HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
focke wulf fw-190 from flyzone retract problem

i know this topic has probably been beaten to the ground but i thought i would share my experiences in case others have had the same problem with no where to go but replace the main wings or even hack the retracts out to install servoless retracts. i have like many others had a retract problem with the flyzone fw190. my main brace even broke. so i decided to fix this once and for all. i made a main brace that is machined outta two pieces of billet aluminum. so far works great. also working on other parts made outta aluminum for the retracts to help beef them up. let me know if any one is interested in these i was thinking about making some more and putting them on here for sale.
old82cutlass is online now Find More Posts by old82cutlass
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old82cutlass View Post
i know this topic has probably been beaten to the ground but i thought i would share my experiences in case others have had the same problem with no where to go but replace the main wings or even hack the retracts out to install servoless retracts. i have like many others had a retract problem with the flyzone fw190. my main brace even broke. so i decided to fix this once and for all. i made a main brace that is machined outta two pieces of billet aluminum. so far works great. also working on other parts made outta aluminum for the retracts to help beef them up. let me know if any one is interested in these i was thinking about making some more and putting them on here for sale.
I've only had my FW for a couple weeks and haven't broken anything yet but I changed the wheel hub or shock coupler?? I'm not really sure what it's called but the plastic piece that holds the shock to the strut. Anyway I haven't seen a mod for this part yet but it's good to now there's one out there.
roonytoon is offline Find More Posts by roonytoon
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
i broke my other plastic one on a touch and go the other day. got a little greedy when i should have just landed it. any way made another one of the aluminum strut holder and works great. i think im just a little rough on my plane. im going to make more of the landing gear components outta aluminum today and ill post those as well.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:21 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
i broke my other plastic one on a touch and go the other day. got a little greedy when i should have just landed it. any way made another one of the aluminum strut holder and works great. i think im just a little rough on my plane. im going to make more of the landing gear components outta aluminum today and ill post those as well.
That's awesome that these parts are out there but I wish they had just made the parts better to begin with. Every time I land I'm expecting to break something but knock wood, I haven't.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
i was too at first but now mine are really strong. but i cant complain the plane is awesome over all for the price. i got mine 165 out the door in RxR type. yeah the servos are kinda junky but as long as they work im cool with it and like most planes they all have a weakness or some type of down fall that needs some upgrading, thats to be expected when your buying planes in this price range. i would like to try the durafly line of 1100mm planes they are around 180 to the house. and they have servoless retracts. anyone ever compared the two?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
281 Posts
Quote:
i was too at first but now mine are really strong. but i cant complain the plane is awesome over all for the price. i got mine 165 out the door in RxR type. yeah the servos are kinda junky but as long as they work im cool with it and like most planes they all have a weakness or some type of down fall that needs some upgrading, thats to be expected when your buying planes in this price range. i would like to try the durafly line of 1100mm planes they are around 180 to the house. and they have servoless retracts. anyone ever compared the two?
I bought this 190 hoping it was going to be a similar quality to durafly.while i love the way it fly's in my opinion the durafly range is much better in every respect.I have all the prop driven durafly warbirds and every one has much better quality foam,scale detail and electronics.some do need minor mods to retracts but nothing like the 190 needs to make them reliable.its just a shame durafly haven't released some mainstream axis warbirds as yet,but if you like this 190 im sure you would love any of the 1100mm durafly stuff.
mark
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
ill have to convince the wife to let me spend the 180 then thanks mark. anyone wanna help me start a charity. ha ha
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:57 AM
Joined Apr 2013
2 Posts
I am very interested in you mods, as I just broke a main brace today! 3 flights on my plane and I'm now grounded because I don't want to hack my wing open to install a new retract. Any chance you'd be willing to throw together a kit of all your gear mods and sell it to me? If you're interested please PM or e-mail me total cost with shipping and paypal info. Thanks!
quadracer200 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer200
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:26 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
732 Posts
I finally just gave up on mine retracked them and unplugged the servo. It's now just a hand tosser. It's a real shame to , it's the most scale like thing on the bird, but still a great flyer.
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:52 AM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
216 Posts
Yea, I would be interested, too. My 190 will probably go out for it's first flight today.

Hoping for the best!

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangloyd View Post
I finally just gave up on mine retracked them and unplugged the servo. It's now just a hand tosser. It's a real shame to , it's the most scale like thing on the bird, but still a great flyer.
i also liked the landing gear linkage look on this bird it just adds to the scale look very well, so that why i really didnt want to ugly it up with some servoless retracts. my links work pretty well and they add to the cool factor i think of it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:43 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
ive made one of the links for the landing gear linkage.
Nice job! If ever you make kits to sell please PM me. I'm tired of being afraid to land this plane.
Old May 08, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
ok i finally got a kit together, let me know what you all think. yeah i know i know i said parkzone.
parkzone focke wulf fw 190 landing gear mod (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by old82cutlass; May 08, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old May 08, 2013, 02:58 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
732 Posts
Old82cutlass,
Nice work!
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd