SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:20 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Question
RC Deskpilot and Win7 troubles

I want to use RCDP on Win 7. The trouble is that it needs DX9 to run, even if later versions are installed. DX11 is part of Win 7 and cannot be removed. If I try to install DX9, the little installer applet says I have a later version of DX installed and refuses to install DX9.

Whither from here, Guys?

Thanks for any help on this.
OldNick is offline Find More Posts by OldNick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Hi OldNick,

The directX9 installer linked to on the http://rcdeskpilot.com/download page should install cleanly next to DirectX11. Also the RCDP installer should detect the missing DX9 and ask you permission to download and install it for you.
The sim not only needs DX9, but the 'managed assemblies' for .NET. So even if you have DX9 installed, you need to run the installer above for these extensions to be installed. It will have no impact on and will not 'downgrade' your DX11.

I hope it works! Let me know if it doesn't, then maybe MIcrosoft (re)moved the DX9 installer.

Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:16 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but that link on the RCDP page is the one I am using. I do not remember being asked either at install time. However that is secondary to the fact that DX9 simply will not install. DXDiag does not show some other sub-DX10 installed. I understand that DX10-11 are not just updates of DX9 and should not stop DX9 installing, but something certainly is!

The DX9 installer is there OK, but won''t work.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Than perhaps it really is installed. What does RCDP say when you launch it?

Cheers,
Davy
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Thanks for this Davy.

How can I tell if DX9 is installed? DXDiag is the only one I know of to check That shows only DX11.

Well what it _said_ was something to the effect that a directx component could not be started ,with lots of other words. trouble is I uninstalled and reinstalled it (sorry I know that can be a PITA when you are trying to help diagnose, but I am not a complete noob and I am trying to look willing )

_Now_ what it does is to run, but ignore the keyboard input. I am using the keyboard while I wait for the correct cable to use my Tx. It's pretty horrid but I have come to some agreement with it on an XP machine.

However, unless you are interested for interest's sake, I have sort of solved the problem as far as having a sim is concerned. On the RCDP site it shows a BMI sim, which is obviously heavily based on RCDP. Funnily enough that works fine. Mauybe that one includes the .net stuff that's needed.

If you want to pursue the DX9 issue OOI, then I am happy to work away at this end, but if wish to leave it then that is no problem at this stage.You will have my thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Hi Nick,

The BMI sim is just a rebranded version of RCDP, but a bit more recent, with better keyboard support for one. The installers are exactly the same. Glad that one works for you!
If BMI runs, you'll have DX9 installed.
The next version of RCDP will have the same improved keyboard support.

Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Davy
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:53 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
AHAH! That explains why I was having that trouble with using the keyboard in RCDP. Thanks.

Still waiting for my cable

BTW do I have the honour of conversing with the developer? It's an amazing programme.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
That would be me :-). Thanks!
It will be a lot better with your Tx than the keyboard!

Cheers,
Davy
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Yes it was. I got the right cable yesterday and after the usual fight with drivers and instructions got it working.

It worked well, but then I went back and tried again. Big trouble. The controls are a mess. Some have mixed into one channel, others do not work at all. One I think was reversed. A couple of sim programmes came with the cable, and the one I tried seemed fine.

RCDP was great until I restarted it. Do you have any ideas?

My other comment is that using the keys in no way prepares you for using the Tx and may teach bad habits. With the keys, because they are not proportional, you "peck and forget". So if you use a Mode 2 Tx and ask for aelerons, then elevator to get lift and turn, you simply tap the aeleron key then leave it. Then you tap the elevator key. With the Tx you really have to concentrate on centring the aeleron as you wind in elevator. Spiral results.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
OK. I seem to be back to normal. I am not sure what happened, but I _think_ I had the two "extra channels" on the 6-channel Tx wound up and they are set to the same channels as some of the major controls. I need to work out how to set those properly.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Nope. Not back to normal.

When I fire up RCDP, sometimes the controls are OK. But usually the channel assignments are screwed.

There are two problems.
(1) The aileron could be the throttle. etc. I _think_ that RCDP assumes that I have a mode 2 Tx?
(2) stuff is getting assigned to nonsense channels: throttle may be CH7 on a 6CH TX

I am using a USB dongle that has bundled softwares with it. It does require that a switch be thrown to suit different sims. The other software seems to be OK with the channels etc. Do you think that the dongle may be the trouble? Have you seen RCDP give weird channel behaviour before?

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Hi OldNick,
RCDP has never had the problem as you described.
It saves the control settings you change.
An exception is only if you reinstall RCDP, the controls will then revert back to default settings.
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:11 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
OK, thanks. It must be this whacky dongle The effect on the controls is that I get a Mode 1 Tx on what is actually a Mode 3 Tx. Then I reset the channels and all is well.And as I say, I get throttle on CH7 and stuff like that.

Not a deal-breaker at all for me. I tried another sim that came with the unit, and it was unbelievably hard to fly. Just taking off was fraught with failure. Even a bit of a bump landing resulted in a complete disintegration of the plane. I have flown just enough RC (and had enough bump landings and worse) to know it ain't _that_ bad.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Ya the channel switching sounds strange and most frustrating.

Does the tx/controller have it's own separate software to switch controls? Normally the tx channels stay the same and any changes/mapping channels is done in the sims itself. In the MSwindow's calibration the channels should remain constant.

I would suggest sticking with one sim till you get the tx working better as it should.
In RCDP, I have on occasion, had to check the 'EXPO' box in order for the control sensitivity to operate correctly.

Good luck, Eves
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
85 Posts
Hi Guys, just downloaded desk pilot onto the laptop, used to have fms on the old pc, alls gone well but is there a guide to what keys to use until I get a Tx wired up, found elevator/alerons and the throttle cut but wheres the rudder and throttle controls?
Thanks in advance
SICKBOYUK is offline Find More Posts by SICKBOYUK