New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by zen4013
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
426 Posts
Question
Can someone please give me a DEFINITIVE answer?

I have an older model DX6 DSM Park Flyer System radio that I am loathe to give up. I only have one of the old receivers for it, and new ones are either impossible to find or god-awful expensive.

I have read several HUNDRED pages of forum posts both here and on other RC sites trying to determine if I can install a different communications protocol into that radio. I dont care if it is DSMX/2, or AHFDS, or whatever...I just want to continue using my DX6 with newer receivers.

The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4GHz DIY module says it will work with ANY PPM radio, but I have also read that my Spektrum DX6 uses a negative pulse instead of a positive one and so the Orange module wont work.

My head hurts. Can I just get a yes or no answer?

Can my Spektrum DX6 radio be easily modified to use the newer receivers, and if so....which protocol/manufacturer is best?

I know I can get a decent 6 ch radio for less than $100. I LIKE my DX6. I like the feel and the weight and the orientation of the controls and switches.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart
zen4013 is offline Find More Posts by zen4013
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Spektrum User
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Can my Spektrum DX6 radio be easily modified to use the newer receivers
Nope. Some would even say if you had to ask then it wouldn't be easy for you. Re-sale for those should still be decent if you wanted to upgrade to newer stuff.

Good Luck
Spektrum User is offline Find More Posts by Spektrum User
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
481 Posts
Your Radio does not support modules and uses an abandoned protocol.

You might hack one of the DIY modules (FrSky DHT or OrangeRX) and install internally, but it would be a lot of effort (including circuit tracing) for a radio with zero support and very limited capability. The Orange module is a crapshoot in terms of DSMX compatibility, but it should understand the PPM stream from your radio just fine (assuming there is one internally), the FrSky DHT module is probably a better choice (more reliable and fully compatible with FrSky D8 ACCST receivers). This will likely not be a simple task, although most of the difficulty is on the side of figuring out how to install, not actually installing.
mawz is online now Find More Posts by mawz
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum User View Post
Nope. Some would even say if you had to ask then it wouldn't be easy for you. Re-sale for those should still be decent if you wanted to upgrade to newer stuff.

Good Luck
It's an original DX6, little resale value for what was essentially a one-off product that was abandoned as soon as DSM2 came out.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
32,596 Posts
I think he was referring to the receivers, which are not especially easy to find and often sell for more than original list price. I know a guy who sold his DX6 and several AR6000's and made enough money on the deal to buy a new DX9 and enough receivers to fill his planes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I think he was referring to the receivers, which are not especially easy to find and often sell for more than original list price. I know a guy who sold his DX6 and several AR6000's and made enough money on the deal to buy a new DX9 and enough receivers to fill his planes.

Andy
True, the AR6000 should be worth something.

EDIT: Oddly, I ran across a pair of NIB AR6000's at one of my LHS's less than an hour after posting this.

They did have some interesting older stock. Picked up an X9503.
Last edited by mawz; Jan 24, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Hugh P
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
652 Posts
I have done surgery on several DX6 DSM transmitters to install an Orange DSM2/DSMX module and can do the same with any module that does PPM FrSky etc.

The DX6 DSM encoder outputs PPM so it is just 3 wires to connect to the module. Remove the old RF deck and then mark out the back of the DX6 with the module size. Use an Xacto saw to cut the pocket in the back of the DX6. Solder a 5 pin header to the cable that connected to the old RF deck. From the bottom up pin 2 = GND pin 3 = +V Pin 5= PPM in

Hot melt or silicon the Orange module in the back of the DX6 case and plug in the 5 pin header to the Orange module. Power up and bind to you new receiver. Sell your old DSM receivers and have money left for more receivers.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz View Post
True, the AR6000 should be worth something.
I saw a guy on the classifieds here offering 3 AR6000's for sale just the other day.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Joined Jun 2006
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen4013 View Post
I have an older model DX6 DSM Park Flyer System radio that I am loathe to give up. I only have one of the old receivers for it, and new ones are either impossible to find or god-awful expensive.

I have read several HUNDRED pages of forum posts both here and on other RC sites trying to determine if I can install a different communications protocol into that radio. I dont care if it is DSMX/2, or AHFDS, or whatever...I just want to continue using my DX6 with newer receivers.

The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4GHz DIY module says it will work with ANY PPM radio, but I have also read that my Spektrum DX6 uses a negative pulse instead of a positive one and so the Orange module wont work.

My head hurts. Can I just get a yes or no answer?

Can my Spektrum DX6 radio be easily modified to use the newer receivers, and if so....which protocol/manufacturer is best?

I know I can get a decent 6 ch radio for less than $100. I LIKE my DX6. I like the feel and the weight and the orientation of the controls and switches.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart
Here 'ya go if you want some AR6000's. Guy's got three at $18.00 each shipped or $45.00 for all three. Sounds like a bargain to me....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2586283
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,379 Posts
I wonder if I can convert a Teddy Ruxpin bear to fly my new jet -----------
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 25, 2016, 01:25 AM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I wonder if I can convert a Teddy Ruxpin bear to fly my new jet -----------
Childish sarcasm, interesting.

Perhaps it would be best NOT to comment unless you actually have something worthwhile to say?

HughP, I have read where several folks had problems getting that setup to bind up with receivers, and that it can be a hit-or-miss kinda thing. I've opened my DX6 and it has the simple 3 wire connection to the RF board, so the Orange DIY kit would be a simple install. I just have my doubts about how well the final product will function.

ZEEB, thanks for the heads up. I PMed him and hope to get those receivers.

Everybody has their own style of flying and their favorite radio. It's rarely a matter of logic and more likely to be a sentimental preference.

I still have 2 Hitec Laser 4's that I love to fly with, as well as some old Plantraco DSP4-SC and GWS Naro receives.

Being 55 and semi-retired/semi-disabled I have to use what I have laying around for the most part. I have no need for anything other than a 4 ch radio for 80% of my flying, and I actually get a kick out of the challenge of using what I find in my old "box of stuff'.
Last edited by zen4013; Jan 25, 2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,379 Posts
Lighten up -
Zeeb needs a tx with a comfortable grip and where he flies, a warm tx would be a boon- Teddy may be a perfect fit!
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 25, 2016, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Hugh P
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
652 Posts
Zen We have had no problems with binding or range to DSM2 and DSMX receivers. I do understand that some of the UMX receivers do have problems.

Most of our local fliers that still use spectrum equipment are using Orange or Lemon receivers in foam planes.

Other thing to understand is that the DX6 is old so you may be looking at new battery pack, stick pot problems etc in the future. Having started flying RC with tubed TX & RX I have a lot of older RC gear and like to keep it working as long as possible.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Joined Jun 2006
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Lighten up -
Zeeb needs a tx with a comfortable grip and where he flies, a warm tx would be a boon- Teddy may be a perfect fit!
Hmmm.....

So far I've only let Andrew and Darin fly my jets, not too sure about letting Teddy have a go at the sticks on one of 'em....
Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:21 PM
Zen
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2004
426 Posts
Hugh, thanks for the info.

The DX6 is indeed 7 years old but has a new NiMh pack and is in perfect working order.

I was able to score three AR6000 receivers for 40 bucks, so that will keep my DX6 happy for quite a while. I'm not the type of flyer that has 10 or 12 planes sitting around with full electronics installed. Hell, I rarely had 5 planes completed and in working order when I used to fly more often. I'll probably use the AR6000's in my scratchbuilt foamies and the newer receivers in my store bought planes with the DX5e. I still have a couple of Laser 4's for micro planes and fun-fly stuff.

Most of my planes are still 3 ch RET types and very slow flyers....that's they way I like it.