SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Discussion
MJX F45 help needed

I decided to make my own post. I started flying helicopter a few months a go and started with a 4 channel coaxial. I purchased the F45 as recommended on the forums. The helicopter out of the box did not hover like it should and needed adjustments. I've got it hovering pretty well over take off with very little drift. Mostly changes performed in the house so that wind was not a factor.

The helicopter seems to tilt with the left landing gear up and the right lower- if looking from behind. Is this normal? It also drifts to the left upon take off and I compensate by hitting some right aleron.

I've crashed this a few times and need parts. Any recommendations of a reputable place to buy. I need head cover and landing gear but have not found them in stock. I have purchased from thinkRC and they dont' have what I need. I also tried Roanoke but they are out of stock.

One last thing. I've noticed the tail rotor intermittantly burst with speed and sometimes not turn during flight. Is this typical for a single rotor? it's my first one and wanted to know if it's the helicopter or inherent to these single rotor helis

Thanks.
delirious1 is offline Find More Posts by delirious1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:33 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The right lean is quite normal. The intermittent tail motor is not. But, the motors and electronics on this heli are poor quality, so you will be replacing things a lot.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Eventually I'll get around to getting a 6 channel heli. Any recommendations on one?

the intermittant nature of the tail rotor seems to be a problem on windy days. Maybe it's being blown around and the tail overreacts to compensate. In the house, not so much. It was a cheap heli, something for me to learn on
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You have the right attitude. Live with it's shortcomings, learn what you can from it and move on. It's designed to be a cheap and easy beginner heli. Lots of people want to spend lots of time, money and effort on this model and it isn't worth it. Your tail problem could be wiring or the gyro.

As for a CP heli, your location and mindset will help determine the best course. If you live in the USA, many people prefer the Blade line of products because they are carried by most local hobby shops. You pay more, but it's hard to beat the convenience, the support and their products have very long life cycles (about 7 years). It you have to shop online and want something of comparable quality, you may want to look at Walkera. But, keep in mind you won't get much support and product life cycle is short (6 months to 2 years). If you are a bargain hunter, some of the products offered by WL Toys or NIne Eagles may be your choice. But, they are in a very volatile market segment.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
I appreciate the advice. My first heli was a syma s800g. love to fly this in the house and it's so much fun. I mastered using it to make turn, avoid furniture and can land pretty well. Went to the F45 as recommended on these forums. Ill do the same until I can work with what I have and do what I want it to do then onto a pricey 6 channel. Thanks for the advice. This f45 had crappy adjustments on the servos out of the box which was contradictory from what I read. I've got it dialed into a pretty nice hover now and am ready to open it up outside. Just need a good calm day which is hard in Texas in March.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:27 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A Blade or Walkera flybarless micro would be a good entry into CP helis. They are quite durable and handle wind much better than that F45. Many people buy micro-quads to ease the transition into CP. They are excellent learning tools and are extremely durable. They are also a lot of fun and will fly circles around any FP heli.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:06 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,173 Posts
Removed
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
thanks Steve. I did take the heli out yesterday and flew two batteries worth. The wind was calmer but I felt I had to keep fighting it. This time I was in an open field and it could take the crashes. Like you, I'm flying with a broken canopy and landing gear. Waiting for new parts to arrive. I've ordered extras.

If anyone has recomendations for my next bird, please let me know. Once I feel confident with this one, I'll try a 6 channel. Probably limit my initial expenditures to 500 bucks. So any recommendations under that price would be welcome.

I almost did get the double horse 9117. Glad read up first. Yesterday, I put everything at 100% to fight the wind. It flew better but was quirky...just me probably since I'm not used to such rapid change in control.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Question. Is going from an F45 to a Trex 500 pro a reasonable move. Once I feel very comfortable with the F45, can I dial down a trex 500 and put some training gear on it? I go by the philosophy of buy once cry once, so cost isn't really a problem. I buy expensive woodworking equipment and buy the best right off the bat. So going from the f45 to a trex 500, is this a reasonable option. I want to be able to get comfortable with the trex 500 at a slow pace. Is this something that is possible? I've been watching trex 500 videos and I am far far from 3D, but will have that option when the time comes. Just curious on thoughts. I'm pretty mechanically minded a very fast learner. ...and money is really not a problem. I'm 41 and have the income. So thoughts?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
There is a considerable difference between an F45 and a Trex 500. The F45 is the easiest to fly heli made. It won't teach you much, so you are basically jumping in as little more than a rank beginner. A large CP is much more of a challenge. A micro CP or quad would be a much better 'stepping stone", but it's your money. I would definitely look for a good sim to go with that 500. For a 500, a Century Swift is a better choice. It's a step up from the Trex in design and quality. You also want to go flybarless. The new Blade Pro series look real good, too.
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Thanks Balr14....it will be 4-6 months before I attempt a big purchase. I want to learn what I have inside and out first. I will look at those options. thanks again for your reply. BTW, beginners really appreciate your honestly and the fact we are not made to feel stupid. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:11 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,748 Posts
Steve_1: A small correction. You said "Like Balr14 said, the lean is normal, and most toy helicopters have this to some extent."

Actually, ALL helicopters, including full size, have this to some extent. Some lean right (AS-350) and some lean left (Blackhawk, Jet Ranger, etc.) depending on whether the main rotor turns clockwise or counter-clockwise. Read up on "Translating Tendency".

Delirious1: +1 on Balr14's recommendation for a Century Swift. Large, stable heli with extremely reasonable parts prices. If heli ratings were done by blade length, then the 450's would be "325", the Align 500 would be "425" and the Swift would be "550", so the difference in size is actually greater than you might think just based on heli names. It's a good, dependable, stable platform that will be as "mild" or "wild" as you want it to be.

And even us other "Cranky old farts" appreciate Balr14's directness and honesty. If you want someone to tell you only what you want to hear, best to ask somebody else.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Would someone mind recommending a good RC controller. Perhaps a DX7?

Mostly for Helis right now. Want to start reading up on those as well

Eventually I am thinking a trex 500 pro...down the line
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A DX7 is an excellent choice.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Ok I'm pretty new to the r/c helicopters. I just got an mjx f-45 for my birthday. I charged it up, glanced through the directions, and proceeded to try flying in the back yard. It took off right away after I activated the remote by pushing up and down on the throttle stick. It flew a small circle and then I landed it.

Ever since then, I cannot get it back into the air at all. It was fully charged, literally only flew for about 10 seconds, and I double checked to make sure the battery cable was plugged in fully and the red indicator light on the remote was constant. When I press the throttle stick, the percentage on the LCD screen changes, along with the channel. The instructions I also find confusing.

Is my helicopter defective? Or is it just that complicated to where a noobie like me can't figure it out? Help please!
Zfox89 is offline Find More Posts by Zfox89