HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Question
Fuselage Build

I recently got into cutting my own foam wings but can't seem to figure out how to make a foam fuselage. I know some individuals are using balsa and then covering it with film but I would like a relatively easy method of building my fuselage from foam. I intend on making scale planes (foam) and am wondering if there is a easy to do this?
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:10 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,896 Posts
What plane ? What size ? Many early planes are slab-sided so easy to build using foam sheet and formers as with balsa. More complex shapes e.g. WWII warplanes or jets need rather different techniques.

Most possible techniques are covered in the Foamies(Scratchbuilt) forum.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:51 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,457 Posts
Have a look at this technique using Depron foam, but it should be suitable for other types.

The basics is a box, which then comes in handy for mounting the Rx, servos, battery etc. The box then gets the curved formers for mounting the outer skin.

The box also give a good stable form for mounting all the other bit on, no trying to mount full formers to stringers in mid air.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,457 Posts
The same technique was used on a 72" span Spitfire.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:12 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,373 Posts
If you are looking for other foam techniques, best bet is Sparky's book.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=644

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,174 Posts
I agree with Charlie. Sparky and a fella named John Morgan have foam modelling down to a science. Absolutely beautiful builds and they go together pretty quickly as well.

Bosley
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What plane ? What size ? Many early planes are slab-sided so easy to build using foam sheet and formers as with balsa. More complex shapes e.g. WWII warplanes or jets need rather different techniques.

Most possible techniques are covered in the Foamies(Scratchbuilt) forum.

Steve
I'm looking at the 40" to 70" range for planes like the Stinson, Icon A5, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Have a look at this technique using Depron foam, but it should be suitable for other types.

The basics is a box, which then comes in handy for mounting the Rx, servos, battery etc. The box then gets the curved formers for mounting the outer skin.

The box also give a good stable form for mounting all the other bit on, no trying to mount full formers to stringers in mid air.
Quote:
The same technique was used on a 72" span Spitfire.
Those look awesome. I'm assuming those ribs are generally included in the plans?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
If you are looking for other foam techniques, best bet is Sparky's book.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=644

charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosley View Post
I agree with Charlie. Sparky and a fella named John Morgan have foam modelling down to a science. Absolutely beautiful builds and they go together pretty quickly as well.

Bosley
Thanks a bunch guys.... it looks like a good buy. Making the purchase now
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:15 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,008 Posts
eflightray showed you some excellent examples.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:58 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
eflightray showed you some excellent examples.

Tom
Agreed. Thank you
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
Those look awesome. I'm assuming those ribs are generally included in the plans?
For the Dauntless there were no plans, other than what I sketched out on a roll of paper, she's totally scratch built.

The Spitfire was based on a Tony Nijhuis plan for a balsa model, so I used the former, (rib), outlines to help, but the internals are again scratch built.

My build principle is, holes don't weigh much.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
For the Dauntless there were no plans, other than what I sketched out on a roll of paper, she's totally scratch built.

The Spitfire was based on a Tony Nijhuis plan for a balsa model, so I used the former, (rib), outlines to help, but the internals are again scratch built.

My build principle is, holes don't weigh much.
haha... well said! As for me, I've gone ahead and purchased the book provided in the link above. I'm sure it will help. I am trying to avoid the whole "rib" route to be honest because it is a little more tedious than I'd like. (I know, I know... scale requires time and patience). But, I'm considering the method shown in step 1 here. From there, I think I'll just sand it down to shape. Probably will be a little easier.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:00 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,457 Posts
If you're going the solid foam route, a solder gun is ideal for cutting pieces out of the inside, and for cutting servo pockets.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=4
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
Here's another method using heat formed foam. Foam is covered with packing tape and wrapped around a solid form and then baked for 10-15 min. at 100C. The result is a very light formed foam fuse half. The nice thing is they are very rigid once glued together and need minimal internal structure. I've covered them with fiberglass, paper, or Styrospray. Once you have the mold you can make several copies. The largest to date is the fuselage for my DH-91. I had to make that in two sections.

DH-91 Albatrosss
F7F Tigercat
He-219 UHU
Beechcraft D-18
Do-335 Arrow
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503