off.
The plane is really stiff on landing and yes greasing a landing will be challenging, but I'm up to it. A perfect landing is something I try and practice for.
Mike
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:09 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,339 Posts
Great photos Mike! Looks like a full scale. I like to grease my landings as well so I will be doing a lot of practice to get this one right. It is definitely a head turner at the field. Everyone likes it. It is a great looking little plane.

I was a little concerned about the 2200mah battery but I got in nearly 10 minutes with some aerobatics and only used 900mah.
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
Great photos Mike! Looks like a full scale. I like to grease my landings as well so I will be doing a lot of practice to get this one right. It is definitely a head turner at the field. Everyone likes it. It is a great looking little plane.

I was a little concerned about the 2200mah battery but I got in nearly 10 minutes with some aerobatics and only used 900mah.
Ya...I went with an 1800mAH batt as I like to fly slow and the landings seem a little easier for now with less weight. I think my timer is set for about 10 mins. even with the 1800mAH. I haven' t gotten in enough flights to get the time set.
Looking forward to that first "perfect landing". I mostly do "the walk of shame" after the plane ground loops off the tarmac to retrieve the plane. Out of 6 landings I've only had one straight and maybe 3 that looped but stayed on the tarmac. She's a tough one.
Mike