HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
That video certainly motivates. Nothing worse than working when all you want to do is glue sticks together.
Deuce5150 is offline Find More Posts by Deuce5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Nov 2010
692 Posts
I hear that, especialy this week.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
I would vote for the OS 46AX (or AXII now as the AX is discontinued). Not cheap, but lots of power and the world famous OS carb makes starting/tuning a piece of cake.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:19 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,750 Posts
Completely wrong engine for that plane. Why? Expensive and powerful.... neither is needed for a Kadet. It's not a popularity contest....
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Nov 2010
692 Posts
Like I said, a Magnum 52 or 61 will treat you right and they are perfect for the plane.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
872 Posts
If your not looking to save a few bucks then the OS 46 would be a great engine. I have one in my trainer and it's easy to tune, runs great and it could easily be moved into a second plane or left in the trainer for years and years.
I still pull out my trainer and use it to get others in the air. It is so easy to tune that I fudge the needles and let the trainee try to tune it and they get a chance to practice tuning a glow engine, training isn't all in the thumbs.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
A thundertiger pro 46 is the best 40 size engine out there for the money. If your going larger the perhaps an OS AX 55 or 61.
The pro 46 will pull the kadet around fine and last years to come. It is also alot less sensitive to tuning and weather changes. It's alot more dependable than that magnum.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
692 Posts
Maybe, if you like slimy planes from a two stroke. I've got 6 magnums from 52's to a 91, all with heavy use and lots of time. Hmmm, I guess I better trade them in for a cheap two stroke so I can better usage huh?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
872 Posts
Come on nut!!! Do a search on magnum engines, they are not going to win any reliability awards. Heavy use is right cause they are heavy. I'll take my Saito's for 4 stroke any day.

For a beginner you can't go wrong with a simple light weight 2 stroke. The two I would recommend is the OS 46 and the TT Pro 46.

Again any engine can give you issues but with either of the above 2 your chances are the lowest.

I'll give Magnum one thing though, they are cheap!!!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
298 Posts
Ease of 2 stroke! Four stokes can be a pain to set up. Most persons around can also help you tune the 2 stroke, but not everyone has 4 stroke know how. +1 TT Pro 46!
hutchinstuff is online now Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Being ringed, an Aviastar .46 will take some running to get to its happy place. Its not like an ABC where you can run it a bit and flog it 20 minutes later. My ringed ST's took over 2hr before their performance started to stabilize.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:21 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
872 Posts
My understanding is the Aviastar .46 is ABC and the ringed Aviastar engines don't start till 1.2 and up.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
195 Posts
I have nothing but 4 strokes, two Magnums and an OS. My Magnums will start with one backflip of the prop, but the OS needs a starter every time.

Get a Magnum 52 and be done with it. They are good running smooth engines, easy to break in, and the instructions for break in are dead on. 45 minutes of ground run in and you are good to go. They are not hard to tune as some may suggest.

I fly my Kadet LT40 on one with an APC11x7 prop, and the plane flies great.

The first run of the motor is 10 minutes, while you are waiting for the 10 minute cool down cycle after that, just run an allen wrench on all the bolts to make sure they are tight, and continue on with the break in. I broke mine in on three 8 ounce tanks of fuel.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,619 Posts
Based on experience with the Sr. and various engines, the LA .46 will be a good match since it's a lighter weight engine. I'd take the TT .46 Pro over the OS .46AX - my TT .46 pros will flip start on the first or second attempt where as every AX I've had was a real bear to flip start. Power wise, the AX has a slight edge on the TT, but ease of starting goes to the TT.

For a 4-stroke, the Magnum .52 RFS will be plenty of power and is arguably the best value for the money in 4-strokes. Broken in properly, they run great, throttle great, and will last a long time. IMO, this engine is probably the best match for the Senior and the engine I will start using on most of my planes I use for flight instruction.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
I'm in the market for a Magnum 52. I think that will be my best bet. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal. I can't thank you all enough for the good advice.
Deuce5150 is offline Find More Posts by Deuce5150