HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:22 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbaerry View Post
I am trying to decide between the RCM Basic Trainer and the Randy Randolph's Dime.. Both are Short Kits from LazerWorks...
Go for the Dime! I just bought a Randy Randolph "3/4s" And will put either my os 10 or 15 on it. His designs are great fliers and the "Little Bit Different" than everyone else factor is there. Either is equally easy to build/repair, important for first planes! Oh I got my 3/4s at the LHS and it was a scratch build by someone else.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:19 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Suggestions

How about these suggestions.

Hep Cat
Mercury Matador
Mini Super

Hep Cat is available from

http://http://www.outerzone.co.uk/pl...ls.asp?ID=2188

I haven't seen plans for the Mini Super (an undersized Super 60) or the Mercury Matador on line but can help if required.

All three are high wing cabin planes and a wing span of approximately 4 feet. They can easily be converted to 3 channel and offer great fun for not a lot off outlay.
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:08 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
840 Posts
The RCM Basic Trainer would be a little easier build, I think, because of the sheet balsa fuse. It's a considerably heavier build, but you could lighten it up enough for it to fly well on a .10. I flew one once that was kind of a dog, but that's because it was very heavy. It doesn't have to be.

I taught myself to fly on an .049 trainer and then a .15 powered trainer. I wasn't "distracted" by starting engines because the engines worked great. I wasn't distracted by having to charge flight batteries either...just fuel it up, choke or prime, connect starting battery, flip and go, over and over as many times as I wanted. The whole training process was a delightful experience because the planes were so beautiful on the ground and in the air. They were light, and rarely suffered damage. When they did they were easy to fix.

I'm glad you liked the "Dime" recommendation, and I don't think the RCM would be bad either as long as you keep it light. Either one will be far more attractive than anything slapped together from foam board and give you real pleasure. To my thinking, the hobby is not a means to an end, it is an end in itself. Enjoy!

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
430 Posts
wow. a praire bird 50. that looks very nice.
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:17 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01 View Post
Go for the Dime! I just bought a Randy Randolph "3/4s" And will put either my os 10 or 15 on it. His designs are great fliers and the "Little Bit Different" than everyone else factor is there. Either is equally easy to build/repair, important for first planes! Oh I got my 3/4s at the LHS and it was a scratch build by someone else.
What is a 3/4s?
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
The RCM Basic Trainer would be a little easier build, I think, because of the sheet balsa fuse. It's a considerably heavier build, but you could lighten it up enough for it to fly well on a .10. I flew one once that was kind of a dog, but that's because it was very heavy. It doesn't have to be.

I taught myself to fly on an .049 trainer and then a .15 powered trainer. I wasn't "distracted" by starting engines because the engines worked great. I wasn't distracted by having to charge flight batteries either...just fuel it up, choke or prime, connect starting battery, flip and go, over and over as many times as I wanted. The whole training process was a delightful experience because the planes were so beautiful on the ground and in the air. They were light, and rarely suffered damage. When they did they were easy to fix.

I'm glad you liked the "Dime" recommendation, and I don't think the RCM would be bad either as long as you keep it light. Either one will be far more attractive than anything slapped together from foam board and give you real pleasure. To my thinking, the hobby is not a means to an end, it is an end in itself. Enjoy!

Jim
Hey Jim,
Love all your sugestions and thoughts. What .049 trainer did you learn on? I learned on a Midwest live wire champ with a os .20. Loved that plane.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2007
840 Posts
Champ

Hi, my first RC was a Top Flight Schoolmaster, 39 inch span, all balsa, with a muffled Cox 049. At that time there was a park I could fly in. Once the plane was up I would hand the Tx over to total strangers who came to watch. It was a great flyer and practically indestructible.

Later I scratch-built my own and brought the weight down from 20 oz to 16 oz. By that time I had also gone from rudder/throttle to adding elevator...a big improvement. I thermaled that plane once for 25 minutes.

Finally I joined a club and wanted to do touch and goes on the runway. So like you, I bought a Midwest Live Wire Champ. Isn't that a great airplane! Mine was powered with an OS 15 FP turning an 8 1/2x4 prop. A friend did rolling circles with it. It just looked so beautiful in the air I always loved going to the field with it. Then the club did a Stick 40 Plus winter building project, so that was my aileron plane. But there was really nothing to learning ailerons at that point. Also, the plane was so ugly that I took much less pleasure in flying it.

Tell me about your Champ! I never tire of reading or writing about that plane.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Oh do I have a story about my Champ. She was not my first plane. The first plane I built was a Goldberg Eaglet 50. My very kind club trainer was flying my Eaglet when a push rod broke and down came my plane. As a 15 year old I was devastated, but because my club had some great people, I stayed involved with the hobby even though I did not have a Plane. About six months later, I went to a club meeting and on the table was a beautiful red and yellow champ. The Trainer that had crashed my plane had built a replacement for me for Free. I flew that plan for 2 years and it never crashed.
Last edited by dmbaerry; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
840 Posts
Great story!... and a nice old photo.

Jim
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
Great story!... and a nice old photo.

Jim
Thanks, I miss the good old days when I had plenty of time for the hobby.. Wife and teenage children make it a bit tough for the hobby, but I am determined to get back involved.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
883 Posts
My daughter & I built a David Boddington Pronto together & flew it with an OS10.

The plan was in a book on aeromodelling. Built as a 3 channel model (no ailerons)
& lightened the structure as it was originally designed for a 35.

About as basic as possible, just a box with wings. The trike gear means you can
taxi it properly & take offs & landings are easier. It's super easy to fly. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
My daughter & I built a David Boddington Pronto together & flew it with an OS10.

The plan was in a book on aeromodelling. Built as a 3 channel model (no ailerons)
& lightened the structure as it was originally designed for a 35.

About as basic as possible, just a box with wings. The trike gear means you can
taxi it properly & take offs & landings are easier. It's super easy to fly. - John.
Is there a kit for it?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:43 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
883 Posts
No, as far as I know there was no kit.

There was not a full size plan, just a full size wing section drawing & some dimensions of the parts. A full size plan is available here:

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...rc1600--pronto

We did modify ours to make it lighter. I still have it in the garage. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
Broomfield, CO 80023
Joined Dec 2002
353 Posts
You might consider the House of Balsa Spacewalker. It's 4 channel and flys very well with an OS Max 10 FSR. Probably not a first plane, but certainly as a second or third.

John C
John_R_C is offline Find More Posts by John_R_C
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_R_C View Post
You might consider the House of Balsa Spacewalker. It's 4 channel and flys very well with an OS Max 10 FSR. Probably not a first plane, but certainly as a second or third.

John C
Thanks John...
I am going to build that as my 3rd plane I think.