Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
6,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico0273 View Post
Sorry guys, should have been more specific. The shutter/chatter is after I take off. The tail moves up and down for no reason in flight to the point I almost crashed from about 8 ft off the ground. It seems to be worse at high speed but does it at slower speeds too.
Cool. so at least it is localized. As Joel said, check for slop in that elevator axis, then. Likely you will find something loose, bent, crushed or otherwise not up to scratch. I have found a tricky little problem is when the control horn gets loose at the foam interface (usually due to crash or hangar rash). That's one you have to both look at and wiggle with your fingers to check out. Should be no play there.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by enrico0273
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Aug 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Cool. so at least it is localized. As Joel said, check for slop in that elevator axis, then. Likely you will find something loose, bent, crushed or otherwise not up to scratch. I have found a tricky little problem is when the control horn gets loose at the foam interface (usually due to crash or hangar rash). That's one you have to both look at and wiggle with your fingers to check out. Should be no play there.
You guys called it! I took your advice and held the plane in my hand then slowly throttled up. Sure enough, the prop was off balance causing the As3x to compensate and make almost all the control surfaces shake violently. Turns out my prop adapter is off center? So I replaced it with a 3mm eflite prop adapter and drilled out teh prop hole to fit. Spooled everything up as before and its much smoother. Problem solved! thanks everyone
enrico0273 is offline Find More Posts by enrico0273
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico0273 View Post
You guys called it! I took your advice and held the plane in my hand then slowly throttled up. Sure enough, the prop was off balance causing the As3x to compensate and make almost all the control surfaces shake violently. Turns out my prop adapter is off center? So I replaced it with a 3mm eflite prop adapter and drilled out teh prop hole to fit. Spooled everything up as before and its much smoother. Problem solved! thanks everyone
Glad it worked out for you and it was a relatively easy fix. Happy flying!
Blaze0021 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
6,052 Posts
Woo Hoo!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:24 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
OK, decided to be a cheap skate () and used a THIN layer of 30 mins. epoxy to glue it back down. Curing as we speak. Didn't use more than a drop fro the entire cradle. It looks like it will hold.

Thanks for the confirmation guys! Always appreciate the help around here.

(Can't remember the last time I used foam safe CA so I'm not going to pay $10 for a bottle and use it once.)
Just did 4 flights tonight with all 4 tipping over since I'm landing on grass and the repair is rock solid. No change in CG - didn't expect it to.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK