New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by shortbuskid
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
Discussion
Help the new guy!

Ok. My 10 year old was diagnosed with Lymphoma a few months ago. He and I started spending all of our time together so I could take care of him, this resulted in lots of YouTube. It was decided then, while watching some RC videos we needed to get a plane. After visiting our LHS and seeing what RTF slowflyers were available we decided to save up and get a Champ. Unfortunately, while this was going on, my mother-in-law overheard us talking about it and before I knew it she had purchased us an RC plane at a yard sale.

I am now the proud owner of most of an Aerobird Challenger. I say "most of" because it looks like I need rubber bands for the wing and new servo leads to go through the tail boom. It has the battery pack, charger, transmitter and DVD with manual. The wing is in good shape and I charged the battery to make sure the motor works, and I can hear the servos working. Here is where I need some help. I've searched Google like crazy looking for an answer and this is the forum that has the most ABC activity. The control horns on the tail are intact and fine, but like I said there is no line running from the servo to the horns. I've got plenty of fishing line to use, but what I can't find in any video or image is how to attach the line to the servo, and then to the tail. I assume it has to be more than just tying a knot.

Doing a search for replacement control horn assemblies shows "keepers" as well as a pair of tiny screws and tiny knurled nuts that would go on them. My thought is somehow the line feeds into this and allows you to adjust the tension to keep the elevator neutral (I was surprised to see that my thought about the rubber band was correct, that is also missing).

I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Does anyone have an ABC with a stock tail assembly they could snap some good photos of so I can see what I need.

2. You get bonus points if you can show me how the line attaches to the servos as well.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

p.s. Incidentally she only paid a quarter for it.
shortbuskid is offline Find More Posts by shortbuskid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2015, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,454 Posts
Where are you located, There is a good chance there is someone on RCG that can help you or
a local club, any member would be glad to give you a hand.
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old Jun 08, 2015, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,867 Posts
The fishing line indeed just gets tied into the hole on the servo arm.

Even in brand-new condition, an ABC isn't a very great trainer. Tell MIL "thanks" and keep saving for the Champ (which is excellent).
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 08, 2015, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
That's my idea, keep saving for the Champ. But hey, for a smooth 25 cents I can't really go wrong with it. I can get some rubber bands and fishing line and get this critter in the air for a second or two. Something to tinker with while we wait to get the other one.

As for location, I'm in western Arkansas.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by lazermule
United States, MN, East Bethel
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
I had an ABC... Flew for about 30 seconds and spent 2 years in a large oak tree. +1 on the Champ. Best of luck to you and the boy.

LM
lazermule is online now Find More Posts by lazermule
Old Jun 08, 2015, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
I'm beginning to think maybe my mil over paid!

Mike
Old Jun 08, 2015, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,454 Posts
Mike, you have a message!

Brad
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
So to continue this along, I managed to tear into the cabin of this plane and remove the control board. I pulled the old line from the servos and ran new line in from the tail boom. I tied this line onto the servos and secured a piece of tape on each one so I could mark them L and R when I hooked the battery up to it. After hooking the battery up to it, but before checking servo locations, I got stupid and hit the throttle to see the prop spin. It stopped quickly when I realized that it sucked the control lines around the shaft. So yea...

This morning I cleaned all that up and ran new lines. I got them labeled and secured to the control horns on the tail. The seem to work fine. I set the plane (no wing on it) in the floor. made sure the prop area was clear and gave it throttle. The motor ran fine. For 2 seconds. It cut out, leaving me with only the servos working. I eased the throttle back up again, slowly, it ran for about 3 seconds at low speed and stopped again. My thought is a bad battery....after all, this was a 25 cent plane from a yard sale.

When I plug the charger int the 12v plug in my car, it blinks like it's charging for a few minutes then glows steady to indicate a complete charging cycle. I've read in other forums that say it might be the charger and not the battery. They also say not to run your car while charging. I know I already did that. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mikey
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
2,535 Posts
Check the battery with a voltmeter.

At full charge it should read 4.2 volts or slightly less, but i would say not under 4.17.
If it reads down around 3.5 volts or less, it is real close to motor cut off point on the ESC.
I was helping a friend with his Champ the other day (he had 2 bad batteries out of 5)
You can get the batteries pretty cheap here.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/37v-160m...tery-G-131.htm

Added: I don't think much of the included chargers for the small planes, but they will usually work good enough rather than spending money on a decent charger.
If you plan to stay in RC, you will end up buying a charger anyway.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
Yea, I'm thinking about sticking with the hobby. I was looking at new NiMH batteries for the Aerobird and they are about $18 where a lipo is half that. But, one I figure out if it is battery or charger, I will likely err on the side of caution and get the recommended battery pack. When I am more comfortable with the plane, then I will look into a lipo. Thanks for the tip, Clive!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbuskid View Post
Yea, I'm thinking about sticking with the hobby. I was looking at new NiMH batteries for the Aerobird and they are about $18 where a lipo is half that. But, one I figure out if it is battery or charger, I will likely err on the side of caution and get the recommended battery pack. When I am more comfortable with the plane, then I will look into a lipo. Thanks for the tip, Clive!

The ESC in that plane probably won't support a LIPO battery.

Added: the voltage numbers that i posted were for a LIPO battery.
I thought you were talking about the Champ (my mistake)
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Jun 10, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,454 Posts
What size is the ABC battery?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 03:14 PM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
It's a 7.2v 900. I've read that some folks were able to run a 2C lipo on them, but the board wouldn't have any idea when it ran low on power and when to shut it off before damaging the battery.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Ron H
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,181 Posts
That pack probably is bad after sitting unused. You can get a better pack here for the same price.
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cus...ks.aspx?mid=20

I think the Aerobird is a good beginner plane, very easy to fly when trimmed properly. Getting the lines just right can be tricky the first few times though and you have to fly between adjustments to test.

Fixed link http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/Cus...LTAM&Upgrade=n
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2015
10 Posts
While I'm waiting to get my new battery pack, I decided to take it out for a maiden. Glide. I don't have near enough juice in the cells to run the motor but for a few seconds, but there is plenty to operate the servos. This means I can check my line linkages and see how they work. In a word: I don't know. I was wrong. A simple glide path doesn't offer me enough time to check my controls. However, giving it full down aileron did extend the glide distance all the way across the street and into my neighbor's yard. So that's promising. Still, it doesn't look like I've got much throw on these flaps one way or the other. I guess I'll have to either wait for the new battery or find a taller slope to pitch it from.