Old Oct 06, 2015, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by Witterings
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,928 Posts
Discussion
Which Viscosity CA Glue When

I'm just about to order some more CA and Kicker and was wondering when people differentiate between using thin, medium or thick and does say a think viscosity produce a better bond than thin as I've always just gone for medium historically and used it for everything.

A slightly off topic but another glue query as well, the screws on a kitchen cupboard have come lose where people people opening and letting go of the door and the weight has damaged the wood they screw into and wanted to fill and re-drill the holes ....... Am I best off just filling it with Epoxy or is there something better I can use.

Thought I'd just ask the 2nd question in case someone just happened to know but as it's' not exactly RC related if people only want to help with the 1st query that's absolutely fine
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Built For Comfort
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
979 Posts
I use thin for tight fitting balsa to balsa and ca hinges.

Medium for balsa to spruce, basswood, plywood, and not so tight fitting balsa to balsa.

Thick for hardwood/plywood to same, and when I want a little time to adjust the parts before it sets up.

These are generalizations. Which viscosity really is a case by case decision for me. Also, I've had excellent results with substituting Loctite Ultragel Control in place of epoxy on electric powered airplanes.

TP
AMA 59376
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Oct 06, 2015, 08:16 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
I use thin for tight fitting balsa to balsa and ca hinges.

Medium for balsa to spruce, basswood, plywood, and not so tight fitting balsa to balsa.

Thick for hardwood/plywood to same, and when I want a little time to adjust the parts before it sets up.
Cheers for that !!!

I just used medium for re-fitting a battery tray which I have no idea how it got broken as it's never been whacked and one of the bits has fallen straight off.

I wonder if I may have actually been better off using epoxy for something like that ........ am I right in thinking epoxy is stronger as well???
Old Oct 06, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
United States, NY, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2008
5,938 Posts
Agree with Tepid Pilot. However, I normally use Elmer's wood glue for everything that Med/Thick CA does. But I like to take my time too.

And yes Epoxy for when the strength really counts... but it comes at a weight penalty so only use it if really needed.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Oct 06, 2015, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by Jennifer Curtis
Joined Jan 2015
211 Posts
On the cabinet, drill out the screw hole
to the size of a dowel. Epoxy a piece of
dowel in the hole, then drill and screw it
as you would a fresh piece of wood.

jenny
Jennifer Curtis is offline Find More Posts by Jennifer Curtis
Old Oct 06, 2015, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
Or on the cabinet take a piece of insulated wire and put it in the hole. Then screw in the screw. Tada!
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Old Oct 06, 2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by BobRCnut
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,871 Posts
Round toothpicks work well, too.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Oct 06, 2015, 05:01 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,928 Posts
Brilliant guys thank you for the cabinet comments, much appreciated especially as they were a bit off topic !!!!!!

And to everyone for the CA comments as well, think as I'm probably going to use all of them over time might as well order one of each as if I get them from the same place the postage alone on just one order will pay for one of them.

I also have some foam safe kicker that I bought as they didn't have the normal in stock, it doesn't seem to work as well with normal CA as it does foam safe CA .. or is that my imagination ...... I'm guessing they're different formulas for the glue so therefore need different kickers ???
Old Oct 06, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
Also baking soda is an excellent kicker. Watch out...it gets pretty warm. Very handy sometimes, like when embedding a shock cord on a wing.
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas