HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,018 Posts
Dr. Schlot,
In order for the sound to continue on final approach, like yours did, all the way until touchdown, I am assuming you need to have at least some power on?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Stuka vor!
Germany, BY, Ostheim
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Dr. Schlot,
In order for the sound to continue on final approach, like yours did, all the way until touchdown, I am assuming you need to have at least some power on?
Hi,

yes, in my final approach when i established the stuka in direction to runway i only use slow gas near to idle. At calm winds you can land her without any power like a sailplane.
Problem is for scale flying that this isnīt scale....., a real one would fall down like an apple from the tree.

Also the module turns to cuttoff and then you have no sound.
I do the following procedure to keep sound and prop alive for taxi to start and for landing:
I start the motor with throttle stick and than i push my throttle trim a few clicks forward, enough that the module stays in "Sound mode" and the plane doesnīt go forward. You have to play around with trim and stick to get the right setup.

With these little setup you can fly as usual (you wonīt even notice it) but you are able to get a "scale" landing and taxi back.
When back to your shelter trim throttle backwards to get your engine cutoff.
This procedure is most similar to a rc gas-engine.

Try it out and have fun!

Klaus
dr.schlot is offline Find More Posts by dr.schlot
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Well, I got the holes all cut, covered and painted. The cutting went smoothly, exactly the right size. The covering went fairly well, but I did make a couple mistakes I had to patch up. Painting on the other hand, well all in all I guess it did not turn out too bad. I am kind of a perfectionist, I am not too happy with it and may re-do it. You can hardly see it though from about 5ft. away.

Next I will get the sound system installed.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Stuka vor!
Germany, BY, Ostheim
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Nice Job Andrew!

Wish i had so much room in my stuka for a pro module. Canīt wait to see and hear your pitts in the air!
Can you take off the mesh again to use my "slice technique" with the mesh?

Klaus
dr.schlot is offline Find More Posts by dr.schlot
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.schlot View Post
Nice Job Andrew!

Wish i had so much room in my stuka for a pro module. Canīt wait to see and hear your pitts in the air!
Can you take off the mesh again to use my "slice technique" with the mesh?

Klaus
Hi Klaus,
That is the way I did it on the P-38, as it is a perminent install. I am actually leaving this one mobile, so I am using the velcro method. That way I can move it from this plane to another in the future.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,991 Posts
I just hit the button on the Ultra A for this guy.

The basic model is beautiful and I have never seen a more scale flyer made out of any material. A shame that its QC was not up to par. Hopefully this will be addressed in a series 2.

I'd really love a very scale P-39 Airacobra to partner with it.

J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I just hit the button on the Ultra A for this guy.

The basic model is beautiful and I have never seen a more scale flyer made out of any material. A shame that its QC was not up to par. Hopefully this will be addressed in a series 2.

I'd really love a very scale P-39 Airacobra to partner with it.

J
Your unit went out in the mail yesterday. It may take up to 2 weeks to get to Australia though.

Andrrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Here are some further pictures of the install in the Pitts. I overdid on the paint to try to cover up the mesh. The paint filled in too many of the holes, and the sound was muted more than I would like. So I re-did it with a lighter coat of red paint, and made it kind of stylish. Looks pretty good now, and as far as I can tell all the sound escapes. I put the mini speakers up front, they are kind of angled forward and down. Now I just need to adjust the CG, and it is ready to fly!!!

I will get some video of it in start up and idle today, and the plan is to maiden the P-38 and the Pitts tomorrow. I will try to get video!

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait until my sound system fund is ready to loot! You have given me a set of plans for my Pitts and I even get to hear it, like demo'ing a new car!! Can you please tell me where I can get that pilot, it is exactly the style and size I have been looking for. I hope you didn't take the canopy off but went in from the bottom, say yes!! Pilot!!!! Where???? Thank's and good job! Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Looks great! Can't wait until my sound system fund is ready to loot! You have given me a set of plans for my Pitts and I even get to hear it, like demo'ing a new car!! Can you please tell me where I can get that pilot, it is exactly the style and size I have been looking for. I hope you didn't take the canopy off but went in from the bottom, say yes!! Pilot!!!! Where???? Thank's and good job! Dave/zeezee
I am goiing to get a quick video of it this evening, and fly it tomorrow. I had to move the battery forward about 3 inches, so it is past those loops, so I added velcro to hold it down. It still needa bout 1oz. up front I think. The CG point is supposed to be 90mm, it is closer to 100mm right now, a little tail heavy.

Believe it or not, the pilot came with the plane! He was unglued and was flopping around in it though. I cut out where he went, glued him down and put him back in.

I am not going to post the ground video I made, it did not turn out good. The mic on the camera picks up the high tone of the motor/prop more than it does the engine sound. It is not a true representation of how it sounds. I will get flight video tomorrow on another camera.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
Auckland NewZealand
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Hi Andrew,
I am new to this forum and model planes.i have seen the sound module you have been doing and was wondering if these modules can be fitted without cutting EPO at all as i dont feel comfortable just in case i make a mistake.I have just received my baby from PWRC which is P-51 V7 Petie Mustang and would love to stick a sound module in.I've look on the website but i cant see any cost for these units also to ship out to New Zealand.

any advise would be much appreciated.

Laurence
Kiwi1 is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi1
Last edited by Kiwi1; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Here are some further pictures of the install in the Pitts. I overdid on the paint to try to cover up the mesh. The paint filled in too many of the holes, and the sound was muted more than I would like. So I re-did it with a lighter coat of red paint, and made it kind of stylish. Looks pretty good now, and as far as I can tell all the sound escapes. I put the mini speakers up front, they are kind of angled forward and down. Now I just need to adjust the CG, and it is ready to fly!!!

I will get some video of it in start up and idle today, and the plan is to maiden the P-38 and the Pitts tomorrow. I will try to get video!

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Is this plane big enough for a Budget A/B sound system? Will it not be louder?
urrl is online now Find More Posts by urrl
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Is this plane big enough for a Budget A/B sound system? Will it not be louder?
It is the Ultra system that I put in it. 4 speakers total. The two mini 1.22" speakers in the front, and two 2" speakers out the side. The Ultra with 4 speakers is louder than the Budget single speaker.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi1 View Post
Hi Andrew,
I am new to this forum and model planes.i have seen the sound module you have been doing and was wondering if these modules can be fitted without cutting EPO at all as i dont feel comfortable just in case i make a mistake.I have just received my baby from PWRC which is P-51 V7 Petie Mustang and would love to stick a sound module in.I've look on the website but i cant see any cost for these units also to ship out to New Zealand.

any advise would be much appreciated.

Laurence
Laurence,
I replied to you PM.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:17 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Your unit went out in the mail yesterday. It may take up to 2 weeks to get to Australia though.

Andrrew
I'll grab a video for you once it's installed and back in the air.
J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Closed Thread