Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
4,042 Posts
I've got awesome news to share, PA is doing a storewide 15% off discount this weekend!!!

Click here to read more info about this sale

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...e_id=60&set=US
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
I just dumb thumbed my AMR on final (6 feet high) during landing, down is stead of up elevator

I was able to pull the nose back up and make a 3 point landing followed bye a front flip. My pride was severely damaged (2 club member saw me make the walk of shame), but the plane only cracked a wheel pants

This plane is tough, sexy and bites. So it get the "approved bye Poffertje" stamp. I recommend this plane!

Same goes for the KST servo's, I was unable to break them on the high speed down lines, and minor crash.

Now to clean her again (covered in mud, top and bottom), and put here back together as I did an after crash inspection.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Old Feb 16, 2016, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by Willie T
PA Enthusiast
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
328 Posts
Glad there wasn't severe damage. It really goes to show you how tough these airplanes are!
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:07 AM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
Thanks, lots of luck involved tough, it all happend in less then a second. Had I nosed it, I would have had my first toothpick collection.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 06:58 AM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
Ouch, glad i did an ground test after an esc (over current) shutdown, followed bye an pancake landing. Got a couple of the new turnigy graphene batts and they pulled 51.2A on take off(xoar14x7), resulting in the esc to shut down. Before my first flight i tested WOT after a 5 min run at 30% power and peaked out at 44,2A. After an visual inspection i strapped on a apc 13x6.5, resulting in carnage in the living room

Still have to do an proper inspection, but it seem the motor pulled trough the Cf front plate(i did the fibreglass cloth mod).

She will be rebuild asap.
Last edited by Poffertjesporem; Apr 10, 2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: numbers
Old Apr 10, 2016, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Paleomanjim
Joined May 2014
691 Posts
Wow!!! That is incredible damage. I wonder if there was vibration issues also? Hope you are able to get it rebuilt. I test my rebuilds in the house also, can't let my wife see your pics!
Paleomanjim is offline Find More Posts by Paleomanjim
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
No vibrations, she failed instantly spooling up from 10 % to full power with a full batt. The RPM only got to 6800 according to the log. The Thurst 40 is rated to 45A max (bursts), so setting up an cut off at 50A sounded like a good idea at the time. Never again lol, but is shows i need to practice my power off landings. i was lucky the previous flight as the data shows it peaked at 50A.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Johnfoo
Joined Mar 2015
32 Posts
I think you have had two problems...first the last landing...I think there was beside a damage at the wheel pant, that the motor mount did suffer a crack. Perhaps you did check, but did not see it. Secondly I think also that the APC prop is a heavy load to the whole System. We shall not forget that there is a lot of torque when spooling up.

All in all, a severe damage that will be quite difficult to repair. And please next time, check outside. I can't imagine the reaction of your wife when a prop makes a dend in the wall.
Rgds
John
Johnfoo is offline Find More Posts by Johnfoo
Old Apr 10, 2016, 01:45 PM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
I suspect the crack started underneath the motor and was unable to see them, as the spinner tip hit the ground hard on to different occasions. A new motor box fore sure, some more damage but i still have to take it apart.(only minor damage to the fuse, so an easy motor box change)

No wife, living in a rental house and have insurance, but i am certain i will test outside next time.
Last edited by Poffertjesporem; Apr 10, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by yufasa
'n boer maak 'n plan
United States, PA, Franklin
Joined Oct 2004
245 Posts
I have not even ordered my replacement motor box and cowl. Waiting on next discount/holiday.

So you added an additional CF plate on the inside? Will that not make the wall too thick reducing the clearance of the prop/spinner?
yufasa is online now Find More Posts by yufasa
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:44 PM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
No discount in Europe, so i could order them straight away. The plate is 2mm thick, so i installed longer bolts, and i will need to make some room (washer or sanding) but ill be ok with that. I don't like that the motor is fitted on wood, as it sinks in over time and/or during maintenance.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by superduke1
Joined Mar 2012
125 Posts
Nice job on the motor box replacement was the motor box originally epoxied in place or did you use wood glue.
superduke1 is online now Find More Posts by superduke1
Old Apr 28, 2016, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
6,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduke1 View Post
Nice job on the motor box replacement was the motor box originally epoxied in place or did you use wood glue.
Yes. A very nice and clean job.
It takes a little bit of time but getting all of the old motor box out of there so that the new motorbox can sit flush is important.

Plus, I love the bolstered CF firewall.
This plane really should have that already all that done at the factory, IMO.

BTW... I used epoxy when I rebuilt mine.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Refining the Hanger
Old Apr 28, 2016, 05:41 PM
Thumbs are overrated.
Joined Nov 2014
572 Posts
thanks guy's

This time i only used epoxy, as i had 2 cracks that needed extra support, on the original build i first glue it on with wood glue, then finished all seems with epoxy to spread the load.

I also modded my addiction x with the same CNC machined CF plate, after 1300 flights, 8 propeller, and countless bad landings, the motor mount started to developed a hump(motor migrating forward) and was in dire need of reinforcements.