HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2011, 09:06 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,866 Posts
I like it... If I can work around the vert a Z-bend will work. I will check.
Luckily I rarely take the stab or wing off unless travelling to out-of-state contests.
John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 10:33 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
wow, lucky you John. It is just habit for me, but I always make sure there is no movement of my stab on the pylon, and that any side forces (launch, bump whatever) will not cause the pushrod from coming out of the control horn. Best keeper I have used is a piece of shrink tube shrunk to the end of the rod. After it is shrunked, it can be removed and replaced a couple times too without the need for a new one, but keeping matches and extra tubing is easy enough...

...And you won the round.....Nice!!!

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old May 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
I like it... If I can work around the vert a Z-bend will work. I will check.
Luckily I rarely take the stab or wing off unless travelling to out-of-state contests.
John
John, if you try to Z-bend you'll likely break the spring steel wire at the existing 90 bent. The result would be a major surgery to re-install a replacement.

However, a careful analysis of your problem depicts that the position pin was not just "a tiny bit loose" but a a serious breakage must have occured, where the position pin has moved at least 1.39mm to allow the disconnection, where the hor.stab has been rotated arount the mounting hole about 4.75.
How such a rotation looks like is shown in attached pictures.

For over 60 flying members of the Concept family a disconnection never has happened and probably never will for the next 60 members, supposed the hor stab connection is not badly damaged, where any attempt to fly under this condition could easily create such a nice "black smoke" as in your picture

For sure any safety measure like Mike's little shrink tube stop will prevent things from happening in the heat of contet battle like more or less painfull cllissions and other unforseeable and sometimes unnoticed damage during ground- or object contact....... But nothing better than a pre flight check, like it is the custom aviation routine

A good repair of the position pin for sure will fix the problem.
Good luck....... and no black smoke.....

Roland
KINETIC is online now Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old May 24, 2011, 03:16 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,866 Posts
Roland's CX2 rocks!

Roland thanks again. Cool graphics! Good to learn the pushrod is spring steel. I had to use a 30X microscope to see the crack next to the pin. The topside looked flawless. No doubt only the force of the launch rotation could make it flex enough to diconnect... The plane was "fine" during warm-ups, and I know I launch harder in a contest so that little extra was all it needed.

I CA'd a piece of tube on the pushrod to finish the contest. I found the position pin was loose after the contest... The stab would move back to it's normal position when I let go of it. Anyway, someday soon I won't overlook something I need to check in a pre-flight routine!
I will continue to use a stop on the pushrod.

All is Good....

Best Regards, Gentlemen
John
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,866 Posts
CX2s RTF M@ ?

RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
CX2s RTF M@ ?
Ugh. Not yet. Its that "work" thing... Plus i had to do a minor repair on my B3. As often as people say that CX2s practically build themselves, I have experimentally confirmed that they do not, in fact, ACTUALLY build themselves

I'm moving along on one of em; just need to glue the completed servo tray in, rig up the wiring harness and install the "Mike Smith" antenna tubes.. I just glued the CR peg in tonight (kinda a pain to hollow out a slot in the wingtip!).

Maybe this weekend?

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
210 Posts
Spektrum AR6255 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy01 View Post
Hi Guys
I would just like to thank Rolland for the great models in prep for the worlds. I have now flown my first one for about six hours now and great launch height (there is no doubt its launching heigher than any of my others) I will be checking it out soon with my Ram.The thermal indication and climb rate is right up there its certaily anthor leap forward.I have now flown in very strong wind and it comes home fine - no ballast All round a great model and fantastic finish and presentaion right down to the packaging!Thanks to Mike Smith who I have talked to on the CX2 for a little while and hes put me straight on a few questions.I have confirmed another order with Rolland - we may even get kiwis painted on these ones!

I would suggest that Horrizon or specktum need longer areials on their 6255 rx's probably 7" or 175mm though for them to clear the carbon leading edge.

Thanks again Rolland
happy Rowdy
New Zealand
So is anyone using the AR6255 in the CX2? Just wondering if I need to go shopping for a different receiver.

Thanks,
Michael.
meiche is offline Find More Posts by meiche
Old May 31, 2011, 12:33 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,529 Posts
Roland thanks as my planes are beautiful. Your craftsman ship is fantastic, and the colors too COOL will put up pics next Monday. Maybe some teaser pics earlier.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:31 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,529 Posts
Flew the new planes and they flew great thanks.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:35 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
I am using the new 6255's with extended antenna's.. They are working well with my Xmode 11X.

Mike
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Roland thanks as my planes are beautiful. Your craftsman ship is fantastic, and the colors too COOL will put up pics next Monday. Maybe some teaser pics earlier.
What colors did you get Georgie???? Cmon, tell us man....

M
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
What colors did you get Georgie???? Cmon, tell us man....

M
Get yer butt up to the Cal Challenge and see for yourself!
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
Can't be in two places at once lexter..... Gunna be flying LARGE gliders in Illinois at the JR Aerotow!!! Super fun, but so will the Cal Challenge be.

Good luck Dude of DLGness.

M
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:08 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,529 Posts
Colors

While George is cutting a C. Robinson curved T-blade into my brand spanking new Stobel-v3 (I know, I know, blasphemy in this thread!) I got the job of posting pics of him and his new colorful CX2's.

The bottom side picture looks good but the picture of the top side does not show the colors very well...

Charlie
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:15 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,846 Posts
HOLYSMOKES!
great looking planes George

These the green and red prototypes you were talking about?
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee