HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:06 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
332 Posts
I received my approval letter from Jerry. I am proceeding with the Flats. I will update when I have the plans to post.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Iceman67 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,379 Posts
I've been messing around with a Cosmic Wind design. The idea was for a simple balsa fuselage which scratch builders could build. I'll work out how to do the cowl later, probably from blue foam. I got a bit sick of Little Tonis back when they were the favourite in the early days of the new F3D rules (mid 80's), but with the higher aspect ratio wing they look quite clean. The swept forward planform is ideal for pylon racing, although the fuselage isn't as clean as some of the later mid wing aircraft. Still, it should be a nice simple design to build. What do you think Jerry, is it scale enough?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:47 AM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
stu, looks good to me.
jerry
FanTasticModels is offline Find More Posts by FanTasticModels
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:20 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Edwards AFB
Joined Nov 2007
1,630 Posts
I also received approval for my Nemesis. The plans are almost complete, hopefully I will be building before the weekend is over.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,630 Posts
As I go about drawing my plans, I thought it might be nice to start a database of CAD parts that are common to these aircraft. The GPMQ1800 dural landing gear from Great Planes seems to be a nice way to start. I had to draw them for my plane, so I decided why not share? It might save someone else some headache.

Wouldn't it be cool to end up with a whole library of parts (wheels, servos, motors etc.) to choose from that you could just drop in when designing a plane?

I use 2D CAD because that is what my laser cutter requires, so I never learned 3D. I can provide drawings in .DXF and other 2D native formats, but if anyone else would like to share in 2D or 3D, please go ahead!

PM me with e-mail for file.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:31 PM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
Guys,
I had no idea this event would blast off like this. And , it has caused us to tighten up the air frame more quicky than expected. So, here additions and clarifications:

1)Spinner diameter should represent the full size version . Slightly smaller is acceptable.
2)Non- scale protubrances can not be used to meet dimentions.
3)Main wheels shall be 2.5 inches in dia with a hub width and tire width of no less than .700.
4) Wheel pants will be required if found on original and shall be no thinner than 1 inch at axle area.
5)Cheek cowls shall a min 5/8 inch radius at widest point and represent the shape of originals at the front ,middle, and rear. The plan view across both cowls shall be no less than 4.25 inches.
6)Any chin scoops will be represented as in the original.
7)Canopies have to have a min outside radius of 5/8in at the pilot's head area and a min 1.825 in at unfilleted base of canopy. Canopy must represent shape of original version both front and back.

jerry small
jerry@jerrysmallcreations.com
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
Southlake, Tx
Joined Apr 2002
370 Posts
sorry, I meant 2.25 dia on the wheels.
jerry
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:24 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
933 Posts
Finally! A airplane racing format that I can get interested in. I've been waiting.

There's no way I am going to mess around with one of those stinky engines and to me a belly flopper is not a real model plane.

I think you have hit on a good size and cost compromise.

Good job, guys! I hope it catches on here in the Pacific northwest.
Lance Nordby is online now Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:52 PM
Taylor,Mi,USA
Joined Mar 2001
109 Posts
Jerry,
I'm glad you mentioned the canopy width dimension. I check mine and they were 1.6" I've modified them to be 1.875"
I know it's hard, but the reins have to be held tightly. We all know how quickly something like this can get out of hand.
Thanks for doing this thankless job.

Arch
Arch Adamisin is offline Find More Posts by Arch Adamisin
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,630 Posts
Here is a little preview of my Nemesis. Fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:29 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,379 Posts
Does anyone have a dxf of the motor & shaft adapter? I have a motor in its way, I'll make a 3D model of it when it arrives. For now I wouldn't mind being able to place the firewall. On the Cosmic Wind, because I want to design it to be able to be made without moulding anything, I think I'll split the fuselage horizontally along the thrustline, thru the cheak cowls and back to just in front of the canopy where the shape changes (BTW, every model I've seen gets this shape wrong - it's wrapped from sheet alum, no compound curves, there's a distinct change in shape where the front meets the mid section, and then where the mid section meets the tail section, all wrapped from sheet alum). This should give enough access to the motor and batt, with servos accessible by removing the wing.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:30 PM
USA, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2002
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Here is a little preview of my Nemesis. Fun!
Lookin' good so far.
JFisher304 is offline Find More Posts by JFisher304
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:44 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
567 Posts
Hey! Cool event you guys have brewing here. I flew QM15 and Q500 as a kid in the 70's. We flew Boorays and Aircobras. If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were targeting "old" guys like me for this.

With electric motors and wheels would the callers still push the planes at the start of the heats? bill
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:44 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,218 Posts
This might be the event to get me back into racing...I did a little Quickie 500 and a tiny bit of Formula I racing back in the 1970s and early 1980s.

I got to demo Jerry Small's LR-1A down at BEST last October, flying with George Parks and his LR-IA. No pylons, but did di a little racing with each other non the less. The model is a pure delight to fly.

I think Jerry Small and all involved have hit on exactly the right combo to get this going and for it to be a fun event, accessable for most modelers.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:28 AM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
335 Posts
Arch,
I would really love to build that Rivets. I've been pretty successful running a 1/2a version and have been waiting over a year for wing cores for a Dan Kane 40 size.
Down here in the South East we have been pretty successful with Quickie 25 and club 40 for the last few years with increasing interest in 424 and 428 even with the turmoil 428 is having with engines.
I think this class would be very attractive to new and old guys alike.

How do I get a copy of the plans, a short kit,,,anything?
vic welland is offline Find More Posts by vic welland