SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by orion1723
United States, UT, Clearfield
Joined Dec 2014
19 Posts
Just ordered a DL 50 as my first step into DLG. Have a few build related questions to those who may know or have some experience.

Obviously these are pretty broad and "What If/Why Not" questions. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

1. Thinking of skinning the wings with Balsa(1/16") glued with Gorilla Glue(Vacuum bagged) anything to be aware of?

2. Thinking of adding Carbon Veil as an intermediate/bonding/strengthening layer on the wings.

3. Thinking about running pushrods/pull-pull internally on the tail boom.

4. Thinking about replacing the Carbon Rod spars with Carbon TUBE spars(Same OD). Hopefully this would be a weight saving measure allowed by the Balsa Wing Skin.

I will generally be flying in northern utah by gsl. This plane may also be used for some limited sloping.

thanks
orion1723 is offline Find More Posts by orion1723
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by clintc
United States, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Dec 2000
650 Posts
Why do you think you need to skin with balsa? Also, gorilla glue will expand as it sets, and could add significant weight on top of the balsa skins. Just bagging the wings with the supplied glass may be enough of an improvement. I don't know how much weight you'd save with carbon tubes, vs rods, but gut feel is its not a lot.

I'm not really familiar with this model, just what's on the web page where you can buy it, so I may be completely off base. But unless you think you're going to be tough on the plane (lots of crashing) I'd keep the mods to a minimum. More added weight is not usually a good thing with dlg
clintc is offline Find More Posts by clintc
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by clintc
United States, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Dec 2000
650 Posts
No flutter today. Not sure if that's good or bad....
clintc is offline Find More Posts by clintc
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by bwill6
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,523 Posts
I would build it exactly as the instructions say. I definitely would not replace the rods with tubes. Carbon veil will add weight without adding any appreciable strength.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6