HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:12 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor View Post
Hello Ming,
I am a massive fan of the 747 and tried to market a 747-100 kit a few years ago it was also 2.2m long but built of balsa wood.(my blog is 747-100 2.2m in rc universe).
It is a large plane at 2.2m but it would be really fantastic if you could keep this kit in segments so we can modify into other variants and that way you can maybe fit into one box, having two boxes isnt very appealing for ordinary customers and probably not efficient for you and marketing.

This is a very special airliner to many people and being able to modify it would be a great advantage for sales also I think.
For me if having two boxes cuts down on shipping then that is very good...most of the dual box shipments will reach the customers.

The model should not cost 400usd and due to size the shipping is 450usd when the boxing can be broken down vs the plane.

I know for a package I'm shipping 2" = 120usd in shipping cost, cut the 2" off and it's down to 53usd shipping...the person could care less about spending 5mins gluing this part together.

I just received a 7' long shipment and a 2' long shipment, it cost me 54usd UPS because the weight of the longer box was kept down....

Ship two boxes if keep cost reasonable

regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:00 PM
goldcoast
Joined Jul 2009
4 Posts
To erh7771,
I understand what you are saying I was only coming from the point of view that "simplicity is closest to perfection" mainly during this early stage of development and promoting. Preferably it would be nicer if this product could be delivered all in one package. (1 box less to get lost and damaged also).

To Ming I think your work is excellent and of quality, thank you for building the legendary Boeing 747-400.

One quick question Ming;
scale display models look convincingly realistic and lifelike because of the finish and detail, is there any way you are able to provide the model with a high quality, glossy, factory finish and we add our livery on top? The look of foam skin is old fashioned I think and bringing this new product out with a shiny factory finish would be highly appealing.
compressor is offline Find More Posts by compressor
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
goldcoast
Joined Jul 2009
4 Posts
Is this thread still active?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:01 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor View Post

scale display models look convincingly realistic and lifelike because of the finish and detail, is there any way you are able to provide the model with a high quality, glossy, factory finish and we add our livery on top? The look of foam skin is old fashioned I think and bringing this new product out with a shiny factory finish would be highly appealing.
Of course, there is.....if one wants to add a few hundred $$$ to the cost of the kit!

There is a company which makes airliners of similar size which have the smooth shiny finish (no foam involved), but cost $2300--and up! Most of us do not have that kind of money to spend on an airframe.

Search the Wingrider 737 Thread, many of us have produced a smooth finish using a vinyl wrap or tissue/water-based polyutherane methods.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
goldcoast
Joined Jul 2009
4 Posts
I was just asking Ming specifically being an industrialist perhaps there might be a cost effective process he could develop to improve the quality of his products mainly for the slotted flaps that need to function with precision. He has the equipment and knowledge base so just maybe there could be a way or to even improvise.
One idea maybe is to place solarfilm into the plug first....
Old May 20, 2013, 09:42 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
862 Posts
So what's new on the 747? The Lurker wants to know...
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:19 PM View Post
8492ND
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while 8492ND edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
28 Posts
Hello Ming,

would you please be so kind and give us an update on the 747 project?

Greetings

Michael
michi3 is offline Find More Posts by michi3
Old Aug 04, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
28 Posts
Hello Ming,

are you still working on the 747 or even the Concorde?

Just planning my next project....

Greetings

Michael
michi3 is offline Find More Posts by michi3
Old Aug 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,497 Posts
Surely we have to do 747 but the tooling budget is huge, let Windrider make some more profit and fpv stuff first and get back to 747 project,

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:12 PM
Toulouse (Fr)
Joined Sep 2008
18 Posts
Meaning that Concorde project is "dead" ?
starefly is offline Find More Posts by starefly