SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,819 Posts
Check it out. At the 3DHS Fly Low In East in NJ this past weekend, this monster flew. I went over to take a picture and mentioned the micro version and the owner said he had one!
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yeah the Beast set is has gold trim and the 3D set has silver trim
-Brian
ok, so it looks like there's no difference at all between the two sets of parts other then the color? (Beast vs Beast 3D)

I'm going to buy a complete airframe, and the airframe parts for the 3D version are all out of stock, but the old gold version is in stock, and I kinda like the gold better anyway, just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake before I order.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
obserwator
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Feb 2012
567 Posts
Hi there,

I need an in-runner brush-less motor for my Typhoon 3D (Parkzone) - a cheap substitution that would hold to original specs of stock motor.

Thank you in advance!
zawaprz is offline Find More Posts by zawaprz
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaprz View Post
Hi there,

I need an in-runner brush-less motor for my Typhoon 3D (Parkzone) - a cheap substitution that would hold to original specs of stock motor.

Thank you in advance!
wrong thread?
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Jim350s' Beast 3D number 4 elevator continued to lock up this morning. It suffered a fair bit of damage from the crashes but can be polished up. I'll be ripping it apart to see what the cause is this evening in hopes to fix it before it takes flight again..
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
923 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342848491.420902.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 125.5 KB
Description:

I just wanted to show you guys what I had been doing with my Beasts. These are the from the float set that are offered for the Umx Carbon Cub. We have also had success with the Umx Sbach on floats.

This video shows the initial test over land.

umx beast and sbach float mod flight test (3 min 22 sec)

And then...

Trojanman's Sbach Floats mod maiden (4 min 23 sec)
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:46 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Attachment 5024844

I just wanted to show you guys what I had been doing with my Beasts. These are the from the float set that are offered for the Umx Carbon Cub. We have also had success with the Umx Sbach on floats.
Very nice, a few close up pictures of how you put those floats on the Beast would be nice, basically, belly shots. (And a Beast video if you ever have a chance). I think I have to start shopping for those floats!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:46 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,942 Posts
I picked up a couple of GWS 5x3 3 bladed props after seeing some reference to running this prop on the plane through a Google search, it's supposed to be just as manoeuvrable, but slower if you cut the prop down to a 4x3 (according to what I read through the google search)

I'll try it out and see, I think the plane flys great, but it would be nice if I could slow it down just a little bit.

I cut the prop down to a 4x3 and re-balanced it, and I'll give it a try tomorrow in the am.

I ordered a complete air-frame, the older gold trimmed version, right down to the nose cone, plus a decal set for the older gold trimmed plane. once I learn to fly the thing, (if it holds out that long) I'll be able to swap the guts into the new air-frame and have a nice looking flyer to ad to my fleet.

I figured I'd learn on the old beat up plane first though. So far, I think I'm doing pretty good with it, I haven't really crashed it yet, I ran out of battery a couple of times and had to dump it in the tall grass because it wasn't going to make it back to the runway.

I noticed for a smooth landing, you have to come in hot with quite a bit of power, you can't just cut the throttle and glide in, that don't work because it sinks like a rock when you do, but I've been able to get some really smooth landing out of it by coming in with about 1/3rd of the throttle open, than slowly cutting the throttle as the wheels touch down so it rolls to a gentle stop.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I picked up a couple of GWS 5x3 3 bladed props after seeing some reference to running this prop on the plane through a Google search, it's supposed to be just as manoeuvrable, but slower if you cut the prop down to a 4x3 (according to what I read through the google search)

I'll try it out and see, I think the plane flys great, but it would be nice if I could slow it down just a little bit.

I cut the prop down to a 4x3 and re-balanced it, and I'll give it a try tomorrow in the am.

I ordered a complete air-frame, the older gold trimmed version, right down to the nose cone, plus a decal set for the older gold trimmed plane. once I learn to fly the thing, (if it holds out that long) I'll be able to swap the guts into the new air-frame and have a nice looking flyer to ad to my fleet.

I figured I'd learn on the old beat up plane first though. So far, I think I'm doing pretty good with it, I haven't really crashed it yet, I ran out of battery a couple of times and had to dump it in the tall grass because it wasn't going to make it back to the runway.

I noticed for a smooth landing, you have to come in hot with quite a bit of power, you can't just cut the throttle and glide in, that don't work because it sinks like a rock when you do, but I've been able to get some really smooth landing out of it by coming in with about 1/3rd of the throttle open, than slowly cutting the throttle as the wheels touch down so it rolls to a gentle stop.
I flew my B3D on a 5x3x3 for quite a while before I switched to the 3000kv motor. It flies just fine with the 5x3x3. No need to cut it down to 4". In fact you might actually get more speed as it'll be turning at a higher rpm. Of course the beast's huge cowl might block enough airflow to slow it down....

here is a link to an old pic of the 5x3x3 on my B3D.

As far as landings I'm assuming you mean "hot" as in under power, not "hot" in the normal meaning being fast. You're right about needing to land with power as I've seen dropped pieces of jelly covered toast with better glide ratios than the B3D! If you use the elevator to manage speed and the throttle to manage the rate of descent you'll be rewarded with the most awesome 3-point landings at a nice slow speed.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added link
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I've replaced the elevator servo twice now on my beast brick so now I'm running on my third. I noticed on the second switch out that the drive gear on the screw drive rubbed on the PC board which I hope caused the issue so I carefully made clearance by scraping the PC board with an old xacto knife. Now I can see light between the gear and board.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
On Jim's board, there's not much room for error in that gap either, but it still has light between it.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
Can a DX4e fly this Beast???????

Ahoy! I've been fly'n my UM t-28 with my DX4e stock SC radio. Can I fly this Beast with this radio. I'm looking for a micro biplane that I can bind n fly to this radio. I love these micro planes! I like to just fly, I'm not interesred in building anything. I don't take many chances because I don't like repairing them either. I'm an old pirate that came back to RC fly'n after a 15 year break. All my nitro/gas planes are in the attic!!!!! I just love these electric foamies.

Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
Ahoy! I've been fly'n my UM t-28 with my DX4e stock SC radio. Can I fly this Beast with this radio. I'm looking for a micro biplane that I can bind n fly to this radio. I love these micro planes! I like to just fly, I'm not interesred in building anything. I don't take many chances because I don't like repairing them either. I'm an old pirate that came back to RC fly'n after a 15 year break. All my nitro/gas planes are in the attic!!!!! I just love these electric foamies.

Capt'n Ron
Ron,

You can fly the Beast with the DX4e. It probably won't be as enjoyable as flying it with a much more precise, much lower-latency tx such as the DX6i, but it will fly the plane.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Welcome back Capt'n! Where are you flying at? I'm in south Portage and often fly at Ramona Park.

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
1Radioflyer...I'm fly'n on the west side of Kalamazoo on Drake Road at Western Michigan University Park. It's the big field where you park to walk the trails and go through the woods. I'll be there tomorrow morning at 6am if there is no wind. I fly in the mornings just before sunrise if no wind. You are welcome. I'm the only one fly'n there.

Turboparker... Thanks for letting me know I can use the DX4e with the Beast.

Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain