SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisSA View Post
Nope its supported by the firmware but no clue what has to be different on the hardware side of things. Maybe just loosing those four screws that hold the plate for the main camera screw on the cradle, to rebalance nick.

Boris
I didn't change anything but the lens
shdwkeeper is online now Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:20 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
I didn't change anything but the lens
hmm good to know. With me its strange even adding a filter to my 14mm lens results in jumps on the nick axis every 1 to 2 mins during flight. And i notice the filter doesn't let the cam be in blance anymore on the nick axis. My z15 doesn't like that !
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
if you start the video recording, then launch the craft, can you still take still's via the remote channel on the TX? or either video only during a flight or do the remote still shots?

I am trying to decide on the Nex 5n or the Nex7 for the Zenmuse.

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:06 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
One of you had success with the new firmware ?

Thanks

Boris
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:59 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Hi Guys,

maybe one of you has an idea. I am tempted to get a HD transmission going with the zenmus.

Something like this:

http://www.kopterworx.com/Cooming-So...D-Wireless-Kit

Since the HDMI convert is on the Zenmuse cradle and the i guess a normal video signal is passed on to the through the contraction to the GCU, there is no way to attach a HD transmitter or connect into the HDMI signal. No I am wondering though how this will be released with the Ruling with the built in HD transmission ? Must be a way or ?

Boris
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
hmm good to know. With me its strange even adding a filter to my 14mm lens results in jumps on the nick axis every 1 to 2 mins during flight. And i notice the filter doesn't let the cam be in blance anymore on the nick axis. My z15 doesn't like that !
Balance gimbal on all 3 axis with power off. That seems to be the little trick some have done with success.

I personally have not tried it yet because I just fly my S800/WKM/Z15n (nex5n/16mm) and it just works.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
I'm still experimenting with this with both lenses. I have only flown twice and it was a lot to take in on your first few flights. Once I get more time I will let you know how it's reacting and if I had to rebalance. The 20mm is a little heavier than the 14mm.
shdwkeeper is online now Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:48 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
857 Posts
I see that you guys are receiving your GH2 gimbals. When did you order them? I'm still waiting for mine to come.
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,463 Posts
YAV (yet another video)

Z15 video-blog: 2012-09-06: Flugtag Pulkautal (2 min 48 sec)

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:31 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
That is just equipment snobbery with no facts to back it up with. For aerial video there is no reason to expect better performance from a 5D. In fact I suspect it might well turn out to be the other way around.

First let's look at the sensors. 5D has a 35mm and NEX-5 has a 23mm (comparable to Nikon DX). 35mm is great for shallow depth footage, but this is pretty much useless when shooting from a distance up in the air.

Then let's look at the signal processing and video compression. 5D has sub-par signal processing when scaling down the sensor data for video, resulting in aliasing and moire. There is also problems with rolling shutter since the sensors was primarily meant for taking photos. Lack of processing power also limit the video to 30fps. Basically the video feature in the 5D mark II was a last minute hack, resulting in limited functionality. The mark III also has the same limitations but now it is done strategical to prevent out-competing their own professional video cameras. The one really good thing about the new 5D mark III, is that it now supports high-bitrate AVC-Intra compression. Making it ideal for storing shots with lot's of movement in them. But sadly again the 30fps limitation makes the usage somewhat limited.
Nex on the other hand is built with video in mind. Image scaling and processing for video is better. Same goes for rolling shutter. And there is enough power to do 60fps 1080p h.264 compression. But sadly there is no Intra frame compression support. Only 28mbit AVC. But if/when there is a high bit-rate firmware hack made available for this camera, the results should be truly outstanding.

Lenses is where the 5D wins hands down. So far there are a limited option of lenses for the NEX and the 16mm pancake (on paper perfect for aerial video) is a bit soft. Hopefully there will be better optics for the NEX in the near future.

But the better 5D lens quality comes with a price, and that is weight. Weight is the number one enemy when doing multicopter video. Less weight means longer flight times and more stable video (easier for the gimbal to compensate having to move less mass).

So while the 5D is a better stills photo camera, up in the air everything points to the NEX being the better video camera.
Do you think the new canon EOS M will do a good job for filming, just hopping DJI Zen will make some change To adapt other cam
animau is offline Find More Posts by animau
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:54 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
I see that you guys are receiving your GH2 gimbals. When did you order them? I'm still waiting for mine to come.
Hi Quadslo,

I ordered mine think beginning of march.

Boris
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animau View Post
Do you think the new canon EOS M will do a good job for filming, just hopping DJI Zen will make some change To adapt other cam
nex5n is a better camera IMO. you get 60p shooting which is really nice for the dramatic look in aerials.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
We will have a few on Saturday. Actually 6 but 3 are already spoken for.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:56 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
nex5n is a better camera IMO. you get 60p shooting which is really nice for the dramatic look in aerials.
While the crispy picture from the GH2 is amazing I just cannot get over the 30 frames. I almost cannot watch a Youtube video anymore in 30 frames progressive. When there is fast motion or panning it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm dying to find the first retailer though that opens the pre-order for the GH3 which is said to be more on the pro-sumer level with some AMAZING new features for a sub $3000 camera.

Some details here:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/8922/gh...ium-alloy-body

One cool feature to note on the GH3
WiFi with remote control through iOS and Android Applications
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
A little off topic.

Can some share their workflow with the NEx5n on Mac for FCPX?

Also, camera setup workflow before flight?

Thanks and sorry for the slightly off topic questions.