Old Jan 21, 2016, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by VegasRC1
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2016
34 Posts
Discussion
HH Sport Cub S2

Hi, I have been flying my SCS2 for a few weeks and I am having issues with trims. When I throttle up more than half throttle it pitches up/climbs and also tends have a slight left bank. It does most of the time then once in a while it will fly straight. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the AS3X electronics. Maybe faulty?

My control surfaces are adjusted, CG is fine, maybe a bit tail heavy but my battery is all the way forward. It glides fine but when on the throttle I always need to correct with down elevator. I have tried to ad a click or three down elevator trim but when I throttle back it wants to dive....

I'm puzzled. I flew for years in the past and never had these flying characteristics in a plane. I also never had an airplane with gyro/stabilizing technology. That's why I think it has to do with the AS3X.

I did read a few other's posts and they had the same issue(climbing). It sucks flying then all of a sudden needing to correct with down elevator.... then diving a little when it figures out I'm giving down elevator. Any info would be great.

Note: it does fly fine sometimes.. then it flies like its out of trim.
VegasRC1 is offline Find More Posts by VegasRC1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
1,097 Posts
If you are referring to the UMX Sport Cub it's designed to fly level at approximately 50% throttle. The manual even states it will climb as the throttle is advanced, so at 3/4 throttle or more it will definitely climb. It's the way it was designed. As far as turning/banking left, it could be the motor angle is slightly off due to a hard landing.

The AS3X is a gyro stabilizer that helps correct/mitigate sudden changes such as from a wind gust. It tries to keep the plane's heading constant when hit with a change not caused by the control surfaces.
BoxCar31 is online now Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2016
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31 View Post
If you are referring to the UMX Sport Cub it's designed to fly level at approximately 50% throttle. The manual even states it will climb as the throttle is advanced, so at 3/4 throttle or more it will definitely climb. It's the way it was designed. As far as turning/banking left, it could be the motor angle is slightly off due to a hard landing.

The AS3X is a gyro stabilizer that helps correct/mitigate sudden changes such as from a wind gust. It tries to keep the plane's heading constant when hit with a change not caused by the control surfaces.

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the manual. The plane does fly ok sometimes then suddenly acts like it's out of trim. Full throttle it tracks pretty straight once in a while then I hit the throttle again only to see it climb. Just about goes vertical sometimes. Same thing with the left bank. It's fine then wants to bank/turn(not glitching) out of nowhere.

I have not had any crashes/hard landings yet.. Looked at the prop shaft and it's pretty straight, not to the right like I usually see. Maybe it does not have the correct angle but it does not explain why the turning issue happens off and on.

I will try and fly at around half throttle next few flights and see how it goes. It is a slow flyer so I'm gonna treat it like one.

I do have another one being delivered, I'll be able to fly it and see the difference. Maybe I had got a bad one. Out of the box the elevator push rod was bowing/flexing giving me little control. The prop wobbles like it was cross threaded and the original battery only took 2 or 3 charges, now it only gets like 2 minutes. No big deal on the battery. They're inexpensive so I did get a few extra.

I would say it flies good about 30% of the time. Rest of the time I'm having to correct it's flight. Hopefully the new one flies smooth. I do believe its a gyro issue but I'm new to electric flying so I'm guessing.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRC1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the manual. The plane does fly ok sometimes then suddenly acts like it's out of trim. Full throttle it tracks pretty straight once in a while then I hit the throttle again only to see it climb. Just about goes vertical sometimes. Same thing with the left bank. It's fine then wants to bank/turn(not glitching) out of nowhere.

I have not had any crashes/hard landings yet.. Looked at the prop shaft and it's pretty straight, not to the right like I usually see. Maybe it does not have the correct angle but it does not explain why the turning issue happens off and on.

I will try and fly at around half throttle next few flights and see how it goes. It is a slow flyer so I'm gonna treat it like one.

I do have another one being delivered, I'll be able to fly it and see the difference. Maybe I had got a bad one. Out of the box the elevator push rod was bowing/flexing giving me little control. The prop wobbles like it was cross threaded and the original battery only took 2 or 3 charges, now it only gets like 2 minutes. No big deal on the battery. They're inexpensive so I did get a few extra.

I would say it flies good about 30% of the time. Rest of the time I'm having to correct it's flight. Hopefully the new one flies smooth. I do believe its a gyro issue but I'm new to electric flying so I'm guessing.
This little guy is a great flier but it is sensitive to wind. 4-5 mph or more and it wants to balloon going upwind and descend going downwind.

You won't be able to correct this with trim. A least I can't.

P.S. - I taped a dime to the under side of the nose (just over the forward part of the battery cut out) and that really helped a lot.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:49 PM
Joined Jan 2016
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post
This little guy is a great flier but it is sensitive to wind. 4-5 mph or more and it wants to balloon going upwind and descend going downwind.

You won't be able to correct this with trim. A least I can't.

P.S. - I taped a dime to the under side of the nose (just over the forward part of the battery cut out) and that really helped a lot.

I will try some nose weight.

I took it out yesterday(2-4 MPH winds)and made sure the control surfaces were neutral. Soon as I took off, it was flying with the tail out to the right like I was flying into a crosswind. Few turns later and it was gone, same goes for the climbing. Happens off and on. It does fly decent and straight........ when it wants.

ONLY other possibility may be my modification to the plane. Used a piece of toothpick across the fuselage to prevent one of the push rods from bowing. Maybe there is pressure on the rudder push rod causing it to stick. I'll remove it just incase. Then I'll be limited on the elevator.

Chose this plane after a long break from the hobby and can say it really helped with the nerves of the first few flights. Except for the little quality control issues. Guess I expected it to fly like a much heavier balsa plane.

Hopefully nose weight will help.
Last edited by VegasRC1; Jan 25, 2016 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Jan 26, 2016, 05:06 PM
Joined Jan 2016
34 Posts
So, I added nose weight(lead) and filed a bit where the push rods rub on my toothpick support. I decided to leave it in place. Was hoping for a few flights today but there's a breeze....

There is pictures of the rudder with trim needed to fly straight, my toothpick job and also the worst part.... the fuselage paint..