HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:24 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
693 Posts
kcobello,

Thank you for your information.
I have been doing AP for several years off and on mainly off. I did it from my 1946 J3 Piper Cub with my son, one flying and one taking Pics. We used a Cannon slr with the 70-400 L Glass lens. The problem is you really can't get close enough to the subject in a plane.
Had been flying FPV for many years so switching to a multi was the thing to do.

You really need to get over the water to get a proper shot of a waterfront home I do believe.
I probably should have gone with an octo when over the water but the Tarot will have to do.

The Discovery Pro lost an ESC I believe. Was stationary 100' off the shore taking shots of a home and then the next thing I saw in the goggles was sky and then a faint splash...oh that sound how demoralizing it was.
Thought it over for a day and bought a Phantom2 and now upgraded to a P2 with the 3 axis gimbal. Very impressed. Ordered a new lens, no fisheye, for the GoPro3+ and hopefully it will work for decent shots with a little PS CS6 help till the Tarot gets completed.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:16 PM
Wilson NY
Joined Mar 2013
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
kcobello,

Thank you for your information.
I have been doing AP for several years off and on mainly off. I did it from my 1946 J3 Piper Cub with my son, one flying and one taking Pics. We used a Cannon slr with the 70-400 L Glass lens. The problem is you really can't get close enough to the subject in a plane.
Had been flying FPV for many years so switching to a multi was the thing to do.

You really need to get over the water to get a proper shot of a waterfront home I do believe.
I probably should have gone with an octo when over the water but the Tarot will have to do.

The Discovery Pro lost an ESC I believe. Was stationary 100' off the shore taking shots of a home and then the next thing I saw in the goggles was sky and then a faint splash...oh that sound how demoralizing it was.
Thought it over for a day and bought a Phantom2 and now upgraded to a P2 with the 3 axis gimbal. Very impressed. Ordered a new lens, no fisheye, for the GoPro3+ and hopefully it will work for decent shots with a little PS CS6 help till the Tarot gets completed.

Tom

Hey Tom
Sounds like I can learn from you. The only one we have done so far is Driftwood B & B in the Finger Lakes. I dread that day we swim and I hope it never comes that's why those water shots are something we will charge more or prepare more for, (raft and diving gear.. )
kcobello is online now Find More Posts by kcobello
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:37 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
693 Posts
Those shots look nice. I think if perhaps you were a little lower it might have a nicer effect but it increases the pucker factor. The thing you have going is its fresh water. The big advantage is that you can get just the right angle with a multi.

Tom
Old Apr 19, 2014, 03:04 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,085 Posts
A lot lower i would say and compensate the height with some more distance of your subject to include the water in the shots
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:38 AM
Wilson NY
Joined Mar 2013
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panos2408 View Post
A lot lower i would say and compensate the height with some more distance of your subject to include the water in the shots
I hear ya. These are 2 of many. This is what they wanted. Trust me, They were very particular on the sky (clouds), making there property photo ready,. We had to stop back twice because the sky wasn't what they wanted..
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:46 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
693 Posts
I know this has been probably asked before but If I may.

I have a NEX 5n and have noticed most of the pictures have too much contrast and a bit on the overerexposed side also.

If this normal fro this camera?

Tom
Last edited by tom3holer; Apr 19, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:58 AM
Wilson NY
Joined Mar 2013
700 Posts
Tom

I don't have that issue. Do you know your camera? Can always shoot manual or change your metering (matrix to spot), at least this might help your underexposure.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:09 AM
Wilson NY
Joined Mar 2013
700 Posts
Anyone try this upgrade to a GoPro yet? C-Mount Lens adapter.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...ro-mod/#!EUYCh
Old Apr 19, 2014, 03:04 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,683 Posts
On their site it says its available for Pre-order.

Its about $250, add that to the cost of the GoPro and you might as well get an NEX. It will be interesting to get peoples impression when this becomes available.
Av8Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:55 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
693 Posts
Kcobello.

I have read the manual and played with it for a bit but have not really delved into it much. I have taken a bunch of pics and used auto and it always seems to have way too much contrast and somewhat overexposed. I mistyped it earlier and said under and ment over.
It will be used on my Tarot 810 if I ever get it finished.

Tom

Tom
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:06 PM
Wilson NY
Joined Mar 2013
700 Posts
Ok, did you make sure you don't have it on spot metering? Try using "A" priority, auto focus, matrix meter, and f-7. I am not trying to be a know it all but I find this works. "A" priority will get you a good depth and your shooting nothing moving so let the camera decide the Shutter. I shoot a couple of different ways. Some don't like auto focus because of the lag, we shoot objects, scenery from 20' away to a depth of 1000' +/-. Our shots are good and I stand by my knowledge....

On the contrast. I don't recall if the NEX series I setup like our Nikon D3 or 7100, but check to make sure your not shooting in vived (sp?). Standard is better. You can tweak the contrast in software. Check lens filters for your cam also. We shoot with a polarizer on the bright overhead sun days. Smooths out your shots and nothing is blown out.
Last edited by kcobello; Apr 19, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:25 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
673 Posts
I have the 16mm f2.8 prime lens, can someone help how to set it to manual infinite focus? Or may be infinite DOF would be better choice.
GoProAirRecon is offline Find More Posts by GoProAirRecon