SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Joined Dec 2007
1,704 Posts
I own one have not tried it out yet, has the aluminum air restrictor throttle.
Something to use perhaps in a CL plane with a spring loaded 3rd line for throttle or perhaps an RC Air Boat.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by robert harik
Joined Dec 2003
816 Posts
ARF's and electrics have really made the hobby accessible to people who would not be flying otherwise. Demand and modern electronics have made prices so cheap any one can afford to fly RC now. I remember a friend of my dads gave me a built 40 sized RC airplane( no engine or radio) in the late 60's . We went into the local hobby store and my dad about fell over when they said …" oh about $350 to get it flying"!
Thats about $ 2400.00 in todays dollars!
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Last edited by robert harik; Jun 25, 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by xplaneguy
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
3,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
My flying buddy and I recently had the pleasure of attending SMALL with our collection of Surestart powered pylon racers and 1/2A Control Line Stunt models. There were a few of your Surestart bashing brethren in attendance that wanted to know where the heck we got such powerful Cox engines.
049Flyer-It was a pleasure meeting you and Tracy at SMALL. Sure wish guys could have stayed longer than one day.

To be honest, I'm more than a little surprised by your comment above in reference to "Surestart bashing brethren in attendance."

My daughter and I attended SMALL for five days and not once did I hear a person bash Sure Start .049s or even say anything negative about any model or person. I'm not saying it didn't happen but this would be the first I'm hearing of any such experience at this year's gathering. As many saw in Tee Bee's video, 'How to start a Cox Engine', there was a lot of support for each participant and lots of jokes and playful banter going on at the event, all light hearted fun and nothing I ever heard with venom.

I know myself and many other pilots made the effort to walk down the flight line to visit with you and Tracy and complimented you both on a great collection of 1/2A planes. I thanked you both for coming and allowing me to photograph all of your 1/2A planes. I witnessed and spoke to several guys who also compliment you both and were glad you attended.

Bottom line: The number of "active" 1/2A flyers is diminishing every day...it's a fact! We are either passing away, converting to electric or just collecting, though I'm sure there's many other factors. We need to support one another and continue to enjoy this aspect of model aviation while we still can. There are many pilots who call our planes slimers and think it's crazy we still fly these old, noisy, and messy engines. We've gotta stick together and at SMALL.....we even managed to recruited a few more to our "active" ranks for next year!

I sure hope you and Tracy return next year and have a better experience, free of negative comments......that is definitely not in the Spirit of SMALL!

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Jun 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added bottom line
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by 049flyer
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
177 Posts
I likely over reacted to Gallopin's remarks. Bashing was a bit strong. I read a lot of similar remarks concerning these engines and it pains me to think that others may avoid a fine 1/2A engine based on similar comments. The Surestart certainly has it's limitations but for the price is a heck of a nice engine.

Concerning SMALL, there were several in attendance that weren't quite bashing the dimunitive Surestart, but were certainly under the assumption that Surestarts were low power Baby Bee type of engines. I think Tracy and I proved that the Surestart is a different engine when it comes to power and reliability.

There are precious few 1/2A modelers and merchants left, it would benefit all of us if we supported the hobby and the merchants with more positive and accurate information.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my passion for 1/2A. Cox has provided me with 50 years of fun for very little money.
049flyer is offline Find More Posts by 049flyer
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by xplaneguy
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
3,468 Posts
All good pal and I'm right there with you. My passion for 1/2A as a young man, led to currently a 27 year Air Force career. To get to share that passion not only with my daughter but with other folks who feel the same......is such a thrill for me!

As matter of fact, I'm flying in an F-16D this coming Monday and sealed in my helmet bag will be a photo of my daughter, an American Flag, and a Cox .049 Black Widow.
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RutanRC at RCX 2015
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
718 Posts
Quote:
I likely over reacted to Gallopin's remarks. Bashing was a bit strong. I read a lot of similar remarks concerning these engines and it pains me to think that others may avoid a fine 1/2A engine based on similar comments. The Surestart certainly has it's limitations but for the price is a heck of a nice engine.
Yes, I was wondering what was going on there. My comments were regarding the quality control issues at Estes when they purchased the Cox engine division. Not fully understanding the engine industry they got parts mixed, didn't do as good of fit match, etc. I have several Sure Starts. They are not bad engines. My statement regarding "Babe Bees" was regarding Cox reed valve sport engines in general. And, there were more that just the original 1950's Babe Bee.

I really like flying Cox engines, I think they are jewels. It is just that where I live and at the higher elevation that I am at, I don't get to fly them much as at this 4,300 feet elevation in the High Plains of NM bordering Texas Panhandle, we often have windy weather. With the loss of power from elevation and the winds, often over 15 mph and more like 20 with gusts on top of that, I've had to side line these along with flying single channel.

The smallest I fly is my repaired venerable 2 channel Airtronics Q-Tee, but I am using a Norvel .061 Big Mig CL/FF engine in it. I have flown my son's Ace R/C Grasshopper, but again with the Norvel .061 on a tank mount. The Black Widow struggles in the winds. Those who fly 1/2-A CL are using at least a Medallion or Tee Dee .049.

