HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
What happens if you drive it around closer to shore at half throttle for more than a minute?
I have not done that yet. But after taking the boat out, I on the spot did a range test on dry ground. It failed just as on water. When coming closer, it workes, further that say 45 meters, nothing workes. The range is the problem.

I did run it on partial throttle in a bathtubb to stress test it and to monitor motor and esc temperatures. It barely got warmer than room temperature in 5 minutes of testing. Even the esc was so cool still. Therefore I thought heat can never be the problem.
SARCFAN is offline Find More Posts by SARCFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Sounds like a radio problem.
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:14 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
So you've lost about 250m in range since the first test?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=1
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
So you've lost about 250m in range since the first test?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=1
Its strange to me too. That is the reason for this thread. But the conditions were far different. For starters I used a brushed esc that I never had any reason to distrust, not the brushless esc that might be part of the problem. Secondly, it was over dirt. I've read that even though water might not absorb the 2.4 signal, it does causes extra reflections that does reduce range somewhat as well. That is what I've read anyway.
Thirdly, it was with the original GTX3R receiver that came with the TX. I do realize that it is perhaps the same RX as the HK-GT2R receiver that is in the boat now, perhaps just badged differently, but still.
Fourthly, the test was not done with the 27 mhz receiver and wiring in close proximity to the 2.4 receiver, and no motors that could even remotely cause interference. So to be fair, the conditions under which I did the 300 meter test was far different. I can't even think the receiver and esc was in a boat at the time. If I recall correctly everything was placed in the open on a tree that has fallen over. The antenna was just fixed in an upright position. I don't have a spare brushed esc for my truck who has donated the esc and Futaba receiver to this bait boat. I would have liked to range test the TX in my truck. But even if it still goes to only 50 meters in my truck, it would be fine with me as a stalled truck is not nearly as bad as a stalled boat in strong winds.

I hope this clarifies things up a bit Point is, the range is pathetic. When stalled with the 2.4 system, my ancient 27 mhz radio still has perfect connectability and brings the boat back to shore without a hickup. I have not tested the boat with another receiver so a faulty receiver is not out of the question.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:24 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
The type of ESC/motor shouldn't effect range like this, the frequencies needed to get interference on a 2.4ghz system are much higher than a 27mhz system.

I would test the current RX with the same test you originally did to rule out everything except the RX and see what happens.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,066 Posts
I will do it as soon as my truck is running again. I bought this TX especially for the bait boat, so dissappointed I really am.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:36 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
If it's a seeking esc they are know to have issues with LVC . Disable it and run it for two or three mins. if your motor does't shut down then you've found the problem .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,066 Posts
Does this happen with fully charged lipo's as well? I also thought whether it can't be the bec output on my esc that's possibly giving this problem?
It is a Seaking 35A esc
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
If it was the BEC you would lose steering too. If the LVC is acting funny it could absolutely trip too early, even with a fully charged pack.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,066 Posts
It's a pity I took out the brushless system allready. I should rather have waited for more ideas like this to help me.
But then, LVC, does this not just make your boat slower to still be able to bring her in? I did not know LVC completely cuts the power
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
Depends on the LVC and if it's a hard or soft cut.