HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Dec 2002
279 Posts
Only seem to be able to attach one image......persevering.....
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Dec 2002
279 Posts
Pic 2

Pic number 2
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
Joined Dec 2002
279 Posts
Pic number 3
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
Joined Dec 2002
279 Posts
Number 4
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
ok i have one of the epp versions of this plane (in the post) and i have read all 158 pages so far i like what i have seen and read.
i have read a lot about the thin wing tips and possible solution's, i am considering running a hard balsa/basswood drag spar full lenght of TE right out to the tip, this will be sanded down towards the tip to maintain the foil shape then depending on how much flex is left i might add some bamboo skewers.
once that is done full covering of lam film. i have been following the M60 build thread and like the way they sort out the epp wings for the M60, their use of drag spars, the use of PU glue to help stiffen up the tips (i understand the diff between molded epp and cnc cut epp surfaces), i also like the use of the thinned goop they use to cover the fuse and or wingtips as well, can i use thinned shoe goo instead?
has anyone considered using some of these methods?
what where there findings/considerations if they did?
do you think that i could use any of those building tips to help with my FOX build?

i have seen a few posts about full length balsa control surfaces but i have a question.....
how close to the fuse do you start them from? i.e. what have been the overall length of ailerons?
also if using full length ailerons i will be able to have some adjustable camber to the wing and will this help with the tip stall problem?

i will be setting the horizontal stab back to zero incidence as i have seen (knowing that this helps with the tips stall issue), but was wondering about this camber adjustment if you have full length surfaces.

@ ming did you ever change the main spar location to near the cg in the tooling process?

last thing why has know one considered using a 4 wing servo set up?

last thing i promise, thinking of going with HS45HB or HS-5045HB Digital Micro Servo, which would be better?

many thanks RCT
rcta15 is offline Find More Posts by rcta15
Last edited by rcta15; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: servo question
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,497 Posts
Quote:
ming did you ever change the main spar location to near the cg in the tooling process?
Please see the spar(carbon) and wing join(carbon) desige on Fox.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Please see the spar(carbon) and wing join(carbon) desige on Fox.

Ming Lou
ok so by the looks of it a spar change has been made? i just hope the kit i am getting is new enough to have these changes put in place?
am getting mine from robotbirds in the uk, so will need to wait and see.
thanks ming
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:09 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
My LHS was out of the correct size balsa stock (1 1/4") so my build has been on hold. They finally got more in but now I need to pick up another CF ribbon (5mm x 1mm) for the drag spar as I only had one (should have checked huh?).

Other than the balsa ailerons and CF ribbon drag spar I do not plan to further modify the wing beyond using 5mil LF to cover it. I've noted a number of mods to strengthen the fuse but the only place my previous fox ever had issues was the thin area just in front of the wing. I will add some spars or maybe bamboo skewers to reinforce that area and finish the fuse with 5mil LF as well. I will also reset the elevator incidence to 0.

Regarding a 4 servo wing build I'm not sure what the real benefits would be for this model. If you are considering them for slowing down to land, remember this is durable EPP and landing a little on the hot side really isn't a problem. I'd prefer to keep the "built in ballast" to a minimum.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
Bunny Hill Flier
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,280 Posts
To Jonathon you should listen...

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
My LHS was out of the correct size balsa stock (1 1/4") so my build has been on hold. They finally got more in but now I need to pick up another CF ribbon (5mm x 1mm) for the drag spar as I only had one (should have checked huh?).

Other than the balsa ailerons and CF ribbon drag spar I do not plan to further modify the wing beyond using 5mil LF to cover it. I've noted a number of mods to strengthen the fuse but the only place my previous fox ever had issues was the thin area just in front of the wing. I will add some spars or maybe bamboo skewers to reinforce that area and finish the fuse with 5mil LF as well. I will also reset the elevator incidence to 0.

Regarding a 4 servo wing build I'm not sure what the real benefits would be for this model. If you are considering them for slowing down to land, remember this is durable EPP and landing a little on the hot side really isn't a problem. I'd prefer to keep the "built in ballast" to a minimum.

-Jonathan
many thanks great info for me to digest.
RCT
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
To Jonathon you should listen...

Rubio
Rubio, not sure what you are referring to man. If you are referring to LF d-boxing being being enough to stiffen the wing, you might be forgetting that my previous EPP Fox had 5mil LF covered wings and still had flex (need video?). Granted the LF probably reuduced the amount of flex considerably compared to a naked build but still, I'm looking for STIFF not stiff.

If you are referring to listening to something else I must of missed it so please fill me in again.

-Jonathan
who's local slope isn't renowned for light lift... so don't knock it till you try it
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
Bunny Hill Flier
Joined May 2011
6,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post

-Jonathan

Rubio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:52 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
Rubio
Rubio, in your own words can you please explain what you are trying to say? I'm not getting the Yoda speak.

TIA

-Jonathan
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:59 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcta15 View Post
ok i have one of the epp versions of this plane (in the post) and i have read all 158 pages so far i like what i have seen and read.
i have read a lot about the thin wing tips and possible solution's, i am considering running a hard balsa/basswood drag spar full lenght of TE right out to the tip, this will be sanded down towards the tip to maintain the foil shape then depending on how much flex is left i might add some bamboo skewers.
once that is done full covering of lam film. i have been following the M60 build thread and like the way they sort out the epp wings for the M60, their use of drag spars, the use of PU glue to help stiffen up the tips (i understand the diff between molded epp and cnc cut epp surfaces), i also like the use of the thinned goop they use to cover the fuse and or wingtips as well, can i use thinned shoe goo instead?
has anyone considered using some of these methods?
what where there findings/considerations if they did?
do you think that i could use any of those building tips to help with my FOX build?

i have seen a few posts about full length balsa control surfaces but i have a question.....
how close to the fuse do you start them from? i.e. what have been the overall length of ailerons?
also if using full length ailerons i will be able to have some adjustable camber to the wing and will this help with the tip stall problem?

i will be setting the horizontal stab back to zero incidence as i have seen (knowing that this helps with the tips stall issue), but was wondering about this camber adjustment if you have full length surfaces.

@ ming did you ever change the main spar location to near the cg in the tooling process?

last thing why has know one considered using a 4 wing servo set up?

last thing i promise, thinking of going with HS45HB or HS-5045HB Digital Micro Servo, which would be better?

many thanks RCT
My personal opinion is that your'e going WAAAY overboard on the mods. An M60 is a very different beast, what is done to them is OTT on a Fox IMO.

I agree that a 4 servo wing is a waste of time, energy, $$ and weight. Keep the plane light, and it lands with spoilerons like a butterfly. And I'm saying this as someone who hates bigger planes without flaps..

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
Bunny Hill Flier
Joined May 2011
6,280 Posts
For the record they were not my words.
I was simply agreeing with yours. Those were the words I agreed with.
Chris put it quite well too.

Rubio