HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:09 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
Question
High Fliers

My son and I have just started using C engines with parachutes and the landings have been further out than I think they should be by a lot. The rockets seem to drift about a block away. When using B's, we have been able to keep the landing within 30 feet. The rod is as level as I can get it and I wait for low wind conditions, but it is still drifting way out on the way down. His birthday is coming up and he wants rockets. Should I try some light weight high fliers with ribbons instead of parachutes or should I start to learn more launch angles and calculating wind?
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Micubano; Sep 04, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
Should I try some light weight high fliers with ribbons instead of parachutes or should I start to learn more launch angles and calculating wind?
Welcome to the forum Micubano

All of the above with the exception of light weight high fliers. The lighter it is the farther it will drift, the higher it goes the farther it will drift, the bigger the parachute the farther it will drift. The angle you launch at and the wind direction will determine to some degree where the rocket will land. These are all variables you need top take into account.

It sounds like you are trying to land it in your back yard. Bad idea to drop rockets on your neighbours BTW. You should be launching in an open space away from every thing else. I'm amazed you can keep them that close, most rocketeers are used to the idea of having to take a walk for it and losing one or two is common.

In tight areas though a low flying, heavy, blunt nosed rocket using streamer recovery, smaller chute or with a large hole cut in it, is the most practical.

Lots to learn, have fun doing it.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
Thanks, Richard.

Luckily I did some rockets as a kid, so I know not to launch in my backyard. Luckily we have a huge park with a football field next to a couple of baseball fields and a lot of other open space near by before we hit the tree line. There is another place about 15 minutes from here that is about a square mile of fields with some soccer, football and baseball fields scattered around. We will be taking a few high fliers there for his birthday. Both places are usually pretty empty and we can usually recruit the people who are there as spotters.

One of the problems is judging the wind. We are right on top of a mountain and the wind takes strange paths when coming up and over the top. Since we have started heli's and model rockets a few months ago, I have noticed that one side of the fields can have a huge breeze going through the trees, but the flags on the poles and the trees on the other side will just be sitting there. We haven't lost a rocket yet, but just in case I bought some really cheap Estes high flier kits off of EBay. If we lose them, it won't be a big loss. But the nicer rockets we have built will definitely be limited to B class rockets.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:27 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post

One of the problems is judging the wind. We are right on top of a mountain and the wind takes strange paths when coming up and over the top. Since we have started heli's and model rockets a few months ago, I have noticed that one side of the fields can have a huge breeze going through the trees, but the flags on the poles and the trees on the other side will just be sitting there. We haven't lost a rocket yet, but just in case I bought some really cheap Estes high flier kits off of EBay. If we lose them, it won't be a big loss. But the nicer rockets we have built will definitely be limited to B class rockets.
Yes I see that a lot and learning to read gusts etc is part of the job, particularly as I also fly gliders too. Atmospheric turbulence is useful especially thermals for gliders and contest rocketry such as FAI Space Modelling, but calm days are too few in my area. Look at the turbulence pictures from wings or other objects and magnify that to the macro scale of our atmosphere. Where the swirls are in the direction of the wind is a gust where opposite the wind is a lull. The mountain, thermals, and other surface objects all produce this result.

You should see how far the high power guys have to walk.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Micubano,
If you can swing it someday buy the book called 'Handbook of Model Rocketry' by G. Harry Stine. It has a several paragraphs about launching in the wind and recovering with parachutes. Plus a LOT of other useful info.
If your son likes rockets,here's a way to let him absorb a lot more.

Here is a link to the book on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Model...model+rocketry

The 'Look inside" feature highlights the technical articles. Many more pages written in plain English, easy to understand.

Just my unrequested 2 cents.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Micubano,
If you can swing it someday buy the book called 'Handbook of Model Rocketry' by G. Harry Stine. It has a several paragraphs about launching in the wind and recovering with parachutes. Plus a LOT of other useful info.
If your son likes rockets,here's a way to let him absorb a lot more.

Here is a link to the book on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Model...model+rocketry

The 'Look inside" feature highlights the technical articles. Many more pages written in plain English, easy to understand.

Just my unrequested 2 cents.
RCG Plus Member