New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:27 AM
lesterpk is offline
Find More Posts by lesterpk
Registered User
lesterpk's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
958 Posts
Not a lipo, its a LiFe, much more stable, or just don't hit the ground hard mate.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:30 AM
AlpineDSacro is offline
Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
registered user
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,550 Posts
Sidetrack ... has anyone ever actually caused a fire that was out of control and caused more damage other than to the model itself ? Sounds like an urban myth to me ..
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:29 AM
FLY N HIGH is offline
Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Registered User
FLY N HIGH's Avatar
The WALL
Joined Dec 2010
307 Posts
Les, reading more in on the life pack and this is a great option. OK not a lipo.
FLY N HIGH is offline Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:04 AM
Kiesling is online now
Find More Posts by Kiesling
Registered User
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Sidetrack ... has anyone ever actually caused a fire that was out of control and caused more damage other than to the model itself ? Sounds like an urban myth to me ..
While it certainly isn't common, it is definitely not a myth. Do a search on "lipo fire crash" on RCgroups and you'll find examples. Most are people burning down their personal property due to incorrect charging or from delayed lipo combustion after a crash. If you go through enough of the search results, you will find reports of serious fire damage caused by lipos damaged after a crash.

I have been using NMC 18650 cells. The NMC chemistry offers much more capacity than LiFe, but has a lower risk of fire than LiPo or conventional Li-ion. The metal case on the 18650 format cells offers an additional peace of mind (how much it really helps I don't know, but it seems to be tougher than the polymer shell on a lipo).

FWIW
Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:12 AM
Jim Frahm is online now
Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
While it certainly isn't common, it is definitely not a myth. Do a search on "lipo fire crash" on RCgroups and you'll find examples. Most are people burning down their personal property due to incorrect charging or from delayed lipo combustion after a crash. If you go through enough of the search results, you will find reports of serious fire damage caused by lipos damaged after a crash.

I have been using NMC 18650 cells. The NMC chemistry offers much more capacity than LiFe, but has a lower risk of fire than LiPo or conventional Li-ion. The metal case on the 18650 format cells offers an additional peace of mind (how much it really helps I don't know, but it seems to be tougher than the polymer shell on a lipo).

FWIW
Tom

Who sells the NMC 18650 cells or packs?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:01 AM
Kiesling is online now
Find More Posts by Kiesling
Registered User
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,489 Posts
Jim,

These are the cells I've been using
http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=490
and
http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=523

They are very similar in performance but the Samsung I found to be easier to get (and less expensive).

You can get them through Amazon.
I made my own packs.

You can check out the A123 alternatives thread for more info.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:45 AM
target is offline
Find More Posts by target
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,481 Posts
Diversity Model Aircraft in SD sells the pre-made packs.
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:10 PM
FLY N HIGH is offline
Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Registered User
FLY N HIGH's Avatar
The WALL
Joined Dec 2010
307 Posts
Thanks Kiesling and target, I will be using theNMC18650.

Hope to see you guys on the F3F Slope soon.

Chad Meester
FLY N HIGH is offline Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2015, 04:37 PM
winchdoc is online now
Find More Posts by winchdoc
Yes, ALL your money...
winchdoc's Avatar
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,589 Posts
I need to know the dimensions for the pike precision brass ballast bars. Can somebody measure their bars and get back with the dimensions?
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 03:57 PM
carlesf3b is offline
Find More Posts by carlesf3b
Registered User
Martorell-Catalunya (Spain)
Joined Feb 2007
79 Posts
wing, 10 pcs: 12x25x53 mm
joiner, 8 pcs: 10x10x90 mm
carlesf3b is offline Find More Posts by carlesf3b
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:56 PM
ttraver is online now
Find More Posts by ttraver
Team USA F3F Member
ttraver's Avatar
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,251 Posts
There are some shorter pieces for the joiner if you have the skinny fuse.

I don't have the dimensions as to how much shorter, but its probably 4-5 mm in the length of one piece.
ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 01:02 PM
Doug Cronkhite is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
2015 USA F3K Team Manager
Doug Cronkhite's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Ya dude! You know Bert?
Yep. He's very popular in the motorcycle racing community for his incredible paint work.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:20 PM
Jim Frahm is online now
Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Jim,

These are the cells I've been using
http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=490
and
http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=523

They are very similar in performance but the Samsung I found to be easier to get (and less expensive).

You can get them through Amazon.
I made my own packs.

You can check out the A123 alternatives thread for more info.

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom.

I ended up with the cells in the photo also via Amazon and shipped from LiionWholesale.com out of Phoenixville, PA.

I can't wait to try the new cells with the New MKS HV servos.

Best,
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
tomikk is offline
Find More Posts by tomikk
Registered User
Czech Republic, Ústí nad Labem Region, Decin
Joined Aug 2013
24 Posts
PP Electro

Here is another electro version of Pike Precision. Masterpiece;-) Climb well, weight stay under 2,5kg.
tomikk is offline Find More Posts by tomikk
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Stinger F3B/F3F Vaclavs new weapon! SpeedMaster Multi Task F3X 124 Aug 08, 2013 09:00 PM
New Product Samba Model - Pike Precision F3B/F PDX Slope Pilot Multi Task F3X 11 Apr 08, 2011 12:59 PM
Sold Samba Pike-V F3B/F3F bigslopegrin Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 17, 2011 10:21 AM
Sold Estrella "DP" F3F / F3B Model Kyle Paulson Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 15, 2010 10:10 PM
Sold Pike Giant X-Tail F3B/F3F - Damaged PDX Slope Pilot Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 4 May 18, 2009 01:13 AM