HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
Crates

EJ,
Your crates look as outstanding as your model building.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Lurking in the background.

Wayne
evarnad is offline Find More Posts by evarnad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,857 Posts
I bought a Laser 80 for my 1/6 waco kit and holding it against the plans it sure looked like the cowl wouldn't fit right without redesigning the front end so I sold it. I do like the sound of a four stroke especially for a classic. Any ideas here? The saito FG-14 gasoline looks nice but it is longer overall than the laser.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Last edited by skypup; Sep 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:12 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,373 Posts
I put a Super Tigre .90 in my 1/6 WACO (with a PICA cowl) and it just fit. Don't think a 4 stroke would fit without cutting on the cowl.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
I put a Super Tigre .90 in my 1/6 WACO (with a PICA cowl) and it just fit. Don't think a 4 stroke would fit without cutting on the cowl.

charlie
Thanks

Think a 60 would fly it well? Is it overpowered with a 90?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:46 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,373 Posts
Well, first it was a Davis Diesel conversion. I picked the .90 cause it has the same case as the smaller versions.

And, yes, it was way overpowered I like the way older planes sound when run at lower RPM.

A .60 should do fine. The Hanger 9 Camel at 60" is designed for a .60

Check post 124
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=ymf&page=13

FYI, it is flown exclusively on electric now.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:59 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Well, first it was a Davis Diesel conversion. I picked the .90 cause it has the same case as the smaller versions.

And, yes, it was way overpowered I like the way older planes sound when run at lower RPM.

A .60 should do fine. The Hanger 9 Camel at 60" is designed for a .60

Check post 124
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=ymf&page=13

FYI, it is flown exclusively on electric now.
Great looking plane! I built one in the 70's and had it framed up but sold it due to work commitments.Always loved a Waco. Wanted to try again. Wondered about electric but wasn't sure about practicality with a scale design. I fly a lot of electric too. Mind if I ask about your set up? Been thinking about selling the kit and buying the Great Planes 120 arf.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:19 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Beauty!

Would you mind sharing the pics from post #124 and #129 here in this thread?

EJ
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,373 Posts
Here are some photos. I included a close up of the diesel install (upside down) and the electric motor inside the cowl. Sorry I can't find any of the diesel inside the cowl.

The plane is designed by Peter Rake. You can get one here
www.manzanolaser.com

The electric setup is a 4120 with 4s or 5s 5000mAh battery pack mounted vertically behind the firewall. Weight RTF is around 7lb. Wingspan is 60".

IMHO electric is so much better for scale that I have few IC planes. Pick size of prop you want and power you want, then pick motor and batteries. The only thing you don't get is the sound of an IC motor. And these days cost is about the same. Don't have to worry about cylinders sticking out, or mufflers, fuel proofing, etc.

But, if you already have IC engines then spending the money for batteries, charger, motor and speed control can be hard to swallow.

charlie
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:29 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,857 Posts
The plane is designed by Peter Rake. You can get one here
www.manzanolaser.com

The electric setup is a 4120 with 4s or 5s 5000mAh battery pack mounted vertically behind the firewall. Weight RTF is around 7lb. Wingspan is 60".

IMHO electric is so much better for scale that I have few IC planes. Pick size of prop you want and power you want, then pick motor and batteries. The only thing you don't get is the sound of an IC motor. And these days cost is about the same. Don't have to worry about cylinders sticking out, or mufflers, fuel proofing, etc.

Charlie

Thanks for all the great info. What kind of flight times do you get on on the electric set up and how difficult is battery access? Do wings need to be removed each time to change batteries? Thanks.

BTW....who makes an engine sound module?

Bob
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:51 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,373 Posts
The hatch for the battery is underneath. Invert the plane, lift off the hatch (it is held on with magnets) and put in the battery. You can see the hatch in the picture of the diesel. Right behind the firewall. Battery is held in with a velcro "belt".

If you choose you could put the hatch on top instead.

I get about 10 min when just cruising around. For strong aerobatics or other power hungry stuff it is reduced to about 7min.

I haven't removed the wings for several years now. Only takes a few minutes if I need to. Top and bottom wings are both one piece. Four screws at the cabane, four screws at the bottom strut mounts. Aileron joiners are clevises. Rigging is fixed by the cabane and strut screws.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 10:01 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Quote:

charlie
I put a Saito 100 in mine and it pretty much fits in the scale cowl. See post 206. Once I get around to painting the interior of the cowl area black I think the fake cylinders pretty much conceal the 4 stroke. Only the valve covers stick out of the cowl. The exhaust is on the bottom and not noticeable. A Saito 82 would be even less obtrusive, but I wanted the extra weight and power.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
1/5 Scale Waco YMF Center of Gravity

I have been building a 1/5 scale Pica Waco for the past several winters. About to finish it now, but have somehow lost the fuse plans. Don't know where the CG is located. Anyone out there who has that information would be appreciated
cdlordjr is offline Find More Posts by cdlordjr
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlordjr View Post
i have been building a 1/5 scale pica waco for the past several winters. About to finish it now, but have somehow lost the fuse plans. Don't know where the cg is located. Anyone out there who has that information would be appreciated
Pica_5_Waco_p1
evarnad is offline Find More Posts by evarnad
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:44 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,271 Posts
The balance point is located centered vertically on the top wing and 5-3/8" aft of that wing's leading edge.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo