HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Help!
1/8th scale hydro questions

Hello, My name is Jason and I am new to this website and to the r/c boat hobby. My wife stated I needed to get a hobby and I have wanted to do this for years. Little did she know it will cost a lot more than she thinks.... With that said, I am building a Dumas Miss Circus Circus. I have read old threads on here for the last two weeks trying to find my answers, and there are many knowledgeable members on here. But, I could not find the needed answers. So I apologize for my ignorance on the hobby and for any redundant questions.

I have read that the Dumas materials are crap and have ordered some aircraft grade ply from some members recommended sites. I hope all supplies will be delivered within the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, I need know some suggestions for my questions.

1) What size engine can this boat take? I have done some research and it looks like the MAC's are a good way to go.
2) What is a good servo box?
3) What is a good servo and remote brand?
4) How do you know which way the prop spins before you get the engine? And does it matter which way it spins?
5) Is it a good idea to fiberglass and seal every part of the boat during construction?
6) When is a good time to cut the lightening holes in the framing? After the bottom sheeting is on?

Thanks a lot for any input that can be given. I am sure I will have tons of questions during the build. I hope to get started in a couple of weeks and will start a thread or blog to show my progress.
Have a good one,
Jason
faceplantjae is offline Find More Posts by faceplantjae
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:42 AM
Luke propwalker
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
...side note:
Have you considered running her electric? It will give you more choices to run as many locations frown on noisy gas / nitro engines.
Diegoboy is offline Find More Posts by Diegoboy
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Hello. I did think about electric. But from what I saw, the battery life didn't last that long. That is why I decided to go nitro.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
1) What size engine can this boat take? I have done some research and it looks like the MAC's are a good way to go. This original plan called for a .67 nitro racing motor. With the new brushless motors and LiPo batteries, you can probably go electric, but I'm not the one to give advice on that.
2) What is a good servo box?
3) What is a good servo and remote brand?
4) How do you know which way the prop spins before you get the engine? And does it matter which way it spins?
5) Is it a good idea to fiberglass and seal every part of the boat during construction? When I built my hydro, I mixed up a big batch of expoy, and thinned it with alcohol so it would brush easily. I gave the entire inside of the boat a good coat before I put the decking in place. Don't forget to do the inside of the decking before you close it up.
6) When is a good time to cut the lightening holes in the framing? After the bottom sheeting is on?You'll probably have better control in cutting the holes before you begin assembling the framework. Are these called out in the instructions? Be careful you don't eliminate airspace in the hull which serves as flotation if you flip the boat.
jrobinsonusaf is offline Find More Posts by jrobinsonusaf
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Thanks Robinson. I did not think about the airspace in that matter. And I heard about mixing isopropylalcohol with the epoxy, and will probably end up doing that..
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,387 Posts
Rum Runner Racing

If you haven't found this forum yet, you should check out this group. They have scale hydro builds in multiple scales and links to lots of suppliers.

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Thanks Pete. I will check them out when I get home.