Old May 06, 2016, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,762 Posts
Discussion
DX8 G2 vs DX9

I've been considering getting a new radio. My beloved SD-10GS is still a good radio but they are never going to get on board with telemetry at Airtronics and since Global is no longer the US distributor I've decided it's time to move on...sniff...sniff...

I've been looking at Spektrum radios simply because I like the way they feel in my hands and I like the service I get at Horizon. So I'm looking at the DX8 G2 and the DX9 and I'm trying to understand the differences between the two besides one channel. I primarily fly DLGs. I might get an ALES plane and I might fly a quad occasionally. Is there any good reason for me to spend the extra $ on the DX9? Will the DX8 G2 make a good DLG radio?

Thanks In Advance.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2016, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by samc99us
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
4,975 Posts
Mike,

That's a good question. I don't have a good answer for you. I was going to point you in the direction of Spektrum's radio comparison chart. The DX8 isn't on there. I did notice there are some telemetry functions it can't do: https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...patibility.pdf

I believe the software is very similar across all the newer Spektrum radios. I would check switch location for your DLG launching needs.

Oh, further, I just did some digging, I may be wrong, but the AR6260 receiver doesn't actually have telemetry built-in. You need a separate telemetry module for that! These Lemon RX's appear to have telemetry: http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=140

BTW, I still have my JR XG11MV for sale if you or anyone else is interested. I think it would work very well for you Mike and the JR receivers have built-in telemetry, no need for a separate module!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 06, 2016, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by Scrib
DLG Addict
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
798 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the most recent gen DX7 - programming is easy and the radio is light and grippy for one-handed operation. I don't use telemetry so not sure about those functions. I did have to swap-in a momentary paddle switch for launch (gear position).

Haven't had any complaints about operation.

Good luck with the selection process!

Jason
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old May 06, 2016, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by samc99us
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
4,975 Posts
Mike,

I did some more reading. Here is a good post from a DLG guy with a DX18 that switched to a Taranis: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...88&postcount=5

Ignoring cost, immediately the fact that you need an AR6260+TM1100 just to get Telemetry is a non-starter. I think you would have a hard time cramming that setup into your 2x Stream NXT's! If you don't like the Taranis for whatever reason, the Graupner MZ-24 is out, that leaves you with maybe Jeti or a JR solution, since the Spektrum one is a big ? on fit.

The XG14 is a very solid choice. I like the XG11MV option for those that can afford it and have larger hands. It gives you the option to use a module-so you can use a FrSky 4 channel rx w/ built-in telemetry, or the JR rx's for on-screen telemetry, or use a Spektrum module for your BNF's...all the options you could want! It has software that has been developed with DLG's in mind (recall, Joe W. is a team JR guy), it's a grippy radio, it's new, its well supported, it has a rock solid protocol.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 06, 2016, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by racedouge1
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2006
995 Posts
You have pretty much answered your own question....Not much difference between the two. Gen 2 is a dual diversity antenna. The DX6 gets it next, 18 and 9 already have them. Don't really know what they will do with the 7. But you are right about receivers, Spektrum utterly failed with the 6250 and 6255 then band-aided it the 6260 dual receiver. They have never looked back to this niche market.

Not a big open source fan, But Frysky receivers are rock solid.

If you're looking at JR there is nothing better than the 612BX receiver, But you will pay for it.
racedouge1 is online now Find More Posts by racedouge1