HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,961 Posts
I think their must have been a fire.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
Thanks very much Peabody.

Hard to tell until more CopterControl FPV videos are available, but based on this one alone, the board looks to be producing pretty jittery corrections on every bank and turn. I didn't notice any wobbling, which is nice, but most FPV videos I've seen from MultiWii based copters look to transition thru turns and banks far smoother. Maybe as the code matures it'll reach MultiWii and even MK on-board video production quality.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
www.joescnc.com
Joecnc2006's Avatar
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Thanks very much Peabody.

Hard to tell until more CopterControl FPV videos are available, but based on this one alone, the board looks to be producing pretty jittery corrections on every bank and turn. I didn't notice any wobbling, which is nice, but most FPV videos I've seen from MultiWii based copters look to transition thru turns and banks far smoother. Maybe as the code matures it'll reach MultiWii and even MK on-board video production quality.
There are to many variable at play to make a statement that the Openpilot CC Board is not up to par with multiWii or MK smoothness, You should look at the many video's of the quads flying and can easily tell it is with par or maybe above the multiwii in performance.
I would not use one video to judge as you mentioned, I would wait for more FPV Videos to emerge.

As stated this depends on the quad build, motors used, is the camera hard mounted or has dampening material when mounted, etc. etc. the list goes on.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecnc2006 View Post
There are to many variable at play to make a statement that the Openpilot CC Board is not up to par with multiWii or MK smoothness, You should look at the many video's of the quads flying and can easily tell it is with par or maybe above the multiwii in performance.
I would not use one video to judge as you mentioned, I would wait for more FPV Videos to emerge.

As stated this depends on the quad build, motors used, is the camera hard mounted or has dampening material when mounted, etc. etc. the list goes on.
I completely agree and look forward to many more FPV videos from CC based copters. I think it has tremendous potential. From a 3rd person perspective it looks amazingly stable, but I also know that a lot of flight characteristic details tend to only show up in on-board videos.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Thanks very much Peabody.

Hard to tell until more CopterControl FPV videos are available, but based on this one alone, the board looks to be producing pretty jittery corrections on every bank and turn. I didn't notice any wobbling, which is nice, but most FPV videos I've seen from MultiWii based copters look to transition thru turns and banks far smoother. Maybe as the code matures it'll reach MultiWii and even MK on-board video production quality.
Keep in mind a few things:

1) Basically it's up to how you tune the aircraft. He was tuning that pretty tightly to get a fast response which will push it towards oscillations. Having a fast response and having a smooth response are unfortunately trade offs (especially in attitude mode when you have layered loops)

2) this is in attitude control as opposed to rate mode (multiwii). you will get less oscillations in rate mode because you don't have that outer control loop.

3) MK can do as well as they can in attitude mode because of their ESCs having much higher bandwidth than off the shelf ones. This is why I've been working on an ESC for openpilot (and why my finger is hurting right now to type this) Here is a big prototype of it (final board will be much smaller)
More OpenPilot ESC testing (1 min 11 sec)


Also the pro series (and in principle CC, but untested) can use MK ESCs. If you look in the video from our 2011 Summit you can see an MK frame being controlled by the beta hardware of our pro series and it's VERY stable and reacts quickly. It's basically the thing that made an ESC a high priority for me:

OpenPilot Summit 2011 (36 min 47 sec)
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Thanks very much Peabody.

Hard to tell until more CopterControl FPV videos are available, but based on this one alone, the board looks to be producing pretty jittery corrections on every bank and turn. I didn't notice any wobbling, which is nice, but most FPV videos I've seen from MultiWii based copters look to transition thru turns and banks far smoother. Maybe as the code matures it'll reach MultiWii and even MK on-board video production quality.
mine are not jittery or bouncy at all, smooth as most of my solid setups.
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:00 PM
www.joescnc.com
Joecnc2006's Avatar
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
Keep in mind a few things:

1) Basically it's up to how you tune the aircraft. He was tuning that pretty tightly to get a fast response which will push it towards oscillations. Having a fast response and having a smooth response are unfortunately trade offs (especially in attitude mode when you have layered loops)

2) this is in attitude control as opposed to rate mode (multiwii). you will get less oscillations in rate mode because you don't have that outer control loop.

3) MK can do as well as they can in attitude mode because of their ESCs having much higher bandwidth than off the shelf ones. This is why I've been working on an ESC for openpilot (and why my finger is hurting right now to type this) Here is a big prototype of it (final board will be much smaller)
The Esc Looks very promising, Nice work, Looking forward to seeing more testing of it.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:52 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Semi-success with my T-copter. Tonight I replaced all three ESCs (one was acting up) and installed some spare Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESCs. I set them for manual throttle calibration and then calibrated them through the CC via the procedures mentioned earlier in this thread. Initial motor checks were good with motors running in the proper directions.

I took the T outside for a hover maiden. This time the T lifting evenly (with the bad esc I was getting forward tilt all the time); however, unlike with the other ESCs, the T quickly started banking left and right until it started banging the arms on the ground (was only hovering a few inches up). Previous flight was nice and smooth in the roll, now there is nothing smooth in the roll at all. I'm in stabilization (auto level) mode. Obviously I need to adjust my roll PID. Before doing so, what is recommended to adjust first and do I need to increase or decrease the setting?

I don't quite understand why it was roll stable with the original ESCs and roll unstable with the new (and supposedly better) ESCs. Oh yeah, yes I did calibrate the accelerometers already. Thanks for your learned advice.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
FPV really is fun.
Scotth72's Avatar
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
946 Posts
Castle esc's don't work well in multirotors. They will not accept the high pwm rates being outputted by the flight controller.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:10 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
This is corect. Also some Castle ESC versions have auto throttle calibration at power-on which is what makes ESC's incompatable with multicopters which mandate manual throttle calibration. Also some Castle ESC's have a built-in throttle curve "smoothing" which is not compatable for multicopter use. See ESC info in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index for ESCs known to work well with multicopters.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
Castle esc's don't work well in multirotors. They will not accept the high pwm rates being outputted by the flight controller.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:24 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Thanks guys. I remember reading about the CC controllers and multi-copters. I was thinking the T-bird series didn't work well where the Phoenix series did. I set up my controllers for manual throttle calibration and 'normal' settings like my RCTimer ESCs. I'll do some more looking in the MultiWii thread and the Mega thread to see what info I can find.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
T See ESC info in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index for ESCs known to work well with multicopters.
Cheers,
Jim
All I can see in that thread is a POLL. How do you look for the ESC info?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
Keep in mind a few things:

1) Basically it's up to how you tune the aircraft. He was tuning that pretty tightly to get a fast response which will push it towards oscillations. Having a fast response and having a smooth response are unfortunately trade offs (especially in attitude mode when you have layered loops)

2) this is in attitude control as opposed to rate mode (multiwii). you will get less oscillations in rate mode because you don't have that outer control loop.

3) MK can do as well as they can in attitude mode because of their ESCs having much higher bandwidth than off the shelf ones. This is why I've been working on an ESC for openpilot (and why my finger is hurting right now to type this) Here is a big prototype of it (final board will be much smaller) http://vimeo.com/24952342

Also the pro series (and in principle CC, but untested) can use MK ESCs. If you look in the video from our 2011 Summit you can see an MK frame being controlled by the beta hardware of our pro series and it's VERY stable and reacts quickly. It's basically the thing that made an ESC a high priority for me:

http://vimeo.com/23865574
Have you considered putting dynamic breaking function on your esc? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958957
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Registered User
SupraGo's Avatar
Canada, AB, Vegreville
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
All I can see in that thread is a POLL. How do you look for the ESC info?
Scroll down??
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
All I can see in that thread is a POLL. How do you look for the ESC info?
thread tools, dont pay attention to the poll. because you cant edit the poll it doesnt even make sense.
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The Aussie RCG Coffee thread (aka "we don't drink instant") glydr Australia 164 Sep 08, 2012 04:33 AM
Discussion NEW? -Openpilot flight controller tc3wins Multirotor Talk 229 Mar 02, 2012 06:14 PM
Discussion Share your art! PinkYakRC Painting and Finishing Tips 13 Apr 27, 2011 08:04 PM
Discussion RCG 07 JR Indoor Live Coverage Thread Jim T. Graham JR Indoor Electric Festival 19 Nov 04, 2007 02:36 PM
Discussion My first RCG flame thread WBE Chit Chat 6 Sep 04, 2007 10:17 PM