I'd love to live in a place where you have the calm mornings or evenings, like in North Little Rock. The R/C Bee has a Sure Start like P/L, and it was plenty of power for my Sterling Minnie Mambo. I flew in on Ace Pulse R/O with Adams Stomper Actuator and KRD sequential quick blip throttle.

I drilled a hole closer to the KRD hub after carefully calculating and measuring. Servo HI setting pushed exhaust throttle sleeve all the way forward, opening about 1/4th to 1/3rd to give half throttle. MED was mid point (throttle sleeve width opening was slightly narrower than the exhaust port), giving full throttle. LO pulled it all the way back to barely cracked open, giving IDLE. So, I had it the opposite of HI-MED-LO giving me LO-MED-HI, but it worked fine. Minnie was a blast to fly. I put in so many flights I wore out the P/L.

Back in the early 1980's, I had a blast flying half-A there and at Little Rock AFB. I'd love to one of these days attend SMALL. Perhaps when we move out of the area closer, I might get my chance.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:14 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
177 Posts
Galloping:

Sorry to sound a bit "over the top". Got my feathers ruffled talking about the Surestart.

I too enjoy all things Cox, and today I was out flying single channel with a scratch built Ken Willard Top Dawg powered by a Cox TD. Loops, rolls and deadstick landings on the school parking lot were awesome!

I wanted to take the plane to SMALL but didn't quite finish it in time.

I eventually intend to fly this plane with an Ace Pulse proportional radio that has been fully restored and tuned by Jaymen (RCG member that does such things). The plane is set up to accept a standard RC servo and radio for testing, and then switched over to the Adams actuator for use with the Ace radio.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
209 Posts
049, who is it that does work on Ace galloping ghost gear? I have a complete setup but don't use it anymore. Does it use just the actuator or do the Tx and Rx still get used? We've converted a Dicks Dream to servos but I'd love to use the old Ace again. I got many hours of fun burning not much fuel as a kid with it.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:32 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
177 Posts
308Jockey-

Here is probably more info than you are looking for:

I have 2 single channel systems. The first is an old Controlaire Mule push button transmitter coverted to 2.4 ghz. This system uses an encoder available from here: http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/ The encoder is connected to the DIY 2.4 transmitter module from Frsky all mounted in the Mule case and utilizing the original pushbutton for control. This system allows use of a Frsky 2.4 receiver with a standard servo to simulate just about any of the old single channel schemes such as compund escapements.

The second system is a completely original Ace Pulse proportional radio system that has been updated with new capacitors and other parts too old to insure reliable operation, and then tuned to work better than new.

Both jobs were completed by Jay Mendoza in California. He is known as Jaymen on the RCUniverse website and I believe he hangs out here under the same handle. He does top quality work on most old radios and is very reasonable. He also takes trades if you have some excess vintage radio gear.

I will try to find his phone number or email address and will PM you if I can find them. Otherwise he is easy to find on the vintage RC radio forums.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,907 Posts
One "really' could buy a 2.4 ghz 2.5 gram Rx and a single 1.7 gram servo and Have a 'fine' single channel setup.
But.. thern WHY? add modernity, reliability and seriously reduced weights to a Geriatric contraption?
No bragging rights in that. is there
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:22 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
177 Posts
We all get to enjoy the hobby in our own way. I happen to like 1/2A engines in both RC and control line models, as well as single channel flying with new equipment and vintage equipment. I have a few "Giant Scale" planes which to me means .25 to .40 size glow with modern Frsky radio gear.

I am not the bragging type so I gain no pleasure in that part of the hobby.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,828 Posts
I hear a lot of the "bigger is better" stuff too, but still like the .049s. I am kind of going to the .25 and .40 size mostly for windy days, but find the .049s that go faster are pretty good in the wind now. The .25s seem to idle better, and yes I have heard of electrics too, but still like the .049 screaming. Hath not the .049 wings? Is a humming bird less of a bird than a hawk? Does the .049 not demand your attention at 90 mph? I could go on, and maybe will later.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,340 Posts
Quote:
We all get to enjoy the hobby in our own way. I happen to like 1/2A engines in both RC and control line models, as well as single channel flying with new equipment and vintage equipment. I have a few "Giant Scale" planes which to me means .25 to .40 size glow with modern Frsky radio gear.

I am not the bragging type so I gain no pleasure in that part of the hobby.
+1, there ain't no accountin' for taste.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,711 Posts
This is why it is a hobby. So people can do what is interesting to them, not what other people want them to do.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
This is why it is a hobby. So people can do what is interesting to them, not what other people want them to do.
Agree, I am most relaxed when I fly what I want to fly, build what I want to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I hear a lot of the "bigger is better" stuff too, but still like the .049s. I am kind of going to the .25 and .40 size mostly for windy days, but find the .049s that go faster are pretty good in the wind now. The .25s seem to idle better, and yes I have heard of electrics too, but still like the .049 screaming. Hath not the .049 wings? Is a humming bird less of a bird than a hawk? Does the .049 not demand your attention at 90 mph? I could go on, and maybe will later.
Same here. I don't mind if the .049 sized plane scoots a little quicker, and ditto on the .25 - .60 sized planes.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr