90 Posts
You!

You lucky dog!!
fordarrick is offline Find More Posts by fordarrick
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:48 PM
Champaign, Il
Joined Apr 2007
277 Posts
Over by Sea World there is an airfield (On Mission Bay Parkway, off Seaworld Drive), however it is close to the airport, so you won't be able to test the range or altitude features - but it is pretty. If you get a chance head out to Julian, just because it is gorgeous. I'm sure you could find some property off the side of the road where you could fly. There is a nice park just north of Poway - Lake Poway Park off of Espola road that would be a good place to FPV. If you can get them to let you do it, then you should try to fly at Torrey Pine state park, but I highly doubt they would let you. They fly Parasails and Gliders at Blacks beach off Torrey Pines Scenic Drive in La Jolla.
They do a lot of glider soaring off the cliffs just south of Carlsbad off Carlsbad Blvd/Highway 1
As for official clubs - I wasn't flying when I was out there so I don't know any really. But these are spots where I would love to fly now!
Although with all the fires I'd probably switch everything over to LiFe batteries.
My_design is offline Find More Posts by My_design
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:30 PM
Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
When I lived in the city, I used to fly at Linda Vista park near the bike racing track in the back. It borders the Tecolote Canyon reserve and you get some really cool canyons out there. Just dont use 2.4 for video, I got tons of noise being so close to houses. 1.3 always worked well out there.

I moved up to Oceanside and now usually fly across the street from my house in open construction lots that boder the Vista farmlands. Or you can go off the HWY15 and the HWY76 area. You can exit highway 76 and head east for about ten minutes. Take one of the empty or unpaved side streets that borders open porperty and have a blast. Out off the 76 its really hilly and can be really fun to buzz hilltops.

Most of the coastal areas are freinedly of youre there early enough before all the people get there. The problem this year is the marine layer. It stays really foggy and overcast until about 11-12 and it has not let up all summer. The weather has been terrible this summer (I never thought I would say that about San Diego)

Honestly, anywhere 20 mins east of the city gets pretty open quickly and you'll at least get sunshine in the morning before the winds pick up (unlike near the coast where its overcast until noon everyday).

Let me know if you ever want to do any flying, i'd be more than happy to show you my spots.

btw, in my experiance, most of the clubs down here are jerks to FPVers, so I generally keep away from them for fpv purposes.
emfinite3131 is offline Find More Posts by emfinite3131
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:37 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,707 Posts
IIRC Miramar Airbase has an RC club that flies near the airstrip. But I dont know if it has too many rules being on Govt property.

I am so jealous, I wish I had never moved away form San Diego. Of course here I can afford to live and go to college, so oh well...
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:21 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,121 Posts
Thanks for the info. Maybe we can get a Meet & Greet going at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfinite3131 View Post
btw, in my experiance, most of the clubs down here are jerks to FPVers, so I generally keep away from them for fpv purposes.
Sadly, I've heard that this is true.

This maybe a good option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
IIRC Miramar Airbase has an RC club that flies near the airstrip. But I dont know if it has too many rules being on Govt property.

I am so jealous, I wish I had never moved away form San Diego. Of course here I can afford to live and go to college, so oh well...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:51 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Sqrl! No more Europe? Back in the states?

This warrants an FPV Meet of some sort for the west coast... maybe crash JMSTech's island.
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45 View Post
Sqrl! No more Europe? Back in the states?

This warrants an FPV Meet of some sort for the west coast... maybe crash JMSTech's island.
Sweet!

We're finally in SD!!!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,121 Posts
San Diego (0 min 32 sec)

Sadly, there are no FPV flying sights close by...

Anyone fly out by the South Bay?
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:35 PM
Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
that looks familiar, i can see my office from your video, hehehe.

btw good call moving to mission hills, its really nice up there and alot of really cool bars and restaurants as well, you need check out shakespears pub, the reagle beagle sausage and ale house, and lucho libre taco shop.

i have never flown out of south bay but theres a park right next to the coronado bridge that alot of people fly out of. everytime ive been there guys have been flying gassers and it is not a sanctioned field. the point is that no one seems to care down there and it would be super fun to get some video of the bridge. ive been thinking about doing it myself im just waaaay to lazy to get up and drive down there on a sat. or sun morning hahahaha
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfinite3131 View Post
i have never flown out of south bay but theres a park right next to the coronado bridge that alot of people fly out of. everytime ive been there guys have been flying gassers and it is not a sanctioned field. the point is that no one seems to care down there and it would be super fun to get some video of the bridge. ive been thinking about doing it myself im just waaaay to lazy to get up and drive down there on a sat. or sun morning hahahaha
That sounds like the ticket! I work on Coronado. Is it Tidelands?
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:42 PM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
Im in HB. May be we can meet 1/2 way if there is a place to fly
Mark
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Old Sep 02, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
That sounds like the ticket! I work on Coronado. Is it Tidelands?

Crosby Street park on the mainland side but now that you mention it, tidewater does have that huge grass area off the water that would be perfect for a morning flight before people get there.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo View Post
Im in HB. May be we can meet 1/2 way if there is a place to fly
Mark
I grew up next to the foothill ranch spot ive heard people talking about and that place would be pretty cool, or over by the oakley factory is pretty open.
Oceanside is a good halfway point between hb and sd lots of good beach to fly off of. Trestles would also be cool to fly fpv over everyone surfing. i have a ton of places id like to check out. just let me know, im always up for some good fpv fun.