SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Question
RC Timer Motor Question

Anyone know where I can get detailed bench test info. on this motor:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...4&productname=

...couldn't find it on the usual gobrushless website.

thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
bad link
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:14 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
its brings up the site but no motor
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:44 PM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
I do my own bench test. But the moter are good for the price.
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post

thanks
Exactly which motor is it?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
billjim,

That URL you posted is incomplete but has enough info to get us to the home page. If you are copying the link from somewhere else, you have to right click on the link and choose "copy link location" to get the entire URL. Doing a click and drag only gets you the shortened for display portion of the URL.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:

thanks
you should have gotten the spex with the motor if you bought it new, other than that if you want us to help we need more info
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
billjim,

That URL you posted is incomplete but has enough info to get us to the home page. If you are copying the link from somewhere else, you have to right click on the link and choose "copy link location" to get the entire URL. Doing a click and drag only gets you the shortened for display portion of the URL.

Jack
I'm sorry about the bad link. I have tried it again so hopefully it'll work this time:

If in the event it doesn't work. It's at rctimer.com and the motor model number is BC3530-8 1700kV

Thanks again
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:57 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
The link is working fine now.

The RCTimer motors seem to be pretty new on the scene, there has not been any testing on them yet that I know of. They have been sort of "spotted" recently and we're starting to see some reports on them.

The motor you ask about is kind of interesting. It is a 74g motor and it's 35 x 30 O.D. and length dimensions put it as a sort of over square motor with it's diameter being more than it's length. And it's 5mm shaft diameter is larger than is typical for motors of this weight too.

Then the specs for the motor at the link caught my attention. They have it rated for a max power of 460W and that puts the 72g motor at an astounding 6.4W per gram of motor weight. That's a number that certainly needs to be verified in testing to be believed. Most of these motors are capable of 3 Watts or so continuous and I would not expect it to be capable of producing 460 Watts for more than a very brief period of time.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Dec 21, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
The link is working fine now.

The RCTimer motors seem to be pretty new on the scene, there has not been any testing on them yet that I know of. They have been sort of "spotted" recently and we're starting to see some reports on them.

The motor you ask about is kind of interesting. It is a 74g motor and it's 35 x 30 O.D. and length dimensions put it as a sort of over square motor with it's diameter being more than it's length. And it's 5mm shaft diameter is larger than is typical for motors of this weight too.

Then the specs for the motor at the link caught my attention. They have it rated for a max power of 460W and that puts the 72g motor at an astounding 6.4W per gram of motor weight. That's a number that certainly needs to be verified in testing to be believed. Most of these motors are capable of 3 Watts or so continuous and I would not expect it to be capable of producing 460 Watts for more than a very brief period of time.

Jack
Thanks for the input my friend. The watts is really what made me speculative about it as well. I've been told that the average is 3 watts/gram. Making this motor approx. 216 watts.... but 460 watts is way out there. That's why I thought I'd verify it. Hopefully someone will bench test it soon though.

Cheers!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input my friend. The watts is really what made me speculative about it as well. I've been told that the average is 3 watts/gram. Making this motor approx. 216 watts.... but 460 watts is way out there. That's why I thought I'd verify it. Hopefully someone will bench test it soon though.

Cheers!
One thing about the RCTimer motors that caught out eye were the windings they showed in one of their eBay listings. it showed a motor wound with a single strand of larger wire instead of the typical bundle of finer strands in parallel as is most often seen on motor of this class.

And there is another thread here about a problem (loose stator) another guy is having with a RCTimer motor and the photos he posted show the same kind of windings. That thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559746

In general, their work with the larger gauge windings is more like the kind of winding work we do to improve motors than is found on production motors. But we're still trying to find out if RCTimers work is better or not.

When we do the rewinds we can normally increase the copper density to get more current through the motors and that, along with the windings being arranged in even layers and with the same number of turns on every arm, gives us better running and more powerful motors.

So we're sort of wondering if RCTimer is raising the standards here a little or not. But they need to be careful with their advertised specs because some of us read for content. I also notice on the motor pages that they advertise that "..KV value and motor size can make to order!...". That is pretty unusual offering, they must either manufacture the motors themselves or be very close to the production process.

It would be amazing to find out that they are actually getting the kind of power they claim out those. I looked at some of their other motors and they seem a little erratic but, for the most part all read a little to a lot on the high side.

Time will tell...

Jack
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
You're right on the money

Quote:
One thing about the RCTimer motors that caught out eye were the windings they showed in one of their eBay listings. it showed a motor wound with a single strand of larger wire instead of the typical bundle of finer strands in parallel as is most often seen on motor of this class.

And there is another thread here about a problem (loose stator) another guy is having with a RCTimer motor and the photos he posted show the same kind of windings. That thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559746

In general, their work with the larger gauge windings is more like the kind of winding work we do to improve motors than is found on production motors. But we're still trying to find out if RCTimers work is better or not.

When we do the rewinds we can normally increase the copper density to get more current through the motors and that, along with the windings being arranged in even layers and with the same number of turns on every arm, gives us better running and more powerful motors.

So we're sort of wondering if RCTimer is raising the standards here a little or not. But they need to be careful with their advertised specs because some of us read for content. I also notice on the motor pages that they advertise that "..KV value and motor size can make to order!...". That is pretty unusual offering, they must either manufacture the motors themselves or be very close to the production process.

It would be amazing to find out that they are actually getting the kind of power they claim out those. I looked at some of their other motors and they seem a little erratic but, for the most part all read a little to a lot on the high side.

Time will tell...

Jack